• WIN

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • FAIL

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Meh

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't want CJ Spiller any earlier than the second round.

I don't want CJ Spiller any earlier than the second round.

Why not? I think the chances of him falling to the 2nd round are slim to none, so I assume you don't want him at all. Not sure why. Do you feel that Jahvid Best and Dexter McCluster are cheaper alternatives who can do just as well? Do you feel that Spiller won't get enough touches to justify a 1st round pick? Do you just not think he's that good?

Why not? I think the chances of him falling to the 2nd round are slim to none, so I assume you don't want him at all. Not sure why. Do you feel that Jahvid Best and Dexter McCluster are cheaper alternatives who can do just as well? Do you feel that Spiller won't get enough touches to justify a 1st round pick? Do you just not think he's that good?

Jahvid Best would look excellent with a Flying Elvis on his helmet, assuming he has a line to run behind.

I don't feel he's worth a first round pick, not from us.

He's definitely a first round talent, probably top 10, but I want a lineman/pass rusher before a glorified third down back. For him to be worth a first round pick for us he'd have to be a three down player, and he's not. It would be a serious miss-use of our opportunity if we take him at #22.

If we're going to go for that kind of player, then Best (but again, later than he's penned to go) or McCluster would give us more bang for the buck. IMO.

Last edited:
I don't feel he's worth a first round pick, not from us.

He's definitely a first round talent, probably top 10, but I want a lineman/pass rusher before a glorified third down back. For him to be worth a first round pick for us he'd have to be a three down player, and he's not. It would be a serious miss-use of our opportunity if we take him at #22.

If we're going to go for that kind of player, then Best (but again, later than he's penned to go) or McCluster would give us more bang for the buck. IMO.

Agree with you except for the "glorified third down back" part. Spiller is a talented runner with experience in the passing game. My only issue with taking him in the first round is that he operates best in space and his effectiveness goes way down when he has to sort through a traffic jam at the LOS. The Pats already have that guy on the roster today.

I have trouble picturing our first two rounds of the 2010 without a OG taken.

1) Neal is done. He's said as much since the end of the season
2) Mankins will want some pretty serious coin and while I hope we give him a nice contract, I'm not so sure that we will?

It is time to refresh this part of our team. One of our seconds needs to go to the OG position.

Here's a draft over at Football's Future, where they often bring the FAIL.

For once, though, I'm not sure if it's, as the title suggests, a win, a fail, or just meh.

McClain, Dan Williams, Iupati, Cody, and Hughes are all off the board at 22, but Sam Bradford is not, so this mocker has the Redskins trading with the Patriots. The Pats trade out of the first round altogether, and get a 2011 2nd and a 2010 5th.

37) Patriots (from WAS): Navorro Bowman, OLB Penn St
44) Patriots (from JAX): Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh
47) Patriots (from TEN): Golden Tate, WR Notre Dame
53) Patriots: Micah Johnson, ILB Kentucky

If the Pats ONLY got a 2011 2nd and a 2010 5th, then its a fail regardless of who is drafted. Also, Micah Johnson suffered a pretty bad knee injury during his Bowl Game. It looked to be more than just an MCL injury as Johnson wasn't really able to put weight on it.

I think that Johnson has slipped into the later rounds.. (4th/5th) because of his injuries.

If the Pats ONLY got a 2011 2nd and a 2010 5th, then its a fail regardless of who is drafted. Also, Micah Johnson suffered a pretty bad knee injury during his Bowl Game. It looked to be more than just an MCL injury as Johnson wasn't really able to put weight on it.

I should have been clearer: they got a 2011 2 + a 2010 5 in addition to #37 from WAS this year.

I should have been clearer: they got a 2011 2 + a 2010 5 in addition to #37 from WAS this year.

Then it's only a Meh.. As I mentioned, Johnson got hurt in his bowl game.

As for Bowman, he's undersized as a 4-3 OLB. I can't see him in the 3-4..

I think that Johnson has slipped into the later rounds.. (4th/5th) because of his injuries.

May only be a MCL, perhaps Grade 2.

Johnson left the game with what Coach Rich Brooks described as a strained MCL in the first quarter and did not return. Brooks said the extent of Johnson's injury will be determined within the next 24 to 48 hours.

"It's not major, major, but it's not a band-aid injury either," Brooks said.
Micah Johnson strains MCL | KentuckySports.com

I can't find any more information about the injury more recent than that. But it suggests there was no ACL involvement and that it may have only been an incomplete tear.

He may skip the Combine to avoid putting up poor numbers while rehabbing, but I imagine he'll run at his Pro Day. Six months between the injury and training camp should be more than enough time for him to fully rehab the knee in advance of the new season. That said, I think he's done the same MCL before so that is a concern.

Since this draft is fairly weak at linebacker I can still see a case for drafting him...if only we had a 3rd round pick! If we really like him and we get the players we like with our first three picks then perhaps trade back the 53rd pick to the mid-60s, picking up a 4th round pick on the way, and take him at the start of the 3rd round. Alternatively we could just take him at 53 :)

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back