PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why not a 1 year deal with Dez Bryant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
https://nypost.com/2018/05/09/dez-bryants-lingering-free-agency-a-mystery-to-those-close/

If it's true he isn't seeking a ton of $ but rather a 1 year deal to prove himself, why not the Patriots?

Could be a poor man's version of the Randy Moss signing.

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere and I missed it. Seems like a promising option to at least explore especially with losses to Cooks and Amendola....
I’ll take because he sucks for 1000 Alex.

I’m down.

If it's true he isn't seeking a ton of $ but rather a 1 year deal to prove himself,

Half right - the 1-yr "prove it" part.

Reportedly, he turned down a 3-yr/$21M offer from the Ravens because he wanted $8M guaranteed up front (which the Ravens couldn't fit under their cap). So, the "not seeking a ton of $" part may not be correct.

Awwww! :(

They make all sorts of pills for that these days, y'know.

Some of those pills get a bad rap for their effects causing a medical condition involving lasting too long. Personally I think many of us would view that as more of a scheduling issue than a medical problem.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/09/dez-bryants-lingering-free-agency-a-mystery-to-those-close/

If it's true he isn't seeking a ton of $ but rather a 1 year deal to prove himself, why not the Patriots?

Could be a poor man's version of the Randy Moss signing.

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere and I missed it. Seems like a promising option to at least explore especially with losses to Cooks and Amendola....

In a different year, I could see value in signing him, but not this year.

Dez has zero special teams value. Any WR like that needs to be at worst a WR3. We all assume a healthy Edelman and Hogan will be our top 2 guys, so that would put our top 3 WRs in their 30s.

Because of our need for youth at that position, again, I don't see the value. And that's just getting him on the 53. It gets more complicated fitting him on the 46 man active roster.

Dez would be a waste of a perfectly good 90-man roster spot. I'd rather pin my hopes on the corpse of Kenny Britt that we're trotting out there over Dez and all his baggage.

Half right - the 1-yr "prove it" part.

Reportedly, he turned down a 3-yr/$21M offer from the Ravens because he wanted $8M guaranteed up front (which the Ravens couldn't fit under their cap). So, the "not seeking a ton of $" part may not be correct.

I hear you. Let's say he's currently still on the market, made a mistake to turn down the Ravens, and could be snagged for near league minimum now. Would you do it?

He's been putting up ~800 yards/6 TD's in his down years recently. Similar as Moss who people said was broken down before the Pats got him. With high motivation you think he could play a little Michael Irvin on the outside ?

I hear you. Let's say he's currently still on the market, made a mistake to turn down the Ravens, and could be snagged for near league minimum now. Would you do it?

He's been putting up ~800 yards/6 TD's in his down years recently. Similar as Moss who people said was broken down before the Pats got him. With high motivation you think he could play a little Michael Irvin on the outside ?

Actually, no, I wouldn't. I can't argue that Dez wasn't very effective for awhile - in the Cowboys' system. But he's really limited in many ways that make him way, way more similar to Ochocinco than to Moss. I think he could actually be good with one of the top-3 rookie QBs, assuming that they're running a fairly simplified system, at first. Just don't see Dez working out in the Pats system.

watch All or Nothing: A Season with the Dallas Cowboys. you won't want him after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back