PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Patriots make a run at Demaryius Thomas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Denver offered him a 5 year deal in June, and most people expect it will take $12M/year or more AAV to sign him.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ered-5-year-contract-extension-denver-broncos

Do you see the Pats spending that kind of money?

Personally, I expect the Broncos to use the franchise tag on him if necessary. D. Thomas >>> J. Thomas.

No, I don't. And if he is asking for that kind of money then Denver will absolutely franchise him. I expected them to regardless.

I don't know him personally (or even impersonally) so I'll take your word for it. NE won't break the bank, but I think they'd spend more than most fans would expect.
It's not that I don't think the Pats will/would spend money, I just think Bill doesn't value the position of WR as highly as a lot of fans and media people do. I think he subscribes to the 'shiny hood ornament' theory.

No, I don't. And if he is asking for that kind of money then Denver will absolutely franchise him. I expected them to regardless.

They do have a lot of key players needing deals but I agree, DT should be slapped with the tag. Manning doesn't have many seasons left and Osweiller has never looked like the answer. Once Peyton retires that team will blow everything up and not want to be strapped down to a mega contract WR with a rookie at QB.

Build the defense and bring in security blanket type receivers (Welker clones, Boldin types) and a strong running game for the post-Manning era, big play receivers are generally a waste with a rookie QB.

If we can resign Revis and McCourty first, I'd consider Thomas. But I think he is out of our price range once we re-up our guys. It's the defense that won the Denver/NE matchup not the flashy weapons at wideout.

It's not that I don't think the Pats will/would spend money, I just think Bill doesn't value the position of WR as highly as a lot of fans and media people do. I think he subscribes to the 'shiny hood ornament' theory.

I disagree. I think he doesn't value most wide receivers as highly as the fans and media. Wide receivers are, in general, a bigger commodity than any other position in the NFL, and they are always on the highlight reels and filling up the stat sheets, but that doesn't mean that their value is particularly high on the Belichick market.

Now, certain wide receivers are worth the asking price, and I'd be surprised if D. Thomas isn't worth a long conversation.

BB will NEVER pay the overinflated prices guys like that command for a WR. Not gonna happen.
Just like he wouldnt pony up for Revis? There is no blueprint for what BB will and won't do. Hed pony up for a wide out in the right situation like he did with Moss. Cant see D.Thomas coming here with the cash we have left vs Denver. hopefully they lose one of the thomas'

does anyone think denver will lose one of the Thomas' or does it look like they can retain both?

I'd prefer the team:
  1. Extended Revis, McCourty and other necessary players before adding some impact players on D (preferably pass rush depth/upgrades),
  2. Add Linebacker depth (perhaps a MLB starter if we can't count on Mayo to stay healthy),
  3. Continue to improve the OL,
  4. Add another TE (Hooman is a good blocker but we could do with an upgrade), &
  5. Improve at RB (Ridley is an unknown next season).

Last edited:
Just like he wouldnt pony up for Revis? There is no blueprint for what BB will and won't do. Hed pony up for a wide out in the right situation like he did with Moss. Cant see D.Thomas coming here with the cash we have left vs Denver. hopefully they lose one of the thomas'
No, not like that. He's always clearly placed more value on some positions than others. The Pats set a value on every position on the field. CB is one of the positions he places a higher value on than WR.

does anyone think denver will lose one of the Thomas' or does it look like they can retain both?

@Miguel would be the guy to ask about that. In my opinion, they should be able to make a deal with one and tag the other. Wes retiring should help free a bit of cap.

I agree. I expect Denver to come to terms with one of the Thomases and franchise the other, and someone else (such as Welker) get the ax.

Both. Sign one, franchise the other.

Both. Sign one, franchise the other.
They also have a ton of cap space to play with. Denver will extend them both and continue adding pieces to their team.

I don't think this guy has the character BB looks for. He threw Tebow under the bus after he left, while BB respected Tebow enough to bring him in for a training camp when no one else wanted him.

It's one thing to have general thug tendencies as a character issue (not saying DT does) and something totally different to lack respect for your teammates.

The guy folds against elite CBs Talib shut him down last year in both games before he got injured and in Superbowl yeah he broke the receptions records but more than half of them came with the game out of reach. Rather have the team resign Revis and Mccourty and improve the defense more. We've seen that as long as Brady has the Gronk he doesn't need anymore weapons wouldn't hurt though

I'd rather snatch Von Miller away from them. He's probably the only guy I

But I feel like Denver's priority, if they had to rank their FAs:

1) D Thomas 2) Von Miller 3) Julius Thomas

I can see Julius leaving next season. Possibly to the Seahawks

@Miguel would be the guy to ask about that. In my opinion, they should be able to make a deal with one and tag the other. Wes retiring should help free a bit of cap.

They should be able to keep both. The Broncos have over 10m in cap space
https://nflpa.com/public-salary-cap-report
that they should be able to roll over into 2015.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space#y2015 shows the Broncos under the 2015 projected cap of $140 million by $32 million. The more the cap goes up in 2015, the easier it becomes for all 32 teams to retain their players.

Von Miller does not become an UFA until 2016. The Broncos could extend him next year thereby lowering his 2015 cap number from 9M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back