PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s going to force a lot of 6 defensive back looks
Going with gronk Gordon Edelman hogan/Hollister/Dorsett/patterson and Michel could be a very effective running formation.
Gordon is 6’3 225, (is he a willing and caksnkr blocker?) Edelman is a great blocker, gronk is a great blocker and the extra guy can force them into personell packages and none of them suck at blocking.
If you need 6 dbs to match up with that, Michel could run wild.

You know who'd be killer!!? Jarvis Landry!!!!

He as a Patriot would catch 130 balls and 10 TDs.

He runs exactly the same routes as James White, without the ability to take handoffs, and unlike White he likes to run backwards after he makes the catch. One of the most overrated players in football and paid like a true WR1.

You know who'd be killer!!? Jarvis Landry!!!!

He as a Patriot would catch 130 balls and 10 TDs.

130 catches for him is about 1000 yards...

Sure, Patterson could be a solid #3 receiver. For me, that would be bonus.

He is here to be a kick returner, a #5 WR that is active on Game Day and perhaps a backup punt returner.

My guess is that his number of targets will be comparable to any of our past #4 or #5 WR's.

Well, I've never seen a more "exaggerated change of direction" than Edelman's jump cuts, and he seems pretty successful to me.

It seems to me that what helps make any WR "successful" - or any player at whatever nominal positional designation, for that matter - is how willing his coaches are to optimize what he offers, as opposed to trying to force him into some rigid, narrow, idealized positional template. WRs come in all kinds of different shapes and sizes with all sorts of different physical abilities and skill sets, or, I should say, portions of a very broad set of the skills that "a legitimate WR should have".

To me, Patterson appears to have decent straight line speed - maybe not quite as fast as his timed forty, but still fast. He also seems to have very good explosiveness. He doesn't appear to be anywhere near as naturally agile as a guy like Edelman, nor any kind of "master of footwork", but he does appear to have some fairly well-developed moves/avoidance techniques which, combined with his burst and size, enable him to run through or around many tackle attempts. He's gotten a lot of YAC that way - and return yards - over the course of his career. These combined traits also make him a good blocker and enable him to get sufficient separation on some types of routes.

Patterson seems to have good vision for the incoming pass and very good hands up to a certain depth of throw. What I mean by that is - he seems to be a very reliable pass-catcher on short routes, and on some intermediate depth routes, that put him in a position to be (mostly) facing the QB - crossers, slants, curls, comebacks, etc. However, he doesn't appear to be able to "see the ball" well enough to consistently make the body adjustments to reel in over-the-shoulder/back shoulder throws where he has his back turned while the ball is in the air. But then, he's highly unlikely to be required to run those routes very often (Edelman isn't, either). In the past, he's shown that he can catch some contested balls and some that are not quite on target (he can adjust some).

Patterson doesn't appear to understand all of the reads and route-options off the stem for every type of route (and certainly never will, at this stage in his career), but he does appear to understand those things very well for some routes - certainly enough to be useful now - and there's still at least some chance that he may improve a bit.

I think that Patterson is a good WR - for more than just "gadget plays" - and can be a successful role player if used properly. While his physical abilities and skills don't fit neatly into any of the three WR categories that most fans think of most often - deep threat, intermediate-range possession receiver, slot guy - it doesn't mean that he's NOT a legitimate WR. Not to me at least.

How many opportunities Patterson gets in order to be deemed "successful" by the fans this season depends partly on how things work out for each of the many, many other viable passing targets on the roster - individually, and as a group - and partly on what vulnerabilities in opposing defenses that McD and Brady choose to attack each week. He could end the season with 18 catches on 24 tgts for 160 yards and no TDs. He could end up going 32 for 48 for ~300 yards and a TD or two.

Well, I've never seen a more "exaggerated change of direction" than Edelman's jump cuts, and he seems pretty successful to me.

It seems to me that what helps make any WR "successful" - or any player at whatever nominal positional designation, for that matter - is how willing his coaches are to optimize what he offers, as opposed to trying to force him into some rigid, narrow, idealized positional template. WRs come in all kinds of different shapes and sizes with all sorts of different physical abilities and skill sets, or, I should say, portions of a very broad set of the skills that "a legitimate WR should have".

To me, Patterson appears to have decent straight line speed - maybe not quite as fast as his timed forty, but still fast. He also seems to have very good explosiveness. He doesn't appear to be anywhere near as naturally agile as a guy like Edelman, nor any kind of "master of footwork", but he does appear to have some fairly well-developed moves/avoidance techniques which, combined with his burst and size, enable him to run through or around many tackle attempts. He's gotten a lot of YAC that way - and return yards - over the course of his career. These combined traits also make him a good blocker and enable him to get sufficient separation on some types of routes.

Patterson seems to have good vision for the incoming pass and very good hands up to a certain depth of throw. What I mean by that is - he seems to be a very reliable pass-catcher on short routes, and on some intermediate depth routes, that put him in a position to be (mostly) facing the QB - crossers, slants, curls, comebacks, etc. However, he doesn't appear to be able to "see the ball" well enough to consistently make the body adjustments to reel in over-the-shoulder/back shoulder throws where he has his back turned while the ball is in the air. But then, he's highly unlikely to be required to run those routes very often (Edelman isn't, either). In the past, he's shown that he can catch some contested balls and some that are not quite on target (he can adjust some).

Patterson doesn't appear to understand all of the reads and route-options off the stem for every type of route (and certainly never will, at this stage in his career), but he does appear to understand those things very well for some routes - certainly enough to be useful now - and there's still at least some chance that he may improve a bit.

I think that Patterson is a good WR - for more than just "gadget plays" - and can be a successful role player if used properly. While his physical abilities and skills don't fit neatly into any of the three WR categories that most fans think of most often - deep threat, intermediate-range possession receiver, slot guy - it doesn't mean that he's NOT a legitimate WR. Not to me at least.

How many opportunities Patterson gets in order to be deemed "successful" by the fans this season depends partly on how things work out for each of the many, many other viable passing targets on the roster - individually, and as a group - and partly on what vulnerabilities in opposing defenses that McD and Brady choose to attack each week. He could end the season with 18 catches on 24 tgts for 160 yards and no TDs. He could end up going 32 for 48 for ~300 yards and a TD or two.

Edelman doesn't run anything like him. Dion Lewis has amazing cutting ability, but he doesn't run that way on pass routes. Patterson needs to improve his play without the ball, running pass routes. His running style is very effective when he's a defacto RB or kick returner

Is it really terrible to have an h-back and KR as our #5 WR?

Edelman doesn't run anything like him. Dion Lewis has amazing cutting ability, but he doesn't run that way on pass routes. Patterson needs to improve his play without the ball, running pass routes. His running style is very effective when he's a defacto RB or kick returner

I never said anything against him. I just noticed that his gait, fantastic for evading defenders with his speed, is not optimal for running routes against defenders who only need to stay with him, not tackle him [until he catches a pass and becomes a runner]. I'm merely suggesting that this might be something coaches can work on, so he can become a better receiver.

Sure, Patterson could be a solid #3 receiver. For me, that would be bonus.

He is here to be a kick returner, a #5 WR that is active on Game Day and perhaps a backup punt returner.

My guess is that his number of targets will be comparable to any of our past #4 or #5 WR's.

It might be an ideal scenario for Patterson right now. He's getting regular looks in the offense because Edelman is out and Gordon will take time (if he succeeds at all) to get acclimated. Once both players are integrated, his offensive role will surely diminish, but he may get more KR opportunities, because it seems like kicks get shorter the longer the season goes on (weather related, probably).

He is here to be a kick returner, a #5 WR that is active on Game Day and perhaps a backup punt returner

Well, I'm not quite as certain about that. I don't feel comfortable predicting how McD will use him over the course of the season. Just the various roster situations that may crop up, and then the specific vulnerabilities of the various defenses the Pats will face, may provide Patterson with more total opportunities for the season, or fewer. Likely with some considerable week-to-week variation, though.

It's also possible that he's been performing well enough in practices (which we can't see) that he's already created more opportunities for himself.

I didn't say that Edelman "runs like" Patterson in any way, shape or form.

I merely noted that Edelman's jump cuts have been almost like teleportation. Patterson doesn't have anything comparable in his repertoire.

I didn't say that Edelman "runs like" Patterson in any way, shape or form.

I merely noted that Edelman's jump cuts have been almost like teleportation. Patterson doesn't have anything comparable in his repertoire.

You must have quoted me by mistake when you seemed to reply to my post.

You must have quoted me by mistake when you seemed to reply to my post.

Entirely possible. I've been multitasking a lot today. I'll go back and check as soon as Tarzannasaurus Rex (the cat) deigns to leave the area of the keyboard.

Our receivers will rise to the top.

Just like I coach em'

So the cat's out of the bag.
You're Chad O'Shea.
Shouldn't you be working on the game plan? Or coaching up Hogan,Gordon etc.?
Instead of posting crap on a website?

Chad? Is that you?

Are you saying they're going to get high?

Catnip?

So the cat's out of the bag.
You're Chad O'Shea.
Shouldn't you be working on the game plan? Or coaching up Hogan,Gordon etc.?
Instead of posting crap on a website?
No I am not Chad. I am Sammy the Russian Blue Cat. (Born in the USA of course so I do not know Russian.) I am a life long Patriots fan and wish to impart Cat like quickness to our players. I know that it is hard to fathom a Cat that talks and writes so let's keep this arrangement a secret.

No I am not Chad. I am Sammy the Russian Blue Cat. (Born in the USA of course so I do not know Russian.) I am a life long Patriots fan and wish to impart Cat like quickness to our players. I know that it is hard to fathom a Cat that talks and writes so let's keep this arrangement a secret.

Thanks for clearing that up.

There is a Netflix show called Glow where a character thinks they are a wolf. Everyone thinks its a gimmick but it actually is not. This is how I am envisioning the life of SammyBlueCat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft