PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork#75's Post Brady Mock Draft

my thoughts exactly. not ready to follow the Lamar Jackson trend with Jalen Hurts. Although I don't mind the kicker. BB knows kickers.
He does, but a 5th-rounder for a kicker is a huge, Huge over-pay...especially when one considers that the greatest Kicker of this generation (and no I'm not referring to the Vinitraitor) was a UDFA...

my thoughts exactly. not ready to follow the Lamar Jackson trend with Jalen Hurts. Although I don't mind the kicker. BB knows kickers.

I wasn’t either until I saw an analysis of the Ravens pistol run game and how difficult it is to stop. I think Stidham can run it to an extent because he is quite athletic but Hurts takes it to another level. I’m an Alabama fan so I never really considered Hurts to be much of an NFL prospect until I watched him at Oklahoma and he really impressed me.

Don’t get me wrong, I am very comfortable with Stidham as the starter but Hurts offers so much value. We still need a backup QB because I don’t think Hoyer is the answer there for very long. We also have another you guy to develop just in case Stidham does fail. In the mean time he can still contribute, we can create packages for him, use his skills in a variety of ways. With what the Saints have done with Taysom Hill I think we could do to a much higher level with Hurts.

If all goes to plan and Stidham is a quality starter and Hurts is put in a position to succeed with designed packages and plays. In 2-3 years time he could be command a haul of draft picks from a QB needy team. I think drafting and developing QB’s is always good business and Hurts is ideal. He can contribute and build his value even if he isn’t the starter. For a late 2nd round pick I think he is great value.

He does, but a 5th-rounder for a kicker is a huge, Huge over-pay...especially when one considers that the greatest Kicker of this generation (and no I'm not referring to the Vinitraitor) was a UDFA...

Belichick values special teams a lot higher than most (Gostkowski 4th, Ryan Allen 5th, Joe Cardona 5th). In the 5th round you are normally looking at backups, third stringers and special teams players so I think addressing a position that is directly responsible for putting points on the board is well worth it.

I could understand the argument if it were a punter but games are won and lost every week on the leg of a kicker. Super Bowls are won and lost on kicks, nobody knows that better than the Pats. Sure you can get lucky in the 7th round or UDFA but if there is a guy you really like why not spend a 5th round pick them and instead get a likely backup OG or a special teams focused DB?

In 2019 the top 7 point scorers in the NFL were kickers and 13 of the top 15. These are the guys directly responsible for putting points on the board. And with PAT’s being move back a few years ago it only increases their importance. A reliable kicker is a massive need for this team and you don’t think that’s worth a 5th round pick?

Thanks for the work on this , it is appreciatrd

Belichick values special teams a lot higher than most (Gostkowski 4th, Ryan Allen 5th, Joe Cardona 5th). In the 5th round you are normally looking at backups, third stringers and special teams players so I think addressing a position that is directly responsible for putting points on the board is well worth it.

I think you meant Jake Bailey. Ryan Allen was an "An error has occurred"-type UDFA. (Also, Zoltan Mesko was a fifth-rounder.)

I don't like the Gilmore trade nor the return on it.
I don't believe the Bucs will give up a mid 1st round pick plus OJ Howard for Edelman and the rights to maybe coming out of retirement Gronkowski.
Don't see Jalen Hurts as a legit starting QB prospect, could you give your reasoning
Other draft stuff seemed ok, but I'd expect BB to pick entirely different players we never heard of even if all those hypothetical trades actually went down.

Great effort! Although, have to disagree with a few items. I don't see a team collapse next year. Brady's was only ok last year. His reputation was is what everyone bet on. Next year's QB (Stidham) has to be really bad for a losing season. The linebackers are good. Was not onboard with Collins. Whereas, Bentley and Winovich should improve. Edelman and Gronk will not command high draft choices, period. The coach is the GOAT and the Patriots will win. The Patriots will be in the playoffs next year.

Great effort! Although, have to disagree with a few items. I don't see a team collapse next year. Brady's was only ok last year. His reputation was is what everyone bet on. Next year's QB (Stidham) has to be really bad for a losing season. The linebackers are good. Was not onboard with Collins. Whereas, Bentley and Winovich should improve. Edelman and Gronk will not command high draft choices, period. The coach is the GOAT and the Patriots will win. The Patriots will be in the playoffs next year.
+I don't see a collapse but I do look for a slide out of the playoffs for a year. Very difficult schedule regardless of who the QB is. First half of year will be difficult with reshaping offensive identity. Second half of season will show a stabilization of the team giving BB a good look at what he needs in free agency and draft in 2021 for a return to the playoffs. Hope I'll still be around to see the resurgence. Hope everyone will be able to withstand the slings and arrows aimed at us this year.

+I don't see a collapse but I do look for a slide out of the playoffs for a year. Very difficult schedule regardless of who the QB is. First half of year will be difficult with reshaping offensive identity. Second half of season will show a stabilization of the team giving BB a good look at what he needs in free agency and draft in 2021 for a return to the playoffs. Hope I'll still be around to see the resurgence. Hope everyone will be able to withstand the slings and arrows aimed at us this year.

Yea I have to agree with you. I think the offense is going to be heavy run and let stidham pick his spots with throws down field.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back