PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will anyone watch the XFL this weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they are doing the right thing. The reality show, phony WWF style is not a mix with football. They are likely to fail but could potentially become a minor league for guys that just missed the 53 or ineligible college grads. The issue is they don’t have much time. Money gets burned through like gasoline to support this, and the returns are slow to develop.

McMahon can at least underwrite it with WWE money and he knows how to handle labor issues (not to the benefit of workers, mind you). They have a better TV deal than the AAF; both paid for airtime but the XFL is at least getting the networks to foot the cost of production, which isn't nothing. And tickets were basically free for AAF games, whereas the first week of the XFL sold well. There's no danger of the league failing to last the year.

The bigger issue than money is just spring football in general. You're getting guys who couldn't make an NFL practice squad, so they've either been around long enough that they lost their practice squad eligibility (in which case they're not really 'developmental' players anymore; Cardale Jones was taken in the same draft as Goff and Wentz) or they're so obscure that they never sniffed a practice squad in the first place. You'd like to think that there might be some diamonds in the rough, but the number of non-kickers who made the leap from AAF to a 53-man NFL roster can be counted on two hands (with about a dozen more guys on practice squads), and of those only two were meaningful contributors this year (Daniel Brunskill and Mike Purcell, though Garrett Gilbert looks like he'll be a reliable backup QB). A fall developmental league a la minor league sports would probably be the best bet, in which NFL teams fill rosters with pooled practice squad guys, but then you're competing against the NFL and NCAA, so it would probably have to operate out of the NFL budget similar to the AHL or D-League (which is fine!)

I did see several tens of seconds of the XFL at the gym where I was attempting to lift and walked by the TV screens. Nice color on the uniforms.

They’d tank their target audience they need in order to get off the mat in year one immediately if they sign Kaepernick.
Have to agree with you on Kap. I would not walk across the street to see that banana head. I just threw him in as a name.

The game plan would be to have a "Draft" and the end of the 1st week of the NFL free agency period.
1-Each Team gets to pick two players from those "leftovers" and try to sign them away from the NFL (a lot of "fell sorry for myself" signings)
2-The League must assist in financing those players (Vince must come up with the cash)
3- The financing can come from corporate sponsors directly
4-Those players are them affiliated with the brand. In essence, the corporate brand receives naming rights for those said players
5-The player's contracts are all guaranteed.
6-The length of the contract is a minimum/maximum of 2 years. At that time said player may go back to free agency and back to the League.
7-There can be a "Hard Knocks" type show following those 16 players that can be sponsored to reduce the debt service.
8-The League would add two more franchises; one in Canada (remember the CFL Fans season is over way before the NFL. I think Canadian fans would dig this.
9-The other would be in Mexico. The NFL has been trying to cultivate that geographical game for years. The amount of Hispanics that follow the NFL is impressive in numbers.
10-This is a little remote, but the League has a taxi squad Team. What if the Team with the worst record as the season goes along gets to pick one player from that Team per week. This is where the XFL might stash some talent that are reclamation projects like AB. Randy Gregory, Kareem Hunt, Holton Hill, David Irving and perhaps Burfict or Josh Gordon who are pending offenders.
It gives them a second (third or more) chance.

Obviously QB is an important position for "brand awareness". but here is a list of possible cuts/free agents and players at that position who feel they have a few more years or are trying to re-invent themselves:

Winston
Mariota
Keenum
McCoy
Gabbert
Bortles
Geno Smith
Glennon
Siemian
McCarron
Daniel
And then Manzeil

Other possible Cuts:
Flacco
Dalton
Bradford
Rosen
Taylor
Mullens
Hoyer

Some have SB rings and have been to the playoffs. Others are tarnished but still recognizable.

Here is one or two more: How much would you have to pay Eli to become the QB for the NJ Guardians?

How about Alex Smith to D.C. if he gets released?

How much could LA Wildcats pay Phillip Rivers?

Those signings pay for themselves for the League. Would you not turn on the TV to watch what they do?

The schedule is only 10 games versus 16 so the older QB's (etc) might consider a shorter schedule.

Gronk?.............Andrew Luck? Only 10 games.

Whether they admit it or not, every NFL Scout and Player Personnel management was watching those games. It is a feeder League for talent. Think the Pats are not looking at WR Austin Proehl? Nelson Spruce?
DW Toys

Have to agree with you on Kap. I would not walk across the street to see that banana head. I just threw him in as a name.

The game plan would be to have a "Draft" and the end of the 1st week of the NFL free agency period.
1-Each Team gets to pick two players from those "leftovers" and try to sign them away from the NFL (a lot of "fell sorry for myself" signings)
2-The League must assist in financing those players (Vince must come up with the cash)
3- The financing can come from corporate sponsors directly
4-Those players are them affiliated with the brand. In essence, the corporate brand receives naming rights for those said players
5-The player's contracts are all guaranteed.
6-The length of the contract is a minimum/maximum of 2 years. At that time said player may go back to free agency and back to the League.
7-There can be a "Hard Knocks" type show following those 16 players that can be sponsored to reduce the debt service.
8-The League would add two more franchises; one in Canada (remember the CFL Fans season is over way before the NFL. I think Canadian fans would dig this.
9-The other would be in Mexico. The NFL has been trying to cultivate that geographical game for years. The amount of Hispanics that follow the NFL is impressive in numbers.
10-This is a little remote, but the League has a taxi squad Team. What if the Team with the worst record as the season goes along gets to pick one player from that Team per week. This is where the XFL might stash some talent that are reclamation projects like AB. Randy Gregory, Kareem Hunt, Holton Hill, David Irving and perhaps Burfict or Josh Gordon who are pending offenders.
It gives them a second (third or more) chance.

Obviously QB is an important position for "brand awareness". but here is a list of possible cuts/free agents and players at that position who feel they have a few more years or are trying to re-invent themselves:

Winston
Mariota
Keenum
McCoy
Gabbert
Bortles
Geno Smith
Glennon
Siemian
McCarron
Daniel
And then Manzeil

Other possible Cuts:
Flacco
Dalton
Bradford
Rosen
Taylor
Mullens
Hoyer

Some have SB rings and have been to the playoffs. Others are tarnished but still recognizable.

Here is one or two more: How much would you have to pay Eli to become the QB for the NJ Guardians?

How about Alex Smith to D.C. if he gets released?

How much could LA Wildcats pay Phillip Rivers?

Those signings pay for themselves for the League. Would you not turn on the TV to watch what they do?

The schedule is only 10 games versus 16 so the older QB's (etc) might consider a shorter schedule.

Gronk?.............Andrew Luck? Only 10 games.

Whether they admit it or not, every NFL Scout and Player Personnel management was watching those games. It is a feeder League for talent. Think the Pats are not looking at WR Austin Proehl? Nelson Spruce?
DW Toys

Why would any of those players sign in the XFL (in the middle of the XFL season) rather than with an NFL team in March, when free agency begins? This is the issue with spring football, nobody who anyone would want to watch aside from like a Johnny Manziel or Tebow circus will be available for an XFL team.

Watched it for a bit yesterday, it seemed to move along, but not knowing anything about any of the players made is less enjoyable..

That's where I was. I watched a few minutes, but besides not knowing the players, not knowing any history or context for the teams themselves made me completely disinterested. Maybe if they can hang on for a few seasons so the teams have some kind of story/history, it might get more interesting.

I watched Sat night and Sun afternoon and I liked what I saw. As a football and baseball only fan, I've always wanted the NFL to begin their season after the MLB ended and play until the MLB resumed in the Spring. I kind of get what i wished for i guess, so they probably hooked me. Hope it isn't a short lived venture.

OTOH, I've always been a, "Go for it" guy and I like the rules that encourage 4th down attempts rather than punting.

Of the two games I watched this weekend, I probably only saw about a quarter and a half with game audio. It seemed they lacked on screen graphics which could have enhanced my viewing experience.

I'm going to watch next week too.

Oof. Things have not worked out for him since leaving the Patriots.

Bring him back to do anything?
Or nah?
I assume his career in professional football is coming to an end. He hasn’t coached in the NFL since 2016, and how much lower can he go than getting fired by the XFL?

Does Manziel honestly think he’ll make it back into the NFL without playing for a team in the “minor leagues?” The XFL isn’t going to fold a few weeks in. McMahon has billions to burn and he’s determined to make the league successful. His comments just reek of someone who has zero passion to get back in it and thinks he’s above it all.

Thought this was funny.

Seattle is going to Seattle I guess.

I assume his career in professional football is coming to an end. He hasn’t coached in the NFL since 2016, and how much lower can he go than getting fired after one game by the XFL?

FTFY

They’d tank their target audience they need in order to get off the mat in year one immediately if they sign Kaepernick.
@rochrist do you care to elaborate on what you disagree with? I won’t hold my breath waiting for an answer because there’s not really any sort of logical way that you could take a counterpoint to that and have any hope of winning a debate.

Oof. Things have not worked out for him since leaving the Patriots.
Apparently BB was correct not to make him DC. Otis "My Man" Smith was one of his defensive assistants, I wonder what happens to Otis now.

@rochrist do you care to elaborate on what you disagree with? I won’t hold my breath waiting for an answer because there’s not really any sort of logical way that you could take a counterpoint to that and have any hope of winning a debate.

There's no way either of us could win a debate. I don't think large masses of people really care all that much about Kaepernick anymore. You obviously do. Agree to disagree.

There's no way either of us could win a debate. I don't think large masses of people really care all that much about Kaepernick anymore. You obviously do. Agree to disagree.
Large masses of rednecks and overly patriotic older white people, who the XFL is clearly targeting as its core segment, still very much care about Kaepernick. That would be the quickest way to alienate them.

Large masses of rednecks and overly patriotic older white people, who the XFL is clearly targeting as its core segment, still very much care about Kaepernick. That would be the quickest way to alienate them.
I don't know. Maybe. But this IS a WWE gig, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're aiming at a younger audience.

Plus, everyone knows that the WWE is about great villains as well as heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes