PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like Britt on the roster too, but there are better uses for a roster spot than stashing a guy who has been a free agent for 4 weeks with no reported visits to other teams.

Matthews worked out for the Eagles today.

Speaking of WR's I still can't figure out why Patterson can't get separation beyond the LOS??:confused:

Speaking of WR's I still can't figure out why Patterson can't get separation beyond the LOS??:confused:
Patterson is doing OK for what he's capable of.

Britt might be a contingency for if/when Gordon falls off the wagon.

I'd still like to have Britt on the team. He is likely to be needed sometime this season. The way to make sure that he is available is to sign him to the 53.

Agree but don't see a roster spot that we can burn on him. Unless you wanna say goodbye to CP which would be way too early.

None of our guys are great “separation” guys.
Having said that, Patterson did get separation in the red zone but Brady was under duress and could not get him the ball. It would’ve been a game changer. I’m sure you’ve seen the play described in other threads.
I hope Julian comes back similar to pre-injury form. We have not seen him in a long time and his jitterbug moves will be welcome!

The whole chemistry of the receiving corps will change when Gordon takes the field... he will probably force some sort of double coverage.

I lust for game 5 (if Gordon is still here) when Edelman, Gronk, Gordon and White will all be on the field at the same time.. then the other teams D will be crapping all over themselves..

Sure
1) we hope that Edelman will be back to pre-injury form.
2) we hope Gordon can be a starter for the entire season.
3) we hope that Hogan will learn to get separation.
4) we hope that there are no injuries to WR's or to Gronk.

Maybe all of these will happen, or maybe we will need Britt.

We CANNOT make believe that someone on speed dial will definitely be available.

We make believe that Rivers, Crossen and Jackson are critical to our SB hopes. IMHO, Britt is more likely than any of them to be important later in the year.

PERHAPS, PERHAPS, after Edelman is at per-injury form and Gordon is a quality starter, perhaps THEN we can afford to not have Britt on the team.

BOTTOM LINE
Sign Britt to replace Edelman until he is at 100% and Gordon shows that he can play.

None of our guys are great “separation” guys.
Having said that, Patterson did get separation in the red zone but Brady was under duress and could not get him the ball. It would’ve been a game changer. I’m sure you’ve seen the play described in other threads.
I hope Julian comes back similar to pre-injury form. We have not seen him in a long time and his jitterbug moves will be welcome!

3) we hope that Hogan will learn to get separation.

I'm not sure this is really the accurate hope. I don't think we need Hogan to learn to get separation, I think his value increases exponentially with each bump in talent above him. I think if either of your first two points come to fruition, Hogan will start to look like his normal self going against CB 2's and 3's. If BOTH Edelman and Gordon are effective, Hogan's numbers may not change, but he'll be a key option and probably open a LOT.

He, apparently, can't catch a five yard pass without falling down backwards, so the clue might be there.

I think we've seen him get separation at times these first two weeks, but hasn't been thrown the ball. I don't think that's on Tom either, as I imagine Patterson isn't his first or second read on any route that isn't a screen. If that kind of thing keeps showing up on tape though, a few more plays might call for him earlier in the progressions.

I think we've seen him get separation at times these first two weeks, but hasn't been thrown the ball. I don't think that's on Tom either, as I imagine Patterson isn't his first or second read on any route that isn't a screen. If that kind of thing keeps showing up on tape though, a few more plays might call for him earlier in the progressions.

In a lot of seasons - probably most seasons - three to five pass catchers end up with 65%-75% of Brady's targets for the season (usually including one TE and one RB) , with another 10-12 players sharing what ever is left.

Every so often, though, there's a season that harkens back to the young Brady's response to be asked who his favorite receiver was: "The open one." In those seasons, it ended up being 6-8 players accounting for 65%-75% of Brady's targets. I have a feeling that 2018 could end up being one of those seasons.

In a lot of seasons - probably most seasons - three to five pass catchers end up with 65%-75% of Brady's targets for the season (usually including one TE and one RB) , with another 10-12 players sharing what ever is left.

Every so often, though, there's a season that harkens back to the young Brady's response to be asked who his favorite receiver was: "The open one." In those seasons, it ended up being 6-8 players accounting for 65%-75% of Brady's targets. I have a feeling that 2018 could end up being one of those seasons.

You could be right, and honestly, we may not have a good handle on this until the bye week. If Gordon comes in and can contribute something this week (or next week), that tweaks the formula. And then it gets tweaked AGAIN in week 5 when Edelman returns, and evolves from there as he gets re-acclimated. Who's getting targets, who's getting catches, and what kind of catches they're getting is going to be in flux until all of that settles down.

He has played 44 snaps all season many of which were runs. Can’t get separation downfield if you aren’t runnng routes downfield.

It’s still always the open one, it’s just that guys like welker, gronk, Edelman, white are open more often.

Every team has strengths and weaknesses. And while the WR group could indeed be problematic at times, I think they (along w Gronk & capable RBs) are not what is going to hold NE back in the long run.

We should stack up offensive line and receivers just in case

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey