PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Garoppolo still be a Patriot when the draft ends?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Garoppolo still be a Patriot when the draft ends?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I allowed to mention the dream/nightmare I had ?

Brady requested a trade to SF to be closer to his parents. The Patriots traded him to SF for their #1 and #2. Patriots drafted Jamaal Adams at 1.2. Then they traded 2.2 + Chung + #72 to move up and take Reuben Foster.

When I remembered my dream, we had added Foster to Hightower, replaced Chung with Adams. And explained why we added so much to the offense this offseason - because we were going from The GOAT to The Jimmy.

Dreams can be weird.
Sure. Did TB leave Gisele and the kids behind?

Well done.

You wanted to see how many would "Agree/Disagree" or "Like/Dislike" a completely meaningless statement, which is not saying a whole lot when it comes to Garoppolo speculation since 99.9% of the literally thousands of posts on the subject on this Board have, indeed, been "completely meaningless."

The mythical "Jona Guglia Meyer" was your version of a ;). In fact, if you Google "Jona Guglia Meyer," the first Search result is your post.

Pretty damn good. Right up there for "Post of the Year."

It was late and I was just trying to have a little fun with the 15th JG thread. Unfortunately I can't take credit for the Google search result. I just typed a name off the top of my head so the search result was a funny coincidence.

I think the analysis involves two major questions:

1. Can you win a SB with JG if TB is injured? If you don't think so, then you probably want to trade him. If yes, probably not.

2. What is the return if he is traded? If the return is amazing, you might be persuaded to deal. If it is mediocre, then you probably keep him.

Am I allowed to mention the dream/nightmare I had ?

Brady requested a trade to SF to be closer to his parents. The Patriots traded him to SF for their #1 and #2. Patriots drafted Jamaal Adams at 1.2. Then they traded 2.2 + Chung + #72 to move up and take Reuben Foster.

When I remembered my dream, we had added Foster to Hightower, replaced Chung with Adams. And explained why we added so much to the offense this offseason - because we were going from The GOAT to The Jimmy.

Dreams can be weird.
Of course you are. I'd hate to lose Brady; especially in such fashion. However, it makes sense from a value perspective (which besides simply winning football games, is what BB is all about.)

A team that would have traded for him would have wanted to set a longer term deal up with him before the trade so trades would have been brokered through his agent who also happens to be Brady's agent.

A team that would have traded for him would have wanted to set a longer term deal up with him before the trade so trades would have been brokered through his agent who also happens to be Brady's agent.
I don't necessarily agree. He is under his rookie deal this year and can be franchised next year. Since he is under contract with another team, other teams can't negotiate with him. The signing team is completely in the driver's seat, no need to negotiate a long term deal ahead of time.

I think he stays.

After thinking on it long and hard draft picks are over valued. And based on how the Pats have traded picks for proven players this off-season it appears that BB agrees.

Consider the last 2 1st, and last 2 2nd round picks the Patriots have made. Malcolm Brown and Dominique Easley. Jordan Richards and Cyrus Jones. Are any of those impact players?

Even if the Brown's gave up #1 overall and we picked Garrett. The thing is we would have to pay him ~7m/year for his 1st 4 years. So he pretty much needs to immediately be an average level starter for him to be fair value by himself. And that excludes the opportunity cost of losing JG. So really Garrett would have to immediately be an impact player for the deal to be good for the Pats.

As a comparison instead of paying JG + ~$7m year for Garret, BB paid $13m a year for Gilmore, who based on his contract we can pretty safely assume BB expects to be an immediate impact player.

So at this point I think BB sees more value in trying to finding starters in mid-round+ draft picks(think Logan Ryan, Duron Harmon, Flowers, Joe Thuney, Malcolm Butler,etc) and then adding proven NFL talent such as Gilmore and Cooks through FA, trading draft picks. And honestly I find it hard to disagree with that approach.

Taking into account the players BB has acquired for draft picks, this has already been an outstanding draft for the Pats. Anything they add over the next 3 days will be icing on the cake.

If I'm the Browns i trade #1 for JG

I don't. They have many needs and getting a QB killed for a few years while you acquire actual talent is a bummer.

I don't. They have many needs and getting a QB killed for a few years while you acquire actual talent is a bummer.

You can't win consistently without a QB. They have a good o-line and some nice weapons. They will be better off with JG than Garrett

I think the analysis involves two major questions:

1. Can you win a SB with JG if TB is injured? If you don't think so, then you probably want to trade him. If yes, probably not.

2. What is the return if he is traded? If the return is amazing, you might be persuaded to deal. If it is mediocre, then you probably keep him.

1. If he can get you into the post season with a shot at getting to and winning the SB, I think you keep him. Personally, with this roster, I'm very confident that JG can do that and I'm very confident that Brissett can't.

2. Given the difficulty that so many teams have been having in finding even a mediocre starting QB, I can't imagine that there's a sufficient quantity of high draft picks that would adequately compensate for the loss of a solid (experienced) backup to an aging starter, unless those picks include a legit shot at acquiring another genuine starting-caliber (inexperienced) prospect - meaning, effectively, a #1 overall pick (from a draft class other than the current one).

They just made 3 moves that should make their OL very good this season. They certainly have bigger names on their OL than the Pats do.

No, franchising JG next season and keeping him would be ludicrous, and so unPatriot-like that it boggles the imagination. Even if they intend to fanchise him tempararily with the idea trade him early in FA, would be a detriment. It would kill any chance to participate in 2018 FA fully while he's on the team.

Finally regardless his mark will have shrunk to a minimum because every team will know that the Pats will eventually have to let him go and they can compete for him for nothing. The only advantage of a trade at that point is to avoid the competition.

N farn, the ONLY reason to keep JG on the roster for 2017 is that you don't expect Brady to be here in 2018. Otherwise it makes no sense. BB has gone most of his 18 years coaching the Pats with no great back up QB's Including one year with a rookie UDFA being our primary back up (Bryan Hoyer). So he doesn't NEED to have someone as good as JG as the back up,

BB doesn't throw away assets. If he trades JG he can get a package of 2-3 draft picks over the next 2 years for an asset that likely will have no effect on the field this season/ How can he just let that opportunity go. Again the only reason he won't is because he's intent on keeping JG after the 2017 season as his starting QB.

That's just not going to happen. If you trade #1 overall for JAG and he falls flat on his face, you've just lost your job while setting the franchise back at least five more years.

You can't win consistently without a QB. They have a good o-line and some nice weapons. They will be better off with JG than Garrett

But, until they get a coaching staff that knows what to do with the players they have, and FO/ownership that will serve those coaches instead of dictating to them, JG wouldn't make them meaningfully "better" than someone like Trubisky or Peterman.

I mean, JG could get them to 9-7 more regularly, and maybe even into the playoffs occasionally, but he won't get them anywhere near a SB until coaching and management is "fixed". I doubt that even Brady could.

Cleveland and San Fran picking 1 - 2 could both use a QB, word on the streets QB's in 2017 Draft not ready for prime time. Cleveland is loaded with Draft capital and I personally think would be fools if they don't make some type of offer. Cleveland could do it this year while keeping both Firsts. They could trade those 2017 2nd Rounders and a First next year and get a good young QB for the future. That train wreck in San Fran with that owner and new staff need a QB Brian Hoyer is not the answer.:rolleyes: They are Drafting early so could offer their 2nd and 3rd Round selections in 2017 and a First next year. I would take nothing less than those combinations for Jimmy G. Anything less we will just keep him. That said Pats 2017 Roster is pretty stacked not much room in the Inn a Back-up the caliber of Jimmy G is this day and age is unheard of.

Last edited:
I think Trubisky goes number 1 to cleveland.

I heard a few Football minds who I respect say that Trubisky is not ready for prime time why would you take a Prospect like that #1 especially knowing your franchise QB history???

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes