PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Newton Find a Job

If Ron Rivera actually liked Cam and didn’t think he was a terrible teammate, I don’t see why WFT wouldn’t want him. But I think he’s always been a headcase with a huge ego, despite knowing how to play the cameras. Teams where he could come in now as a backup competing for a starter role because QB1 has huge question marks:

-Miami
-Indianapolis
-Houston
-Washington
-Philadelphia
-New Orleans
What exactly is this based on? His teammates love him and BB was a big fan of his leadership.

I think teams will be hesitant to bring an unvaccinated backup QB in. Availability is a requirement of the backup QB and we are now hearing reports the Patriots were not happy when Cam had to sit for 5 days. Ron Rivera is a cancer survivor and he’s been vocal about having his players vaxxed. Scratch Washington. The other issue is the offence you run for Cam likely won’t be the same one you run for your starter. Maybe Dallas, but I still think Jerry would ask him to get vaccinated.

What exactly is this based on? His teammates love him and BB was a big fan of his leadership.

These things have been listed in numerous threads. The college scouting report, the public spats in Carolina with numerous teammates calling him out. I know people in Charlotte who know him well off the field…his reputation precedes him.

You don’t know what his teammates actually think of him or how he handled this training camp with Jones breathing down his neck.

Go ahead and disagree…the fact is, most of you bought into the idea yesterday that Mr. Ideal Teammate/Mentor (just ask him) is an excellent choice to support Mac’s development. Today he is no longer on the team. Definitely one of the most impressive actors in the NFL though…no one has ever been so over-the-top exuberant for his successor, letting the entire world know about it. :whistle:

Will he find a job? Absolutely. Probably become a talking head on ESPN or somewhere similar.
That would probably be his best bet. He is a personality and entertaining for sure.

Newton has a guaranteed $1.5M salary (subject to offsets). Someone would need to pay him at least that. Maybe he can get $2M or more as a backup. More likely, he'll wait and hope to start when someone is injured.
I think his career is over actually.
I cannot imagine a team with a qb injury saying let’s bring in cam Newton and hand it over to him.

There’s a lot of talk on the radio down here in Atlanta of Cam maybe coming home and backing up Matt Ryan

It appeared no other team showed any interest in either of the last 2 seasons. Are there any teams that might want to sign him? I imagine it would be for the vet minimum and as a #3, if anyone did.
He may just retire.
Or....

im-122970.jpeg

There’s a lot of talk on the radio down here in Atlanta of Cam maybe coming home and backing up Matt Ryan
They have Rosen and a rookie.

If Ron Rivera actually liked Cam and didn’t think he was a terrible teammate, I don’t see why WFT wouldn’t want him. But I think he’s always been a headcase with a huge ego, despite knowing how to play the cameras. Teams where he could come in now as a backup competing for a starter role because QB1 has huge question marks:

-Miami
-Indianapolis
-Houston
-Washington
-Philadelphia
-New Orleans
I was going to say the Colts. Wentz is an injury away (even while on the C-19 reserve list), and right now they have a 2nd year guy with the auspicious name of Eason. If Cam can accept being the insurance guy / situational QB then this could be a spot for him.

Classiest thing BB could have done if he was reasonably sure that Mac was going to have to take over sooner rather than later.

As a back up...for sure...particularly for a rushing QB like Lamar Jackson, maybe Josh Allen next year when Trubisky moves on?, Atlanta? They have Felpie Franks/Josh Rosen, Dallas...they don't have a good back up, and etc....

Or he could reinvent himself as a TE....if Logan Thomas and Tim Tebow could do it/tried to do it....why not? He looked good catching a TD in week 17 last year...

Will he find a job? Absolutely. Probably become a talking head on ESPN or somewhere similar.
As Ellerby said to Dignam, "world needs plenty of bartenders."

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back