PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receivers depth chart

Lots of 1st/2nd round WRs are not difference makers in Y1. BB is always slow in bringing rookies along.
Then the Pat's are in trouble.

Kraft isn't going to screw around losing and forking out draft picks and money on busts..Bobby Grier found Terry Glenn.

Kraft isn't going to screw around losing and forking out draft picks and money on busts..Bobby Grier found Terry Glenn.
And. A LOT of BUMS.
Don't bring up that loser, he may be the WORST drafter we ever had. I wanted to punch him in the face often.

Join the club of posters who think that the patriots are in trouble if our 2nd-4th rounders aren't difference makers as rookies. Of course, no one on Belichick's staff is a member of that club.

I do not believe harry is soft.

I believe harry’s game is built on 50-50 balls and bb does not want our qb’s throwing 50-50 balls.

Harry is frustrated because:

1.) he does not have the suddenness to create separation.
2.) when he runs his routes and is in great position to win a 50-50 ball, none of our qb’s are willing to throw those to him.
3.) he was able to carve out a niche as a blocker on running plays, but that impact will not help him get a big second contract.

A change of scenery is over due. I do not blame harry for skipping ota’s. I think it is in his best interest to do whatever it takes to get to Chicago, the giants, Dallas or Washington, where he will see tons of 50-50 balls.
It is difficult for a QB to trust a WR if the ball thrown his way has a low probability of completion. Harry hasn’t earned the trust and some balls thrown his way end up being interception.

Then the Pats are in trouble? Could you be more dramatic? Maybe chill a bit? I am sure the Pats are going to survive.

Lots of 1st/2nd round WRs are not difference makers in Y1. BB is always slow in bringing rookies along.
Contrary to popular belief, this isn't true. And this goes for any position that Bill has drafted. Deion Branch had plenty of playing time with 68 targets as a rookie. Bethel Johnson wasn't good enough to get targets over Branch, Brown, Patten and the emerging Givens, but made an instant impact at kick returner. However, he did get time when they took shots downfield on play action passes. Both Chad Jackson (when his hamstring wasn't acting up), Aaron Dobson and N'Keal Harry (when he came back from injury) were thrown in the fire and played right away because they had nobody else.

With that being said, if Thornton can play or a bunch of injuries occur, Bill is not going to hold him back.

2 WRs who catch the ball. Meyers 66% and Bourne 78%. 2021 New England Patriots Statistics & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com But, the Pats improved the 2022 passing defense getting rid of JC Jackson so ya getting rid of Meyers is another win - win.
What?

Last edited:
Contrary to popular belief, this isn't true. And this goes for any position that Bill has drafted. Deion Branch had plenty of playing time with 68 targets as a rookie. Bethel Johnson wasn't good enough to get targets over Branch, Brown, Patten and the emerging Givens, but made an instant impact at kick returner. However, he did get time when they took shots downfield on play action passes. Both Chad Jackson (when his hamstring wasn't acting up), Aaron Dobson and N'Keal Harry (when he came back from injury) were thrown in the fire and played right away because they had nobody else.

With that being said, if Thornton can play or a bunch of injuries occur, Bill is not going to hold him back.

What?

Branch is the exception. The rest were brought along with a limited route tree in Y1. Kick returner does not count when talking about WR reps. You can claim the rest sucked so of course they were limited, but that is a different argument. Meyers was limited Y1 as well. Gronk was a big Y1 hit, but again that was the exception. We will see with Thornton, but with 4 guys ahead of him and his limited passing attack in college, I think he will emerge in Y2.

I'm hoping they give Thornton some simple Go Routes, he's fast enough to blow by many 1 on 1s, and they'll HAVE to account for that with a safety.
He’ll have to prove himself on special teams first, they can’t roster a guy who can only run a couple of fly patterns and plays no special teams. He was out there in punt coverage in OTA’s, so that’s a good sign.

2nd round picks

Mike Thomas 1000 yds 9 tds
Chase Claypool 873 yds 9 tds
Tee Higgins 908 yds 6 tds
Ju Ju Smith 917 yds 7 tds
Sterling Shepard 683 yds 8 tds

AJ Brown, DK Metcalf the list can go on all day.

Join the club of posters who think that the patriots are in trouble if our 2nd-4th rounders aren't difference makers as rookies. Of course, no one on Belichick's staff is a member of that club.
Neither were the sea fairing guys working for the Captain of the Titanic.

Then the Pats are in trouble? Could you be more dramatic? Maybe chill a bit? I am sure the Pats are going to survive.

Because the Pats cant stay the same and win anymore. They must get better at WR to challenge the best teams.

Adopting the misfit WRs, TEs and RBs of football and drafting Foot Locker employees in 2 - 3 years later is not going to make it anymore

2nd round picks

Mike Thomas 1000 yds 9 tds
Chase Claypool 873 yds 9 tds
Tee Higgins 908 yds 6 tds
Ju Ju Smith 917 yds 7 tds
Sterling Shepard 683 yds 8 tds

AJ Brown, DK Metcalf the list can go on all day.
Realizing of course that the list of failures dwarfs this one by a Grand Canyon sized gap.

The average NFL career lasts three years.

The draft is a crapshoot and a large majority of rookies don’t make it past their first contract… and offensively WR’s have the highest rate of failure among all positions.

Players develop at their own speed, sometimes they explode out of the gate, sometimes they don’t emerge until year four like Julian Edelman… who, negative nancy’s will deny this, but by year four they were calling him an injury prone bust here and on the old boston.com forums.

I do not believe harry is soft.

I believe harry’s game is built on 50-50 balls and bb does not want our qb’s throwing 50-50 balls.

Harry is frustrated because:

1.) he does not have the suddenness to create separation.
2.) when he runs his routes and is in great position to win a 50-50 ball, none of our qb’s are willing to throw those to him.
3.) he was able to carve out a niche as a blocker on running plays, but that impact will not help him get a big second contract.

A change of scenery is over due. I do not blame harry for skipping ota’s. I think it is in his best interest to do whatever it takes to get to Chicago, the giants, Dallas or Washington, where he will see tons of 50-50 balls.
Harry doesn't even know how to line up some of the time. It's 100% his fault

Last edited:
What is going to happen by keeping Thornton, who may not be ready to contribute much his first year? Answer. We have to sacrifice a receiver. I hope it’s not Myers. He EARNED it.

We can only keep so many.

Realizing of course that the list of failures dwarfs this one by a Grand Canyon sized gap.

I stated this FACT

Other teams draft 1st/2nd round WRs and they go out and prove why they were worth the pick in that round.

Then after a cursory search I listed 6 teams.
The average NFL career lasts three years.
Just a terrible excuse.

Its OK to have bad drafts because the average career is only 3 years anyway!
The draft is a crapshoot and a large majority of rookies don’t make it past their first contract… and offensively WR’s have the highest rate of failure among all positions.
The old WR crap shoot has been rough sledding for the last 20 years.

Players develop at their own speed, sometimes they explode out of the gate, sometimes they don’t emerge until year four like Julian Edelman… who, negative nancy’s will deny this, but by year four they were calling him an injury prone bust here and on the old boston.com forums.
Edelmam was not a WR when drafted but he is all you have to hang your hat on.

Harry doesn't even know how to line up some of the time. It's 100% his fault
Give Brady a couple of gluten-free avocado beers, and he’ll give you chapter and verse of his screwups.

Brady says, “If this is what Bill thinks is a first-round WR, count me out.”

And he was outta here.

What is going to happen by keeping Thornton, who may not be ready to contribute much his first year? Answer. We have to sacrifice a receiver. I hope it’s not Myers. He EARNED it.

We can only keep so many.

Would you be upset if Thornton spent the year on I.R. given his size?

I stated this FACT

Other teams draft 1st/2nd round WRs and they go out and prove why they were worth the pick in that round.

Then after a cursory search I listed 6 teams.
So you cherry picked a few WR's who worked out while ignoring the vast majority who didn't... got it.
Just a terrible excuse.

Its OK to have bad drafts because the average career is only 3 years anyway!
The average NFL career lasts three years... that's a factual statement not an excuse.
The old WR crap shoot has been rough sledding for the last 20 years.
Without bothering to look it up I'd bet the Patriots have drafted fewer WR's than just about any team in the NFL over the last twenty years.
Edelmam was not a WR when drafted but he is all you have to hang your hat on.
Edelman was drafted to convert him to WR... they didn't draft him as a 5'11" QB... stop being intentionally obtuse.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back