PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Newton Find a Job

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
It appeared no other team showed any interest in either of the last 2 seasons. Are there any teams that might want to sign him? I imagine it would be for the vet minimum and as a #3, if anyone did.
He may just retire.

Very little interest in the past. Barring injury, can’t see interest exploding on Aug 31…

Maybe Houston? But if his goal is to compete for a starting role, there aren't many teams that would give him that chance as of right now.

It’s more likely he will get one after a starter goes down somewhere.

He should, he's not a bad guy, he's healthy. A backup role is the easiest job.

I am sure they tried to deal him and had no takers.

Not if he wants to start

If he wants to sign with a team, he will get a job. If he wants to sign with a team where he has a realistic shot to start, probably not.

His best shot to start again is to wait until someone gets injured and then come into a team. There is no guaranteed that is going to happen.

As a starter. No way.

As a backup. Maybe.

Will he find a job? Absolutely. Probably become a talking head on ESPN or somewhere similar.

Newton has a guaranteed $1.5M salary (subject to offsets). Someone would need to pay him at least that. Maybe he can get $2M or more as a backup. More likely, he'll wait and hope to start when someone is injured.

Leave it to Jerry...either way good luck to him. Not sure why he would rather go to another team and be a backup. Unless Bill didn't give him a choice?

If Ron Rivera actually liked Cam and didn’t think he was a terrible teammate, I don’t see why WFT wouldn’t want him. But I think he’s always been a headcase with a huge ego, despite knowing how to play the cameras. Teams where he could come in now as a backup competing for a starter role because QB1 has huge question marks:

-Miami
-Indianapolis
-Houston
-Washington
-Philadelphia
-New Orleans

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft