PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the Patriots draft a WR early to help Mac Jones in the 2022 draft?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will the Patriots draft a WR early in the 2022 draft to help Mac Jones [IE in the top 2 rounds]

• Yes, and he's going to be a huge Success!

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Yes, but he's going to FAIL and be N'Keal Harry 2.0!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, BB won't draft a WR early at all!

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • No, BB will trade for a veteran WR instead!

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other, Ray Lewis killed a man!

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other, I've got another scenario in mind, let me explain.

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So the 2022 draft is coming up. The Patriots lacked an impact weapon to move the chains in 2021. Will BB draft WR help early for Mac Jones? Or will he leave his shiny new rookie twisting in the wind with no help on the horizon? I feel like the Patriots need to make some kind of effort even though they have a HORRENDOUS track record with drafting receivers. Only 2 good WRs taken in the last 20 years - Edelman and Branch. And a huge BUST of a pick in the 1st round in N'Keal Harry. And pretty much every other receiver they've taken has been out of the league within 2 years and contributed nothing except maybe a little on special teams, uh Bethel Johnson anyone?

So what do you predict? Will BB draft some help for Mac Jones? Who will it be? Will we finally strike gold in the draft at the wideout postion or does BB do a full retreat and just refuse to draft WR since he stinks at doing it in his 20+ year career as a head coach so far?

Sorry, but there is too much needed to fix the defense. Contrary to the canard postulated by too many, the Patriots HAVE numerous weapons on offense. Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith, Nelson Agholor (for the time being), Kendrick Bourne, Damien Harris, Rhamondre' Stevenson and Jakobi Meyers. They need to use THOSE weapons. The DEFENSE is why they lost so many games this past season. And with the likelihood of them NOT having HT, Collins, and Bentley back plus needing someone else on the DL (preferably a true NT) Defense for 3 of the first 4 picks is all but essential. And that doesn't even get to the Pats also have need at CB. Someone who can play both on the outside AND in the slot, even if they retain Jackson.

I've mentioned that I think that they need to see about exploring a trade of Agholor and Harry to the Raiders for a 3rd and 5th round pick. I think that would go a long way to being able to add a WR in the top 3 rounds, but there is no way I go higher than 3rd round. My pick is Kyle Phillips out of UCLA. I see him as nearly an Edelman clone who is faster.

I've mentioned that I think that they need to see about exploring a trade of Agholor and Harry to the Raiders for a 3rd and 5th round pick. I think that would go a long way to being able to add a WR in the top 3 rounds, but there is no way I go higher than 3rd round. My pick is Kyle Phillips out of UCLA. I see him as nearly an Edelman clone who is faster.

LOL if we can pry a 3rd and 5th from the Raiders for Agholor and Harry I'd consider that highway robbery. We get big cap relief to go after a free agent or resign one of our own, and we flip a useless asset for a draft pick/rookie who will likely contribute much more for us than just cutting Harry sometime during training camp. :p

Thinking they'll draft a WR in Round 4 or later. Both lines need help more than WR IMO.

As sexy a pick as a star WR would be, I suspect the first pick will be a lineman on either side of the ball, probably after a trade down.

That's what I would do, anyway.

My first pick - either at 21 or preferably 32/33/34 for an extra top-70 pick - is being spent on Defense, no questions asked...Then I would look for Metchie with my 2nd-rounder or preferably with 65/66/70 so I can spend my own 2nd-rounder on Defense again...

That's what I would do, anyway.

My first pick - either at 21 or preferably 32/33/34 for an extra top-70 pick - is being spent on Defense, no questions asked...Then I would look for Metchie with my 2nd-rounder or preferably with 65/66/70 so I can spend my own 2nd-rounder on Defense again...
That’s the smart play and I think the value will be there for that position. Metchie is intriguing, although I also like Pierce out of Cincinnati, perhaps a little later.

No, not until at least round 3 or 4 and I think defence has the greater need. I also think that this year could be a trade down from pick 21.

WR need usually gets everyone involved , I like Myers/Bourne/Henry and unlocking Smiths potential can be huge. But, its Agholor or his position that needs to be reviewed by BB and the coaches.

The biggest need is a wes welker/ JE11/ Dola type WR. Need someone who can win 1-2-1 in the slot and get those easy 3-7 yards. We missed having that type this season.

That’s the smart play and I think the value will be there for that position. Metchie is intriguing, although I also like Pierce out of Cincinnati, perhaps a little later.

Not too much later with Pierce... He & a couple of others like WanDale & Romeo are near the top of my list of 3rd-round WRs if Metchie is already taken...

There is an interesting interview with saban, where saban says the reason he opened up the offense a few years back was because with the rules changes, good offenses can beat good defenses!

Time for bb to read that interview and follow suit. First thing saban did was start recruiting five star receivers.

Three receivers could immediately help jones next season. Burks (Arkansas used him a lot in the slot.) olave (undersized, but a good route runner who looks like he could pick up option routes quickly.) Dotson (undersized, but a playmaker none the less.)

My favorite receiver in this draft is Robinson and our offense needs a gadget guy so badly! Robinson is perfect for our offense as he can do a little of everything. Jones desperately needs this guy.

I agree with Ochmed. It’s time to get EXPLOSIVE weapons to help Mac progress. Bourne and Henry were nice signings, but neither are explosive, Henry is an excellent security blanket and red zone target, and Bourne had a nice 1st year with the Pats, but no defense in the NFL is afraid of the Pats offensive weapons.

Every good/great NFL QB has a good weapon or two. Look at Mahomes with Kelce & Hill, hell Burrow’s 3rd best receiver is better than the Pat’s BEST receiver. Herbert has Williams and Allen (both 1100 yard receivers), Josh Allen has Diggs, Beasley and Sanders (and Knox). Brady had Evans, Godwin, Gronk, Brown (for half a season), Stafford has Kupp, Beckham, Jefferson, etc. Carr has Waller and Renfrow. Prescott has Lamb, Cooper, Gallup, Shultz, etc.

You can see what I mean. These QB’s have the luxury of have great, explosive weapons to use. Jones has quantity, but not quality. Can he get by with those guys, probably, but I think the Pats need to give him the best chance to succeed, and that means explosive weapons, even if it’s just one.

My suggestion, If he’s there, grab WR Treylon Burks from Arkansas at 21. He’s basically a bigger Deebo Samuel. Would not be surprised if he runs under a 4.45 at the combine. He’s 6’3” 225, with excellent speed and hands, and they used him on gadget plays as well, end arounds, WR screens, just to get the ball in his hands, because he’s such an explosive weapon. Those who say he’s another N’Keal Harry, don’t know what the hell they are talking about. He’s WAY more explosive than Harry, and did great things vs SEC defensive backs, gets plenty of separation, though he wins most 50-50 plays as well. I see some Julio Jones in him. He would make a great weapon for Mac.

Then add another later round speed guy. A guy like Jalen Tolbert from South Alabama and Christian Watson from North Dakota State should be available in rounds 3 or 4.

This offense, as it currently is now, scares nobody, they need explosive weapons added to their average weapons.

Think Burks will run in the 4.3 to low 4.4s if I’m honest. Guy is legit fast and he bullied Alabama DBs.

I still think we need to look at a quick slot guy. Kyle Phillips, Calvin Austin. Need someone who can win instantly as we lacked that this season. Need that Wes Welker/JE11 type

Not early. I don’t think we will draft one until day 2-3. I could see Pickens in the 2nd round or Pierce later. I think we have to go D or OL in the first round. I could see Booth or Elam at CB, Dean or Lloyd or ILB, Davis at DT, and Green or Penning at OT.

I think we will go the FA route at WR. I’d love to see Godwin or OBJ, but won’t hold my breath.

Only reason why I'm saying he won't is because I've been conditioned to think/see early round WRs as not being critical parts to a championship teams.

Cincinnati is in the Super Bowl without an offensive line and a 1st Rd qb throwing it to a trio of wrs drafted within the first 2 rounds.

I'll be rooting for a WR...but expect a DT OT or CB.

Only reason why I'm saying he won't is because I've been conditioned to think/see early round WRs as not being critical parts to a championship teams.

Cincinnati is in the Super Bowl without an offensive line and a 1st Rd qb throwing it to a trio of wrs drafted within the first 2 rounds.

I'll be rooting for a WR...but expect a DT OT or CB.
Would you be disappointed if bb traded down? There are not 21 guys in this draft with a first round grade, but there are a ton of guys with 2nd and 3rd round grades.

Would you be disappointed if bb traded down? There are not 21 guys in this draft with a first round grade, but there are a ton of guys with 2nd and 3rd round grades.
No... Deep down I know considering situation And the position we are in that more top 100 picks would have a bigger impact.

personally my favorite player is Jordan Davis, however if they took wilson or williams who am i to complain? They will make the team better.

If they are taking any WR it's gonna be Metchie

Burrow/Chase showed you how a QB/WR with a rapport from college can work nowadays.

Last edited:
If they are taking any WR it's gonna be Metchie

Burrow/Chase showed you how a QB/WR with a rapport from college can work nowadays.

That looks fine, but now he'd have a weak armed goofball throwing to him :wink:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back