PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Bill Belichick break Don Shula's all time win record?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Belichick break Shula's coaching record for all time most wins?

• Yes

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 50.7%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 14 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Last edited:
Stopped reading after the first sentence.
Just a brutal read.
I wonder if the writer would be so generous and forgiving if he was responsible for the $200+ mill/year payroll necessary to fund Bill's walk-off-into-the-sunset farewell tour. "Here's $650 mill for players, another $75 mill for coaches, you got 3 years, enjoy your curtain call, Bill. Keep as many Friends and Family on my payroll as you need"

OT: Interesting coincidence? .......NE's new OC Bill O'Brien replaced the eternally entrenched Joe Paterno

Last edited:
Bill will break it in the 2025 season. And yes, he will be the HC for the Pats as Kraft is all talk and will not want to go through the motions of hiring another HC/Staff.

The issue is a bit more complicated than the article allows. If it were only a question of Patriots mediocrity over the next two or three seasons, I could possibly accept the logic, but what bothered me the most about last season was how Belichick's selection of offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach subverted the development of a promising young QB, the fifteenth pick in the first round, who had the best first season of all rookie quarterbacks. Belichick seems to have taken a page out of the Jets team building/quarterback development strategy. I'm hoping this was an aberration, but I'm concerned that it's not.

The issue is a bit more complicated than the article allows. If it were only a question of Patriots mediocrity over the next two or three seasons, I could possibly accept the logic, but what bothered me the most about last season was how Belichick's selection of offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach subverted the development of a promising young QB, the fifteenth pick in the first round, who had the best first season of all rookie quarterbacks. Belichick seems to have taken a page out of the Jets team building/quarterback development strategy. I'm hoping this was an aberration, but I'm concerned that it's not.

The Jets' team building/quarterback strategy is to repeat the same mistakes year after year. BB's key management technique has always been to be honest and correct mistakes every year. BB makes mistakes, but corrects them quickly. I think the Patricia/Judge mistake has been quickly fixed with BOB and Klemm, and the FA mistakes are fixed too by shipping Jonnu to Atlanta and letting Agholor walk.

Mac will recover if he is any good, even Geno Smith recovered.

Couple overlooked issues (?):
Current 70+ age range, per medical/insurance actuarial stats, not an indicator of mental decline, if physical health (+ intangibles like stress vs life satisfactions, etc.) are overall positive.
BB's personal motivation is unknowable, but for time being seems unchanged as to winning football games.
Btw isn't Pete Carroll older than BB? No one seems to be harping on his age, or any incompetence, given Geno Smith's renewal at QB.
As mentioned elsewhere + previously in this thread, rebuilding any organization as competitive & complex as a pro football team is as difficult an undertaking as any in modern society.
Actually imho more difficult than forming & sustaining a winning organization in the 1st place.
Why?
Because the very strengths, personnel & competitive conditions one started with embed habits & expectations that one has to "uproot" from one's new decisionmaking.
Note that the OC failure of MP & JJ came from BB's experiment, an attempt to innovate, not do the conventional thing.
Also (?) a response to the repetitive troll-call that BB wasn't collaborative enough; now, too collaborative, etc.
Clearly, as an earlier post noted, the failed OC experiment is acknowledged, corrective action has been taken in a non-disruptive way (not blowing things up mid-season).
Mockery of failure by the uninvolved, & after the fact?
Puny minds do that, no?
Also -"nepotism?"
Perhaps we're too resigned to the politics of our glorious Commonwealth to look at BB's sons as anything but no-show gov't "workers?"
Both sons seem to be entirely competent; SB's comment that if not, they'd be doing something else, kinship or no, seems consistent w/ the Patriots Way.
So, even w/ the MP/JJ OC failure, does anyone think BB is unique in choosing to work w/ really smart subordinates whom he knows well?
And has given many young unknowns coaching opportunities, outside their previous roles, not so?
For that matter, is Robt. Kraft unique in recognizing a potentially unique subordinate in BB, giving him his 2nd chance, then riding w/ their joint success, after BB, in his turn, gave Brady his 1st chance?
Top executives, military commanders, scientists, make great personnel decisions; & seem to know when to persevere thru tough times w/ proven subordinates.
Also note re "friction" (totally unknowable) betw RK & BB also comes from statements that RK as Owner must make to public, press & especially season tkt. holders & advertiser/sponsors about commitment to winning (again).
I think that BB passing Shula is probable.
Allowing the Patriots to do so via mediocre season W/L records seems highly unlikely.
Which, in turn, affects Mac Jones' future - like that of every other Pats player, over the next 2-3 yrs.
RK firing BB?
Replaced by whom?
Guaranteeing a real i.e. prolonged rebuild? Seems foolish; & RK is no fool.
2023 is Mac's prove-it year; 2024 offers cap resources, as required for QB & any other weaknesses.
Show me - hmm... show RK - what GM has a better batting average w/ personnel decisions, in last 24 yrs.
I vote for guarded optimism - partly because all our vaunted AFC opponents will also be knocking each other off thru the next 2-3 seasons.
Altho low probability at this point, even a Pats SB by 2028 would not surprise me - & even w/ BB still as HC/GM.
We're on to the Draft!

I'd rather get rid of BB a year too early than a year too late.

I can't stomach him being treated in a way that is antithetical to how he treated players for 24 years. That is bad karma to say the least.

I could give **** about the wins record. I hope Kraft isn't planning any pomp and circumstance after multiple losing/barely over .500 seasons post Brady.

I don't think it's entirely black & white. Belichick can still coach, and it doesn't seem wrong to me to give a bit more latitude to someone with his track record.

If the Pats totally fall off a cliff and become a five win team, then I think you reassess. But otherwise he's probably breaking that record by next season anyway, so what are we even really talking about.

I'd rather get rid of BB a year too early than a year too late.

I can't stomach him being treated in a way that is antithetical to how he treated players for 24 years. That is bad karma to say the least.

I could give **** about the wins record. I hope Kraft isn't planning any pomp and circumstance after multiple losing/barely over .500 seasons post Brady.

There is no such thing as post-Brady. Every year is a new year with new results. Is there post-Grogan? post-Bledsoe? A post-Brady perspective is not a Pats team approach, it is a Brady versus Belichick approach which usually means a "Belichick hater" approach.

There is no such thing as post-Brady. Every year is a new year with new results. Is there post-Grogan? post-Bledsoe? A post-Brady perspective is not a Pats team approach, it is a Brady versus Belichick approach which usually means a "Belichick hater" approach.
I get what you're saying but I disagree. Brady's departure was a clear line of demarcation. When Belichick leaves that will be another. The lines are not as distinct with the less impactful players in your examples.

31 wins is a lot. Over the next 3 years BB needs to go 10-7 with one playoff victory to pass Shula. Is this about right?

I get what you're saying but I disagree. Brady's departure was a clear line of demarcation. When Belichick leaves that will be another. The lines are not as distinct with the less impactful players in your examples.

I think it is a recently thing. In 5 years no-one will talk about post-Brady.

I mean, you're gonna have no trouble defining periods as:

The Parilli Era
The Plunkett Era
The Grogan Era
The Dead/Screwed/Flutie In Canada Era
The Bledsoe Era
The Brady Era
The Purgatory Era (sorry)

31 wins is a lot. Over the next 3 years BB needs to go 10-7 with one playoff victory to pass Shula. Is this about right?

BB is currently 18 behind Shula, I believe. Curious where 31 is coming from.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back