PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Patriots make a run at Demaryius Thomas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean the guy who was already on the team and just set a TD record while his QB set a passing TD record and they had the highest scoring offense ever? Umm, I wouldn't extend that exception to Demarius Thomas.

I wouldn't either. But his productivity since 2012 is comparable to Moss in his prime, so its not so ridiculous. I agree the team is much more likely to shell out top dollar for guys who have proven it on their own squad - but I don't think we can just dismiss the thread entirely.

You mean the guy who was already on the team and just set a TD record while his QB set a passing TD record and they had the highest scoring offense ever?

I think this is a critical distinction. BB's Patriots have been as willing as any team to sign long-term, big-$$ contracts...to retain players who have already proven themselves as Patriots. Gronk, Mayo, Vince, Mankins, etc. all got paid handsomely.

But bring in a FA from another team, and you're adding another risk factor. Double that at WR, where forming a mind meld with Brady >> any physical skills you bring to the table.

Last edited:
There is no way Peyton lets him walk. They will sign him and tag Julius. Peyton needs his weapons. They won't have to pay Welker next year so that is about $4M

I think this is a critical distinction. BB's Patriots have been as willing as any team to sign long-term, big-$$ contracts...to retain players who have already proven themselves as Patriots. Gronk, Mayo, Vince, Mankins, etc. all got paid handsomely.

But bring in a FA from another team, and you're adding another risk factor. Double that at WR, where forming a mind meld with Brady >> any physical skills you bring to the table.
History proves you are correct on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't either. But his productivity since 2012 is comparable to Moss in his prime, so its not so ridiculous. I agree the team is much more likely to shell out top dollar for guys who have proven it on their own squad - but I don't think we can just dismiss the thread entirely.
I see 0% chance.

Barely? They paid him $9mm a year, the top annual pay for a WR in league history, IIRC. They were also willing to pay Welker $8mm a year in 2012 and $6mm a year for Branch in 2006.

I'm not sure where the idea that NE refuses to pay for WRs comes from. Maybe they don't draft 'em too high, and they are always looking for an arbitrage opportunity, but when they find one they like, they pay him.

They paid him but they drew a hard line with him and risked losing him to the eagles.

I see 0% chance.

The odds aren't great, but I would be surprised if Belichick saw it as 0%. He's one of the best players at his position and he changes the way the opposition plays, and Belichick likes and values those guys. Sure, Thomas will probably get overpaid, and I agree we will not be the ones to do so. But we've still dipped our toes in the water on guys we knew would get overpaid (Julius Peppers).

The odds aren't great, but I would be surprised if Belichick saw it as 0%. Sure, Thomas will probably get overpaid, and I agree we will not be the ones to do so. But we've still dipped our toes in the water on guys we knew would get overpaid (Julius Peppers).

We don't need DT. Dobson is going to have his break out year next year. He's just been hampered with that foot injury......

How about the other Thomas: TE Julius Thomas could any Defense stop an Offense featuring him and Gronk?? Our Two TE stets would be leagues better than the one with the criminal. BB would pass on the WR but I doubt he takes a similar approach with a very good TE.

How about the other Thomas: TE Julius Thomas could any Defense stop an Offense featuring him and Gronk?? Our Two TE stets would be leagues better than the one with the criminal. BB would pass on the WR but I doubt he takes a similar approach with a very good TE.
Honesty, I'm not impressed by Julius Thomas at all. I don't even think he would be an upgrade over what Tim Wright will be after a full offseason with the team and some added weight.

The Ayers sack on Manning was directly related to J. Thomas whiffing on a block. He is, quite simply, not a real tight end, just like Jimmy Graham. He is an oversized wide receiver who is a massive red zone threat, but beyond that, he is nothing special. He is more likely to end up like Eric Decker, as a JAG on another team. Besides his high number of TDs, he's merely a 700/800 yard guy in THAT offense.

The Eagles? Who are we talking about?

Randy Moss. Im going off memory so I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain we were bidding against the Eagles and he came very close to taking a better deal there.

Randy Moss. Im going off memory so I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain we were bidding against the Eagles and he came very close to taking a better deal there.
No. He signed very quickly here. There was nothing more than rumor of who may be interested.

demaryius is great, but he isn't leaving denver.

speaking of overpaying, some team is going to be dumb enough to overpay for julius thomas. put any half decent TE in denver's offense and he has the same exact production. delanie walker would look like an all pro.

Thomas is the real deal. If he isn't asking for the moon, NE will definitely be interested.

Thomas is the real deal, but he will be asking for the moon, and the Pats have better places to spend their money. Great player, but no realistic chance of it happening.

Thomas is the real deal, but he will be asking for the moon, and the Pats have better places to spend their money. Great player, but no realistic chance of it happening.

I don't know him personally (or even impersonally) so I'll take your word for it. NE won't break the bank, but I think they'd spend more than most fans would expect.

I don't know him personally (or even impersonally) so I'll take your word for it. NE won't break the bank, but I think they'd spend more than most fans would expect.

Denver offered him a 5 year deal in June, and most people expect it will take $12M/year or more AAV to sign him.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ered-5-year-contract-extension-denver-broncos

Do you see the Pats spending that kind of money?

Personally, I expect the Broncos to use the franchise tag on him if necessary. D. Thomas >>> J. Thomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back