PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Bill Belichick break Don Shula's all time win record?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Belichick break Shula's coaching record for all time most wins?

• Yes

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 50.7%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 14 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well he is 46 games back. Unless things change big time and soon he will need about 6 seasons to catch him. (that's projecting 8 wins per season). As I said, unless things change big time and the Patriots improve on their mediocrity in the post-Brady era
Does Bill plan on coaching for 6 more years?
Will Kraft tolerate 6 more .500 seasons?

This team needs to get back to double digit win seasons in order for Bill to have a serious chance.

Well he is 46 games back. Unless things change big time and soon he will need about 6 seasons to catch him. (that's projecting 8 wins per season). As I said, unless things change big time and the Patriots improve on their mediocrity in the post-Brady era
Does Bill plan on coaching for 6 more years?
Will Kraft tolerate 6 more .500 seasons?

This team needs to get back to double digit win seasons in order for Bill to have a serious chance.

Not sure where you read 46 games back. From MassLive in Oct 2022;

Belichick is 22 wins shy of Shula, who won 347 games from 1963-1995 for the Baltimore Colts and Miami Dolphins. At 70, Belichick likely would need to coach between two or three more seasons to catch Shula.

Not sure where you read 46 games back. From MassLive in Oct 2022;

Belichick is 22 wins shy of Shula, who won 347 games from 1963-1995 for the Baltimore Colts and Miami Dolphins. At 70, Belichick likely would need to coach between two or three more seasons to catch Shula.
Belichick has 298 regular season and 31 postseason wins. Shula has 328 regular season and 19 postseason wins. Most folks count total victories, so the total is 329 to 347 - Belichick is behind by 18 wins. That can be tied with one 16 win season where they win 2 playoff games, though that feels pretty unlikely, obviously. However, it shouldn’t be hard to imagine it being done across two seasons - he would need to get 8 total wins (regular season or playoff) per season, plus one more to break the record. So Bill would need to be here for 2023 and 2024 to snap that in all likelihood. It seems unlikely that the Patriots are unable to muster at least 17 total victories in the next two seasons considering their offensive ineptitude last year still managed 8.

This record means nothing to me as a Patriots Fan if there isn't significant improvement in the Team going forward.
Yeah, I mean, I would love for him to get the record but not if it means the team is just treading water for 2 seasons.

Belichick has 298 regular season and 31 postseason wins. Shula has 328 regular season and 19 postseason wins. Most folks count total victories, so the total is 329 to 347 - Belichick is behind by 18 wins. That can be tied with one 16 win season where they win 2 playoff games, though that feels pretty unlikely, obviously. However, it shouldn’t be hard to imagine it being done across two seasons - he would need to get 8 total wins (regular season or playoff) per season, plus one more to break the record. So Bill would need to be here for 2023 and 2024 to snap that in all likelihood. It seems unlikely that the Patriots are unable to muster at least 17 total victories in the next two seasons considering their offensive ineptitude last year still managed 8.
A lot of recent events and some objective hindsight are making it look like Tom Brady dragged Coach to most of those wins. Overall, the collaboration undeniably 'worked'. Nobody is perfect, for example Landry platooned Staubach with Morton and nothing against Craig but Roger's much better. Belichick is distinguished by his active policy of going against convention. It's hit or miss.

It's a philosophical approach to coaching. It's overintellectual. And it's frustrating. I like Bill. I think he's lost his fastball.

However, like a lot of major league pitchers, he could still adjust his game and be successful. I hope he does. But there's a lot about this team I disagree with in terms of personnel and strategy. He may be trapped in his own methodology, numerical analysis, habits - and experience. The past can be helpful, or a hindrance.

LOFL at the homer clowns on the previous pages here during our phoney-baloney "winning" streak of 2021... And Good Riddance to that former moderator too.

Last edited:
Coach Bill may break the record if the owner keep shim around. But it's looking like Bill the Coach is going to need an historic defense because this offense as currently constituted has punt, punt, TD, punt, Fg, punt, TD, punt, fg, turnover on downs written all over it. 2022 offense +OBrien, -patricia, +2 jag tackles, -agholor, -myers, +Schuster, -harris, +gesicki is not the formula for a competitive nfl offense in 2023.
it's looking like another 8ish win season in 23.
I can't see Kraft keeping Bill the Coach if they miss the playoffs.
the wins record is meaningless. Andy Reid, if he doesn't quit due to health, is going to pass Bill the coach anyway even if Bill the coach gets that record

I thought this was a 10 win team this season and boy was I wrong. Can you see Bill coaching until he's 74-75? I don't know about that. He'll most likely end up #2 in my opinion.

I could see him stop coaching, but i feel like hes so addicted to football and its such a huge part of his life, I could see him sticking to a front office type role until he basically dies or physically cant do it anymore

Kind of loses it's meaning a bit if you're plodding along winning 7-8 games and being last in your division, it's more of a longevity record than anything the Super Bowls he has over Shula are way more important.

No. Bill’s uneven drafting is his burden that he can’t overcome, even with longevity and that miraculous gift called Tom Brady.

Guess I better clarify on my original post. I read he was 46 wins back, which was obviously incorrect. If it was that many then my reasoning was unless there is rapid improvement the Pats would hover at the .500 level for the forseeable future (8 to 9 wins a year).

Seeing as the original information of 46 wins back was incorrect, as Emily Latella would say, Never Mind.

Belichick is 31 regular season wins away from passing Shula. He's 19 wins away from passing Shula in combined wins (regular + postseason).

If the team really bottoms out over the next two seasons... like 6 or fewer wins... then he won't make it to 2025 with the Patriots because Kraft would be compelled to make a HC move.

More likely is 8 to 10 wins per season, which over the next 3 seasons would get him passed Shula in combined wins (which I suppose is the primary record), but it won't get him past him in regular season wins (he'll be 2-4 games shy). Will he hang on for another season in 2026 at age 74 just so he can surpass Shula in both? He'll probably want to but I don't see it happening (especially if by then they're 7 years in a row without a playoff win).

If he really wants it, he will get it. The bigger question is whether he's successful enough to do it here. He would get a coaching job in a heart beat if Kraft fired him in the next year or so.
Would he? I think people underestimate the politics of such a move.

How many GMs would hire Bill when it would mean they would lose their authority unless you think he would be ok with being only a coach?

That leaves teams with no GMs or where owners would fire their GM for Bill. What's the upside of hiring a 71 year old (assuming next year) to rebuild your team?

Not saying he would not get a job - just don't think he would be in as much demand as people seem to think.

That said I did not realize the record was regular + post season. I thought these records were kept mostly for regular seasons?

How many GMs would hire Bill when it would mean they would lose their authority unless you think he would be ok with being only a coach?

That leaves teams with no GMs or where owners would fire their GM for Bill. What's the upside of hiring a 71 year old (assuming next year) to rebuild your team?

Not saying he would not get a job - just don't think he would be in as much demand as people seem to think.

That said I did not realize the record was regular + post season. I thought these records were kept mostly for regular seasons?
In this case, it wouldn't be the GM's call. You think Irsay, Mara, Rooney, Haslem, Khan, Jones, Spanos are going to care at all how insecure their GM's are if they have a shot at bringing in Belichick?

If Bill was fired from here he'd get a job locked up by the following weekend. Teams with coaches who aren't on the hot seat would take a look

I can name a half dozen jobs he'd get off the top of my head, maybe more.

He'd likely be most inclined to take the Washington job because of the area, but I could see him at so many more places.

What I don't understand is Patriots fans. We all know this rebuild began in 2021. 2020 was the lost cause after everyone left and we ate all the dead cap. We started bringing new players in in 2021 and we started saying goodbye to the old that year (Hightower, etc.)

By now we have no one but Slater left.

Go back and look at every single club that goes into the rebuild mode. How long does it take? At least 3 years.

If you're going to end the rebuild after year 3, you've effectively just restarted the clock.

And will your next coach be as good as Pete Carroll? The guy who struggled mightily in New England?

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back