PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the Patriots trade Ryan Mallet ?

Afam

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I think so. I just have that feeling. Some teams qb's are going down like flies and acquiring a player like mallet will help solve their problem. Teams like the bills even with EJ Manuel in the fold and the jets.

Re: Will Ryan Mallet get traded ?

I think so. I just have that feeling. Some teams qb's are going down like flies and acquiring a player like mallet will help solve their problem. Teams like the bills even with EJ Manuel in the fold and the jets.

Wait, what's the question?

Unless someone like McElroy or Hoyer gets cut leaving a conventional option as a backup QB, no.

The compensation isn't going to be good enough to trade him. He's actually looked better this preseason than he had in either of the two previous ones. I wouldn't trade him unless I could acquire a guy like Case Keenum via the waiver wire.

If a team is stupid enough to pay the Patriots an arm and a leg for a guy who is not at the level of an starting NFL QB yet...then yeah probably.

Otherwise, no.

BB isn't going to let his only backup to Brady go in a trade unless there is a viable option to replace him. That would be Rexesque.

Tebow is NOT a viable option at QB.

I don't think he will, because Tebow has done nothing to show he's a competent backup, but the question does bring up an interesting thought experiment:

Let's say Mallett tears it up in the 4th preseason game. If one of these teams with QB injury problems offered up a 1st rounder for him (again, this is hypothetical, I don't expect this), do the Patriots take it and take their chances on a street FA for the year? Would you, as a fan, be ok with this move?

I don't think he will, because Tebow has done nothing to show he's a competent backup, but the question does bring up an interesting thought experiment:

Let's say Mallett tears it up in the 4th preseason game. If one of these teams with QB injury problems offered up a 1st rounder for him (again, this is hypothetical, I don't expect this), do the Patriots take it and take their chances on a street FA for the year? Would you, as a fan, be ok with this move?

If it's a first round pick then hell yes!

Won't happen though.

For a first rounder I'd pack his bags and drive him to the airport myself. ****, I'd fly with him as his personal peanut procurer.

Exactly. That's my thought on the matter. If a desperate team offers a first round pick for mallet do you say no. I wouldn't.

If a team was stupid enough to offer up a first in sheer desperation for Mallett, I'd snap their hands off because there's a pretty good chance that would put the Pats right into Clowney territory.

Re: Will the Patriots trade Ryan Mallet traded ?

The only way we trade mallet is if the vikings offer us a 2nd round pick and matt cassel

No

1) He sucks
2) As bad as he is do we really want Tebow running the offense?
3) No team is going to offer more than a 6th rounder because of point #1

If a team was stupid enough to offer up a first in sheer desperation for Mallett, I'd snap their hands off because there's a pretty good chance that would put the Pats right into Clowney territory.

A GM of a team that turns down a deal like that for a guy like Ryan Mallett should be immediately relieved of their duties.

For that reason.

We need to have a backup QB.
We only have one* of them on the roster.
Thus he will not be traded.

*People with a passer rating of zero do not count. Vince Wilfork could step in at QB and surpass that.

For anything less than a 1st Round pick I say no.

Tebow is not a legitimate backup QB. If Brady was forced to miss a few games I think Mallet could keep us competitive, Tebow... uh no.

For a first round pick, I would absolutely trade Mallett. After that, I expect Hell would also freeze over.

Some of you guys are simply crazy.

Mallett is not even worth a 6th round pick right now.

There is a difference between a team being desperate and just plain stupid.

What in the world has Mallett shown that makes anyone think he is sought after over all the other teams #2 backups?

We need to have a backup QB.
We only have one* of them on the roster.
Thus he will not be traded.

*People with a passer rating of zero do not count. Vince Wilfork could step in at QB and surpass that.

Damd those idiots who put Terry Bradshaw in the HOF who did it 3 times.

You can't trade Mallett with no viable back-up on the team.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back