PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Our Running Game Be Better Than In 2020

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Will our running game be better.

I think that the running game will be improved because of the expected improved blocking by the TE's. Of course, if we substitute ABC at QB, it is likely NOT to be better.

If we can get brown performing back to his previous run blocking level?
Will onwenu at left guard be a much better run blocker than thuney?
can Wynn actually stay healthy for 16 games?

the more we answer yes to these questions, the better our run offense will be versus last year.

2 TE means we may not see a FB on the field very often. Interested to see what formations they run. Maybe a lot of 1 wr sets with a TE out wide

2 TE means we may not see a FB on the field very often. Interested to see what formations they run. Maybe a lot of 1 wr sets with a TE out wide
We would be successful in a 2 TE, 1 WR, 1 RB, 1 FB set at least some of the time.

Assuming everyone stays healthy, yes. Harris and Michel will be running through the Grand Canyon often.

It seems clear 2 TE will be the base and yeah that means no FB most of the time but it’s not like we have devlin back there.
We like to move one of the TEs to lead in the running game too.
I think where we really benefit is when we spread and make them decide whether to treat them like TEs or WRs. That opens up the inside running game that was really strong with gronk and Hernandez here.

We would be successful in a 2 TE, 1 WR, 1 RB, 1 FB set at least some of the time.
Not often. We would be running until a full big box.

Not often. We would be running until a full big box.
But then they could flex the TE out wide along with the rb or Fb

Yes with Brown at LT and Onwenu at RT. No if Wynn breaks down again at LT

But then they could flex the TE out wide along with the rb or Fb

if we move keane to fullback, that would allow us to split the tight ends out and the defense would still have to respect the pass, provided keane can catch something other an std!

I think the line will perform roughly the same. The difference will be seen if our passing game is at least average this year and teams cant completely neglect our passing threat, in which case harris and michel should feast this year. so im expecting yes due to the additions of agholor, henry, smith.

It most certainly has the potential to be better with what seems to be an improved OL & definite improvement at TE, but may not reflect statistically due to the “upgraded” (looking @ you Newton) passing attack.

if we move keane to fullback, that would allow us to split the tight ends out and the defense would still have to respect the pass, provided keane can catch something other an std!

I don't think we play with a fullback much anymore . 2 expensive TEs, we should play 12 personnel almost all the time unless we're in 3rd and long.

I don't think we play with a fullback much anymore . 2 expensive TEs, we should play 12 personnel almost all the time unless we're in 3rd and long.

i can honestly say that I have watched smith block a lot for Henry in tenn. and would be ok as in-line tight end for us.

Henry, I have not seen much on him, probably because he is always hurt, so for him, we will need to see how he does in training camp and preseason.

but a fullback who can catch can be a huge weapon in our offense, if newton can throw a catchable ball.

i can honestly say that I have watched smith block a lot for Henry in tenn. and would be ok as in-line tight end for us.

Henry, I have not seen much on him, probably because he is always hurt, so for him, we will need to see how he does in training camp and preseason.

but a fullback who can catch can be a huge weapon in our offense, if newton can throw a catchable ball.

I'm pretty excited for this offense. Jonnu Smith is wicked quick. His run after the catch is elite. They had him getting screen passes and other trick plays on the Titans. He does a ton of what a fback or hback does. He's a way better Hernandez, I think. Henry is a conventional TE. I think Bourne is very solid and has a similar game to Meyers. I'm still not a fan of the overpay for Agholar but he does seem like our best deep threat now. I wouldn't bother with having a FB on the field at this point, who would you sit? I think we're pretty deep at TE and WR now so a fb would take a spot away from a better player.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back