PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why was Brady so off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody read what Bart Scott said about Brady? What hurts the most is that Brady can not do anything about it. Now you can insults the Patriots and then live to talk about it. Sad times indeed. We have to get back to D. Offense wins you nothing. I think I have seen enough. On this draft, maybe get one or two OL men and then every single pick should go to the defense.
This loss is just not right. Something is wrong with the world for the Jets to beat us at our house like that.
Goodness for me is that I can now go back and continue my studies without listening to so much sports radio. I went partially unplugged for about 5 days. I am now back online full time. LOL

Last edited:
Anybody read what Bart Scott said about Brady? What hurts the most is that Brady can not do anything about it. Now you can insults the Patriots and then live to talk about it. Sad times indeed. We have to get back to D. Offense wins you nothing. I think I have seen enough. On this draft, maybe get one or two OL men and then every single pick should go to the defense.
This loss is just not right. Something is wrong with the world for the Jets to beat us at our house like that.
Goodness for me is that I can now go back and continue my studies without listening to so much sports radio. I went partially unplugged for about 5 days. I am now back online full time. LOL

The Jets were only able to beat us because of a couple of faulty personnel decisions by the front office that started in the 2009 offseason.

Brady reinvented what it meant to be a pats fan, it's been amazing to watch a diamond in the ruff take his game to mind boggling jaw dropping heights over the years.

No ints in his last eleven reg season games 9-1 td int ratio:eek:

Puts up near perfect passer ratings in blizzards, wind storms and artic cold weather. 4 super bowl appearences, perfect season, he forgot how to throw ints ,winning streaks etc,:eek::eek::eek:

that 2007 season was the most fun i ever had watching sports in my life, that SB can't erase the 19 weeks me and the fam spent laughing our A**'s off watching rout after rout after rout.

Screw that last game what's next!!!:rocker:

Last edited:
You can't see the coverage, you cant see the LB that may be coming up to cover the dump off, you can't see as Brady went through his progression if the guy you are looking at was open in time.
It always looks like receivers are open when you see part of the picture.
There were 16 incompletions, and a handful of those were drops. A couple other were the recevier cutting one way and Brady throwing the other.
That leaves maybe, at best 10 plays where Brady threw incomplete and someone else was open. Out of 45.
You make it sound like Brady kept dropping back all day long and not seeing open receivers. That is just wrong.

I think both of you may be right. Brady missed some, Woodhead and Welker. I know he saw Welker on the 3rd and long play on the long 4th qtr series, but he just didn't throw there.

But I also agree with you that what the Qb sees and what the fans see are very different things. I sit in the end zones at games and I try to imagine seeing what the QB sees. What fans miss are the throwing lanes that are opened by design (the OL knows the protection) and Brady keys on those throwing lanes.

I went to the Bills game at Buffalo and sat in the end zone again. First play on offense, Gronkowski broke free and was all alone for a TD but Brady saw him so late, he was surprised and he threw a duck. I could tell from behind Brady that there was no way he could see Gronk cut up the seam. People in the stadium could see it easily but from behind, the QBs vision was limited.

I have not heard it but the thing that struck me watching the game was how nervous and confused Brady was. It was odd and nothing like I have seen before.

Last edited:
I have not heard it but they thing that struck me watching the game was how nervous and confused Brady was. It was odd and nothing like I have seen before.

That's because our system is based on receivers being where they are supposed to be, based on the defense. When they are all being bumped off, and the wideouts are covered like a blanket, the QB can't throw to a spot because he can't trust the receiver will get there. Even if a receiver appears open temporarily, the QB doesn't know how he will break, or what the defense is going to do.

Brady's not confused like "duhhh, I'm so confused." He's genuinely confused, because the Jets physically threw off what was supposed to happen.

Many quarterbacks in those situations, will try to force the ball and guess what will happen between the release and what the defense and receiver will do (hey Brett). The most efficient QB in the history of the NFL doesn't operate that way, he continues to be patient and often turns the tide eventually in games like this (except in 2007 IMO).

The early interception wasn't the result of panic, it was a good play by a defender to get in his sight at the last minute, forcing extra touch necessary on a short pass and he didn't make the now difficult throw. The receiver was there, it wasn't a high risk pass.

I myself am glad to have a smart, patient quarterback who doesn't panic when a really good defense blows his game plan to smithereens. Hopefully, we don't get to experience what it's like to have the other kind who try to be heroes and end up with 6 or 7 interceptions.

I remember one play where a receiver broke toward the coverage, while Brady threw it where he would have been wide open had he broke the right way.

With three rookies and only Welker with more than this years real experience, who do you think was more confused, the receivers, or Tom Brady? And if you don't think they were positively molesting Welker...:bricks:

You can't see the coverage, you cant see the LB that may be coming up to cover the dump off, you can't see as Brady went through his progression if the guy you are looking at was open in time.
It always looks like receivers are open when you see part of the picture.
There were 16 incompletions, and a handful of those were drops. A couple other were the recevier cutting one way and Brady throwing the other.
That leaves maybe, at best 10 plays where Brady threw incomplete and someone else was open. Out of 45.
You make it sound like Brady kept dropping back all day long and not seeing open receivers. That is just wrong.

The only reason why I'm strongly backing up my claim that he missed open receivers is because Jaws, after watching film, saw the same thing. Jaws is one of the better analyst out there, maybe the best in evaluating QB play, and as far as I know he is fair and will give an honest analysis based on the game films.

Is it really far fetch to believe Brady had a bad game?

I remember one play where a receiver broke toward the coverage, while Brady threw it where he would have been wide open had he broke the right way.

With three rookies and only Welker with more than this years real experience, who do you think was more confused, the receivers, or Tom Brady? And if you don't think they were positively molesting Welker...:bricks:

There was some serious molesting going on and as the game progressed and nothing was called it just increased.

The broke the right way issue was something the JETS created because they kept changing up the way they reacted in coverage. That led to a situation where if Brady guessed right the receiver guessed wrong, and occasionally visa versa. Again, the only way you counter that is to go sandlot on offense and we don't quite have the horses for that nor do we have the inclination/mindset to abandon ship (our core offensive philosophy of read and react timing based throws) game to game because of the longrange problems that can create going forward...

Again, I just cannot fathom though why they weren't better prepared to counter what they encountered because the JETS basically blabbed the funnel strategy and tested it out on Manning just the week before prior to fine tuning it for us. I think BB was so focused on holding his young defense together and stopping the run and taking his chances against Sanchez he lost touch with or discounted what the offense might face.

We didn't play smart situational football on offense, defense or ST for much of the evening, and that is so uncharacteristic for a Belichick coached team. These players trust their coaching - that's a fundamental core characteristic within this system, that coaching will put you in a position to win if you do your job as coached. That trust had to be shaken by what they encountered. Did players still fail to execute at times? Absolutely. Had they all executed perfectly might they have overcome any obstacle? Possibly, but even the JETS weren't perfect, no team ever is, and that's about what it would have taken to overcome the apparent lack of situational preparedness with which they entered this fray...

No ints in his last eleven reg season games 9-1 td int ratio:eek:

Puts up near perfect passer ratings in blizzards, wind storms and artic cold weather. :

All great points, and I love the guy (in a football manly kind of way:)). It's hard to ignore though that in his last 10 Playoff games, no matter how great he was in the regular season, that he is 5 and 5. In those games, he threw for over 300 Yards once (in a 14 point lost to Denver). In two of those 5 wins, they almost won despite him, in that he threw 3 INTS in each game. Of course, he also threw 3 INTS in last years loss to the Ravens. He dominated over Jax twice, but that was it.

I'll let others summize why this is, and I'm sure there are alot of reasons. I just looked this up, and was a bit surprised.

Good points here. I don't understand how people can ignore the game tape. Some open receivers--but the ball bouncing at their feet. Or TB not throwing for a short completion (as he did all season) but looking deep like he was channeling his inner Jeff George. His body language on the sideline was odd -- dejected and frustrated.

That Jeff George reference may be a bit harsh...Jeff couldn't sniff TB's j-strap. But TB's numbers in the last playoff games are pedestrian at best. Anyway, there was no way the Patriots win if Sanchez plays better than Brady. And much to our surprise, that happened.

The only reason why I'm strongly backing up my claim that he missed open receivers is because Jaws, after watching film, saw the same thing. Jaws is one of the better analyst out there, maybe the best in evaluating QB play, and as far as I know he is fair and will give an honest analysis based on the game films.

Is it really far fetch to believe Brady had a bad game?

All great points, and I love the guy (in a football manly kind of way:)). It's hard to ignore though that in his last 10 Playoff games, no matter how great he was in the regular season, that he is 5 and 5. In those games, he threw for over 300 Yards once (in a 14 point lost to Denver). In two of those 5 wins, they almost won despite him, in that he threw 3 INTS in each game. Of course, he also threw 3 INTS in last years loss to the Ravens. He dominated over Jax twice, but that was it.

I'll let others summize why this is, and I'm sure there are alot of reasons. I just looked this up, and was a bit surprised.

i see the pattern but i've also seen it with most every great QB to play the game. Montana's 3 one and done in 1985, 86, 87 were bad enough to get him pulled in the 87 PO game against the vikes.

I believe the offense was a retooled(new players)that year also.

The loss was a huge embarrassment to the SF organization. It sparked a QB fued w young and also lead them to 2 more SB's.

Elway's late career SB's

I have faith in the organization and Tom as well to do they're best in coming years.

The broke the right way issue was something the JETS created because they kept changing up the way they reacted in coverage. That led to a situation where if Brady guessed right the receiver guessed wrong, and occasionally visa versa. Again, the only way you counter that is to go sandlot on offense and we don't quite have the horses for that nor do we have the inclination/mindset to abandon ship (our core offensive philosophy of read and react timing based throws) game to game because of the longrange problems that can create going forward...

I don't disagree with the rest of your post, but this is gold.

There's always a way a team could have adjusted, given this game wasn't out of control.

However, we blew two easy marches down the field and did seem to try plays to other players probably not targeted.

Our goofs were on a pass to BJ (not a top receiving option) and one to Crumpler (simply not as agile as he used to be).

In other words, after we failed to convert two drives, they gambled with Revis on Branch (I swear, they were doing the Lambada on one play where Branch made three cuts and reversals and Revis was on him like a second skin) and extra d backs in the middle.

If they're harassing Welker, Gronkowski and Hernandez and Woodhead as a receiver, we're left with Crumpler and BJ as receivers, or Woodhead BJ running. I love Woody, but what safety couldn't bring him down, size wise.

Best matchup is Tate against Cromartie and Tate is our least reliable receiver.

2010 was a great small ball team with a journeyman backfield. Much like 2001, with better TEs and more options.

However (don't hate me), even in 2001 Antowain Smith had a much better chance of forcing Ryan to play honest by gouging his defense for 20-30 yard runs. He was much more physical and faster than people remember.

Reliable 4-5 yard runs would have been fine with Ryan, as he could change occasionally to try to make a big stop, third down or otherwise.

Assuming Welker, Hernandez (?) and Gronkowski were being molested, and Woodhead eyeballed in the passing game, where was the alternative offense coming from.

Just spitballing here. Every successful game plan looks bullet proof in retrospect, given they took advantage of the momentum we gave them and were successful.

i see the pattern but i've also seen it with most every great QB to play the game. Montana's 3 one and done in 1985, 86, 87 were bad enough to get him pulled in the 87 PO game against the vikes.

I believe the offense was a retooled(new players)that year also.

The loss was a huge embarrassment to the SF organization. It sparked a QB fued w young and also lead them to 2 more SB's.

Elway's late career SB's

I have faith in the organization and Tom as well to do they're best in coming years.

1/2 true with the 49ers. To fuel their run, from 84-88 they drafted great as well.

Carter
McIntyer
Fuller

Rice
Collie

Too numerous to mention- 8 multi year starters

Harris Barton

Pierce Holt
Romo
Chet Brooks

Bad draft

So for those 2 SB in 88 and 89, in the 5 years prior they picked up 17 players that were multi years starters or started during a SB season. Not bad.

Last edited:
The Jets were only able to beat us because of a couple of faulty personnel decisions by the front office that started in the 2009 offseason.
I would argue that faulty personnel decisions started with the 2006 NFL Draft, 2007 NFL Draft, 2008 NFL Draft.

Maroney - 1st Round
Jackson - 2nd Round
Thomas - 3rd Round
Mills - 4th Round
O'Callaghan - 5th Round

Brown - 4th Round
Oldenburg - 5th Round

Wheatley - 2nd Round
Crable - 3rd Round
O'Connell - 3rd Round

I'll discount the 6th and 7th rounds and just call them a bonus.

He wasn't off. Stop blaming Brady and start giving the Jets defense some credit.

They stopped him, he didn't hurt the offense with his play!

Speaking of drafting, I'd take the personnel job on this team over any other i can remember. The whole team turned over in a couple years, plenty of picks, great character guys, easily identifiable issues, great young starters on their rookie contracts and a hall of fame QB and maybe NT(why not?).

1 or 2 quality players at a handful of positions, and we're set for years, it seems.

Of course it never works out that way, but I like our chances against the league this coming year.

1/2 true with the 49ers. To fuel their run, from 84-88 they drafted great as well.

Carter
McIntyer
Fuller

Rice
Collie

Too numerous to mention- 8 multi year starters

Harris Barton

Pierce Holt
Romo
Chet Brooks

Bad draft

So for those 2 SB in 88 and 89, in the 5 years prior they picked up 17 players that were multi years starters or started during a SB season. Not bad.

Nice, thanks for the correction. There seemed to be good parallels to draw from. An elite super bowl QB pple thought may not have it left in him, PO loss that called they're season into question(being SB favorites I'm sure), all the new talent being worked in as you described and just an overall sense of urgency to make it all work with a brilliant coach.

The above paragraph was meant to describe the 49ers but easily sounds like the patriots

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes