PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the Patriots trade Ryan Mallet ?

Jamarcus Russell has a heck of an arm. :bricks:

Actually, I disagree. By "arm" I don't mean just raw strength, but the ability to make a variety of tough throws. Jamarcus Russell would never have beaten out Brian Hoyer.

Mallett's problem, oddly, seems to be making the easy throws. It's almost like he can hit a bullseye, but ask him to hit a barn door and he gets all flustered. Maddening to watch, for sure.

Guys, take the damned Great Tebow Debate #756 over to the other thread and stop polluting this one.

Nope. He's our #2 for the foreseeable future. Why trade him? He looks like he's a competent backup (at least after that last game) and he doesn't cost that much. He also gives you the luxury of not having to carry a 3rd QB.

1. Brady has easily another 3-5 years left in his career maybe more. Why would Mallet want to wait minimum 3 years before he can even start a game?

2. Mallet's value right now is as high as it ever will be.

3. The Pats already have a competent backup qb in Tebow who can fill in for Brady and win games if he ever went down with an injury.

Actually, I disagree. By "arm" I don't mean just raw strength, but the ability to make a variety of tough throws. Jamarcus Russell would never have beaten out Brian Hoyer.

Mallett's problem, oddly, seems to be making the easy throws. It's almost like he can hit a bullseye, but ask him to hit a barn door and he gets all flustered. Maddening to watch, for sure.

Mallet is a low-rent Drew Bledsoe. If he had to start like Cassell did in 2008 I don't think he would be as succesful as Cassell was.

1. Brady has easily another 3-5 years left in his career maybe more. Why would Mallet want to wait minimum 3 years before he can even start a game?

2. Mallet's value right now is as high as it ever will be.

3. The Pats already have a competent backup qb in Tebow who can fill in for Brady and win games if he ever went down with an injury.

Subtle troll is subtle.

I'm a Ryan Mallet fan (I know, so you're the one). I would not trade him for anything except a #1 (not going to happen), his current value is in the 3rd - 5th round range. We need a Kevin Kolb, Carson Palmer situation. I don't think Pats would trade him within division (J E T S Jet Jets Jets or Buffalo - which is looking stop gap with Manuel coming back. Didn't the Raider just trade a boatload for Carson Dailey. What Pat picks in round 2 & 3 from 08-13 would you trade him for.

08 Wheatley/Crable/O'Connell .. ah no.
09 - Chung/Brace/Butler/Tate/VOLLMER/McKenzie - If I was Cincy, I would trade Tate for Mallet in a heartbeat. Seabass is a keeper.
10 - GRONK/Cunningham/SPIKES/Price
11 - Dowling/Vereen/RIDLEY
12 - Wilson/Bequette .... Ugh
13 - COLLINS/Dobson/Ryan/Harmon

With our track record in rounds 2,3, I think we should pass. Rounds 2 & 3 what could have been? Oh well - moving forward - Keep Mallet unless blown away with an offer you can't refuse. I don't see it happening.

If Cincy cuts Dontay Moch - I would love to see him as a situational edge rusher, (he's currently overmatched as full time DE). Orson Charles or Clay Harbor would also be worth a look.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back