PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the Pats shouldn't/won't trade Butler

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Personally I don't think we trade Butler unless a team get stupid. Reasons why

#1 Value of the pick. Talib for half a year was worth a 4th. I think Talib and Butler are fairly comparable players from a value stand point so that is a good measuring stick. Lets call 1 full year of Butler worth a 3rd (maybe low 2nd like Chandler Jones) then. That is what I think it is worth. This is what the value SHOULD be. The issue is we will get a 3rd when he leaves anyway. Yes part of the deal can be him promising to sign there long term but if that can happen next year if you pony up the money why not wait?

#2 Teams in the market for a 1 year rental. I firmly believe the Pats want a 1st or at least high 2nd for him. That being said what teams would give up such value for what could be a 1 year player or a guy you will need to pay big bucks to after this year and could try to get in FA next year? The only reasonably answer should be teams a #1 CB away. So this would mean the teams most likely to be in the market are those the Pats will be very possibly facing in big games. The lesser teams have higher picks and so less likely to trade them. Any team is weary about making your top competition stronger. The worse a team is the further away they are and the more they need to build giving the pick this year more value.

#3 Butler isn't a locker room distraction. Guys they shipped out for bad prices (ala Collins) where issues in the locker room it seems. Bill won't let a good asset go over a contract dispute as long as he is a good team mate. We saw it with Mankins/Seymour/ect. They cut bait when you hurt the team or they feel you are about to fall off a cliff or they can get good value. Also the players in that situation they let go where arguably over paid. Butler isn't.

So generally for Butler to be gone the Pats probably want at least better than the Chandler Jones trade. But the amount of teams in the market for this player who aren't willing to wait a year are in win now mode and many we don't want to help. The only trade Partners I see as possible are GB/Dallas. Do we really want to help those teams? It could come back to bite us. I don't think we give him to an AFC contender. Also those teams have not shown interest.

IMO NO would be stupid to trade for Butler. Why give up a first or second when you can't win this year anyway? Wait for FA. Also the Pats aren't giving Butler up for a 3rd IMO so it be 42 at least. Steep price for a player you will have to pay after this year and could try to get after this year anyway.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I agree. I cant see Bill part with him unless he gets a 1st. At the same time, who wants to spend a first on Butler? Thats why i dont get this contract thing. Why not just sign the tender and move on? Get your money next year, its not like the tender is a few cents.

Most teams only have a 1st rounder, unless its a team with a low pick desperate for a corner(Dallas? Do they have the money?) i dont see it happening.

Actually, I don't get both sides. I actually feel like the team is undervaluing Butler big time. He's a top 10 CB in the league. He should be paid accordingly.

He just gets screwed by the CBA. It's nothing that the Pats are doing to him, it's the fact that he has no freedom in free agency because of being missed in the draft. Guys that go from undrafted to stars are so minimal, it's almost unheard of to run in to this situation.

Pats aren't doing anything different than any other team would/should do. It just sucks for Butler.

I posted in another thread on the matter. I just dont get the signing of gilmore when we more than probably could have had butler for the same price and it could be argued that butler is better or at least on par with gilmore. I dont question how BB handles the team with its signings but its hard to see a homegrown player going through this who always showed up and did his job to a very high level.

He just gets screwed by the CBA. It's nothing that the Pats are doing to him, it's the fact that he has no freedom in free agency because of being missed in the draft. Guys that go from undrafted to stars are so minimal, it's almost unheard of to run in to this situation.

Pats aren't doing anything different than any other team would/should do. It just sucks for Butler.

He is getting screwed by the CBA, but I remember reading something around the time of the 2014 Revis and Browner talking about how Butler was going to be a player. The team knew they had something with him.

Not much I Completely agree with Felger on, but I do with his take on Butler. Butler is grossly underpaid l, he's far exceeded his contract. He deserve to see a pay bump 2 years ago. I know it's not something the Pats usually do, but it would have been the right thing.

I posted in another thread on the matter. I just dont get the signing of gilmore when we more than probably could have had butler for the same price and it could be argued that butler is better or at least on par with gilmore. I dont question how BB handles the team with its signings but its hard to see a homegrown player going through this who always showed up and did his job to a very high level.

I don't disagree with this, and I like Butler better than Gilmore, but I think the team looks at Gilmore as a better matchup vs bigger WR/TE.

All this, getting a pissed off, hungry Butler playing with an even bigger chip on his shoulder might not be a bad thing.

Not much I Completely agree with Felger on, but I do with his take on Butler. Butler is grossly underpaid l, he's far exceeded his contract. He deserve to see a pay bump 2 years ago. I know it's not something the Pats usually do, but it would have been the right thing.

Maybe they tried to give him a two- or three-year deal after the 2015 season; they couldn't do it before, though.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back