PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will our WRs make plays out of the slot? + Will Brady be able to adapt and master the vertical game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The loss of Edelman seems to have changed complexion of the Patriots offense. No matter how you spin it, a traditionally horizontal offense going heavy vertical is an adjustment that takes time.

There were so many more vertical throws from Brady than I'm accustomed to seeing. The stats (courtesy of @ScottBarrettDFB) bear this out:
  • Tom Brady's average depth of target today was 16.1. Across 142 games this past decade, his prior high was only 13.6.
  • Tom Brady threw 11 percent of his passes further than 20 yards downfield last year. He threw 30 percent that far last night.
  • 47.3% of Tom Brady's passes traveled 15+ yards through the air. Once again, this was the highest this past decade, with his average rate being 20.0%.
I'm not worried about Tom's ability. The velocity is still clearly there. At this point, it's all about adjusting to an offensive system that's likely to become increasingly vertical.

Meanwhile.....while Brady seemed to force an usual amount of deep throws, I also observed a lack of solid slot receiver plays from three WRs better suited to making plays outside the numbers or down the field:

Cooks: 39 routes, 21% slot
Hogan: 39 routes, 64% slot
Dorsett: 15 routes, 20% slot

Again, small sample size, and this is just one game to start the season. But with Amendola out on concussion protocol and Mitchell on IR, the Patriots only have 3 receivers (Dorsett, Cooks, Hogan) who are all better vertically than horizontally and a QB who is better throwing horizontally than vertically!

This could take time to gel...... but I trust in Bill and believe in Tom. And with a healty Gronk and a talented backfield, I am confident the offense will return to its usual form! GO PATS!!!!!

Last edited:
I don't think anyone thought Hogan would struggle the way he did. And Amendola did what he always does....get hurt. Amendola was the biggest disappointment for me. I have faith our D will turn it around but this passing attack is extremely concerning. Brady seems lost without Edelman/Amendola.

Trying to turn Brady into a deep chucker would be like offroading with a supercar. Why do it?

If we don't have anyone on the roster who can play the slot, then we should go out and get someone who can. Those guys are out there, and this definitely isn't the time to be expressing my misgivings re: the fact that Carr is a Saint now, but I really think he could have been part of the answer here. But regardless, if it's someone else then it's someone else. Let's get a WR if we need one, not try to recast the GOAT in a new role that doesn't get the most out of any of his strengths.

Losing Edelman is a knock out punch. Amendola isn't near him in elusiveness or quickness, guy has heart but can't touch 11. They're gonna have to adjust somehow, I figured there would be growing pains moving forward.

Losing Edelman is a knock out punch. Amendola isn't near him in elusiveness or quickness, guy has heart but can't touch 11. They're gonna have to adjust somehow, I figured there would be growing pains moving forward.
I agree with you, although I fully expected Amendola to step up with the underneath stuff in Edelman's absence and he did.

He had a 6 catch, 100 yard performance until getting hit in the head on the PR. No, he wasn't as elusive and quick as JE11, but he was still good enough to help the offense move and score 27 points and be leading in the 4th quarter. Shame he went down.

I agree with you, although I fully expected Amendola to step up with the underneath stuff in Edelman's absence and he did.

He had a 6 catch, 100 yard performance until getting hit in the head on the PR. No, he wasn't as elusive and quick as JE11, but he was still good enough to help the offense move and score 27 points and be leading in the 4th quarter. Shame he went down.

Yeah man injuries have been brutal so far. Mitchell would of helped today to had he been available.

I don't think anyone thought Hogan would struggle the way he did. And Amendola did what he always does....get hurt. Amendola was the biggest disappointment for me. I have faith our D will turn it around but this passing attack is extremely concerning. Brady seems lost without Edelman/Amendola.

Yeah how dare he get a knee to his head and get concussed. Amirite ?

Also are you sure you really want to go with your Hogan take ? There are enough people here who were saying from early in preseason that Dola is the more important player compared to Hogan because he is the only real slot depth whereas Hogan is someone who can do a lot but is master of none of it.

Trying to turn Brady into a deep chucker would be like offroading with a supercar. Why do it?

If we don't have anyone on the roster who can play the slot, then we should go out and get someone who can. Those guys are out there, and this definitely isn't the time to be expressing my misgivings re: the fact that Carr is a Saint now, but I really think he could have been part of the answer here. But regardless, if it's someone else then it's someone else. Let's get a WR if we need one, not try to recast the GOAT in a new role that doesn't get the most out of any of his strengths.

No Carr would not have been part of the answer. The coaching staff thought so little of him that they didnt want to keep him around even with Mitchell heading for IR.

We have enough players to play in the slot with White, Burkhead and Dola (when back from concussion). They just need the time to gel and find the new offensive identity like they do every season.

If we convert the fourth downs, Chung bats that pass to Hill down and Gilmore/DMac dont blow that one coverage we most probably win this game and everyone talks about how sloppy the game was. Now because we screwed up those 3-4 plays suddenly its an unmitigated disaster. The truth is somewhere in between.

Last edited:
From my big comfy couch my eyeballs tell me the game plan sucked, and Brady did not show much confidence in his new array of offensive weapons..

Brady almost seemed aloof, not that I expect SB excitement for every game, but I do expect more fire..

I'm by no means clairvoyant on football stuff but I was afraid this was going to happen.

If the NEP offense was a song, JE11 is the beat, rhythm and harmony.

Whenever things go sideways, JE11 is there to keep the offense moving and on track.

Very similar to the olden days when Wes was here then got hurt.

DA is the next best thing but clearly he got hurt and not sure he can make it through the season.

Hopefully TB12 can develop a rhythm with Cooks or someone else....soon.

Chris Hogan, where all the buzz was how he was going to have a big year, had 1 catch for 8 yards. And Amendola, the leading receiver for the Pats in the game was the biggest disappointment?:eek:

jules was a massive loss, many wrongly figured that with all the weapons they still had that they would be OK. Yes, it was game 1, but I didn't like what I saw, but then again, the chiefs are a solid team.

Chris Hogan, where all the buzz was how he was going to have a big year, had 1 catch for 8 yards. And Amendola, the leading receiver for the Pats in the game was the biggest disappointment?:eek:

Yes his injury was a massive disappointment for me. Any chance of winning seemed to disappear after he left. The best ability is availability. I'm not trying to downplay his injuries, but for whatever reason he gets hurt when it seems to be his time to shine.

More likely than not, he will make all of this a distant memory with some post season magic.

There's no doubt Brady is playing out his comfort zone, with the loss of his most trusted receiver and playing shorthanded with a new cast of teammates.... but I wouldn't suggest any drastic changes to the offensive scheme due to one game. There's still plenty of time for Tom to adjust his game as needed. But if they could bring in someone like Anquan Boldin to help him move the chains, that would be great!

the pats simply did not game plan to win........sorry, but 4 of 8 to the RB's in the passing game tells me they were just trying other ****

and the defense? you can't tell me that having Richards out there is the staff trying to put the team in the best position to win the game

top it off with 2 4th and inches where all Brady has to do is lean forward and they try the same thing twice

kick off coverage was pretty good

the pats simply did not game plan to win........sorry, but 4 of 8 to the RB's in the passing game tells me they were just trying other ****

Agree 100%. Between the the lack of creativity in the gameplan and play-calling, and the lack of intensity from the players, the game did sorta have a preseason-vibe. SMH

Between Burkhead, White, and Lewis, you would think one of them could take over the "slot" role. Maybe DJ Foster should be converted to a WR

This is only one game folks.

Losing Edelman hurt, but the KC gameplan prioritized stopping short passes and Gronk. The deep ball was made to appear available, but ultimately was often disguised well or covered almost perfectly.

Cooks did not run crisp routes and doesn't yet seem to understand the offense enough to reach his potential.

Our OL did a mostly terrible job on inside carries.

KC LBs did great covering our backs.

Brady definitely forced too many downfield throws.

McD went to the well too often with Hogan sweeps.

All that said, the offense put up 27 on a damn good defense. The biggest problem was that OUR defense was easily run on, thus keeping Brady off the field.

Between Burkhead, White, and Lewis, you would think one of them could take over the "slot" role. Maybe DJ Foster should be converted to a WR

Agreed. White, Lewis, and Burk got split out wide quite often, but I thought we'd see more 2 back sets than we did.

The slot seemed clogged, so I'm suprised we didn't see more bubble screens or quick outs.

^ Credit to KC then, maybe their defense was that good (last night) and took away a lot of those slot routes. The great thing about White, Burkhead, and Lewis is that they can line up anywhere. I think they just need to be more creative with them and keep moving them around, try to be unpredictable. All 3 of those guys can run the ball too so just because they are in there won't always indicate a run play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back