PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I read about Sean Smith and his projections, the more I like him in our system. Bill likes guys who can play several positions and this guy looks like he can play CB and safety. I would not be surprised if we go this way. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if Bill picks a OG with our first pick or even Percy Harvin, so...

I could see us making DB our #1 priority in the draft and choosing between Will Moore, DJ Moore, and Sean Smith, depending on availability and what needs we address in FA. DJ Moore is closer to our pure CB model. William Moore is a pure safety. And Sean Smith offers some versatility to play both, and perhaps the highest upside.

I'd be very surprised if Belichick doesn't choose a productive player at #23. Meriweather, chosen at #24, had almost 300 career tackles, while starting 27 games at the Safety positions. Sean Smith, projecting to FS in this thread, had most if not all of his starts at CB. He's certainly athletic, but would BB take a chance on someone with his first pick, who hasn't proven he can make the transition? And if he can't, are his CB skills good enough to warrant the #23 pick?

Moore had a nagging ankle injury this past season which limited his effectiveness. If he came out as a jr he would have been a very strong candidate to be picked in the top 15. This kid is going to be an excellent NFL safety no doubt in my mind. He is physical and he's also a playmaker both vs the run and pass. He has excellent size and uses it pretty damn well to lay the lumber to WR's/TE's that come over the middle. His sr season aside I think what separates him from the other safeties in this draft is his cover ability at that size (6-1, 230). He locates and goes up and makes plays on the ball as well. I also love his aggressive, physical play which reminds me of #37. The only problem I see is that since FSU's Rolle and USC's Mays will not be entering this draft, that could make a team reach for him as a top 15 pick. I don't really like Oregon's Chung all that much, he's physical and strong but he seems slow and like he needs some NFL seasoning. I would love to have this kid be available at #23 and wouldn't hesitate to trade up a few slots to get him on my team. The Pats will certainly have the ammo to do so if they wish.

The National Football Post | Senior Bowl Practice Recap
SS Patrick Chung struggled playing the center field-type role during 11-on-11 drills. He was turned around a couple times and lacked the range and re-direction skills to make up for a false step. This looks like a trait that will follow him through his NFL career.

Too bad - at one point I thought Chung might be a good round 2-3 possibility.

Tony Pauline at TFYDraft (writing for CNNSI) listed William Moore among his day 1 sliders: "Moore has been labeled as a run defending safety with poor coverage skills and did nothing to shake that reputation on Monday. He struggled moving laterally and at one point was left lying on the ground after attempting to cover a receiver from the North squad."

The link is:

Senior Bowl practice report, Day 1 - NFL - SI.com

Too bad - at one point I thought Chung might be a good round 2-3 possibility.

Tony Pauline at TFYDraft (writing for CNNSI) listed William Moore among his day 1 sliders: "Moore has been labeled as a run defending safety with poor coverage skills and did nothing to shake that reputation on Monday. He struggled moving laterally and at one point was left lying on the ground after attempting to cover a receiver from the North squad."

The link is:

Senior Bowl practice report, Day 1 - NFL - SI.com

Was reading this today.. No way the Pats draft a liability like that in the secondary. especially how they play left/right with the safety position. The pats system requires the safety to be balanced in the pass and run..

Was reading this today.. No way the Pats draft a liability like that in the secondary. especially how they play left/right with the safety position. The pats system requires the safety to be balanced in the pass and run..

Excuse me but don't we NEED a in the Box type SS...one that's like a LB ie...Bob Sanders - Rodhney Harrison? We already have a rangy guy in Merriweather we need a in the Box type now. Now with his poor showing we won't have to move-up for William More @ 23.:cool:

Last edited:
Seems to me the Patriots have trouble defending the pass.

With Wilfork, Seymour, Warren, Mayo, we do well at stopping the run.

Mike Mayock reports from the Senior Bowl practice that Moore was a Top 20 as a junior and a 4th rounder as a senior following a variety of injuries. They will be watching his Senior Bowl performance to see if he's bouncing back.

Mike Mayock reports from the Senior Bowl practice that Moore was a Top 20 as a junior and a 4th rounder as a senior following a variety of injuries. They will be watching his Senior Bowl performance to see if he's bouncing back.

That sounds about right. Two completely different players from what I saw.

Excuse me but don't we NEED a in the Box type SS...one that's like a LB ie...Bob Sanders - Rodhney Harrison? We already have a rangy guy in Merriweather we need a in the Box type now. Now with his poor showing we won't have to move-up for William More @ 23.:cool:

You want to bring up a Safety to stop the run.. Usually that is the last resort when you can't stop the run.. I rather see Wilfork and my two ILB stop the runs up he middle.. And the olb contain on running plays..

BTW Rodney Harrison is a well balanced player.. People often think he's better suited to the line but in reality, he's just in good in space.. He can most elite Te's in the league..

Ouch. That sucks for him. Still though, potential is there as evidence in his junior season. Should take a flier on him later on.

Seems to me the Patriots have trouble defending the pass.

With Wilfork, Seymour, Warren, Mayo, we do well at stopping the run.

The Patriots were 15th against the run giving up an average of 107.6 YPG and 4.1 YPC. I don't call that doing well.. It was mediocre. Now, some of that can be attributed to losing Thomas, Woods, and Bruschi, as well as having Mayo and Guyton in there. But its still not good.

This is the first I've heard of Moore being such a liability that he was a 4th round pick and no long considered a day 1 lock. And one day of bad practice doesn't mean he's off the Pats radar either.

It will be interesting to see how it continues to play out.

This is the first I've heard of Moore being such a liability that he was a 4th round pick and no long considered a day 1 lock. And one day of bad practice doesn't mean he's off the Pats radar either.

It will be interesting to see how it continues to play out.

honestly never seen him play.. Not worried what the Pats are going to do with their 1st round pick. They usually are solid drafting in the 1st round. I'm more worried what are they going to do with the rest of the day 1 picks.

Per the article there is a mention Moore is not great in coverage, a weakness of his.. Again never seen him play but my point is, & we all know this, the Patriots thrive on players that can do multiple things.. A safety who can play in space and at the line would score higher in their rating system..

ANd if Mayock says he's dropped, he's dropped.. The guy is the best in the business..

Last edited:
Mayock is almost surely correct, which is shocking considering how well Will Moore has looked the past two seasons during the season.

There are always a couple of guys who end up going WAY later than originally anticipated once it turns out they are not the pure athlete that you expect from their collegiate performance. I truly hope this is proven to be incorrect, but if he is slow in coverage, he is going to struggle.

I am starting to get more intrigued by Sean Smith by the day.

If that drops Moore to the round 2-3 area, that's not really a bad thing. Means that the Pats can look for a better player in the 1st round, and maybe come back to Moore later if they still like what they see in him.

He might have to convert to LB after what I saw today. He was exposed big time in coverage, he did not look good at all. Chung looked a lot better.

Yep, seems he's looking good for a Tampa 2 OLB.

Yep, seems he's looking good for a Tampa 2 OLB.

Or as a hybrid S/LB like Rodney and Tank Williams. People forget that Moore had 8 picks his junior season as a coverage Safety. As a Senior, he played mostly nickel back as a quasi-linebacker vs the run. If he hasn't proven at the Senior Bowl that he can show flashes of his junior year (in coverage), of course his stock will drop. I'm still keeping him on my Pats board, regardless of the poor reports, and hope he slides to round two.

It's still early too say. Guys can have bad practices and bounce back. Let's see what happens in the game itself. I will be curious how Moore redeems himself, if he can do it. His numbers certainly suggest that he would be a ballhawk type safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back