PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why not a 1 year deal with Dez Bryant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
procambarus-alleni.jpg

Welcome

Why stop at Dez? How about Al Toon? Art Monk? We could have a star receiving corps for really cheap.

Nahh ... we tried that with Henry Ellard back in the day and it didn't work.

I want to know why Bowman hasn't signed yet for anyone. Worth a year flier to help the LBers surely.

yup, i completely agree. i think garrett has probably read every book on leadership and tries to apply all of the principles he's learned, but in terms of actual coaching and teaching there doesn't seem to be much there.

Exactly the man Jerruh was looking for; so you can't really fault Garrett here.

Jerruh only likes hisself a 'yes' man, a sycophant. Ever since he fired Jimmy in '94 and caused Switzer to resign only a year after winning the last SB, he hasn't done **** with the franchise. Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer were probably the last two coaches that were strong enough to tell Jerruh to stop meddling and get the **** out of the lockerroom.

The drama would go up yet another notch. I’m against the idea but wouldn’t be shocked if B.B. did bring him in. He won’t though, he’s already hopping from one foot to the other trying to please brady, gronk, kraft etc. I can envision a mou of disgust on bbs face thinking about dez

I like Dez Bryant when he is on fire and can have the capacity to take over a game. But he much like TO and Moss he comes at a stiff price. More than just say on field antics.

However a 1 year let me prove I'm still top 10 wideout material could be beneficial to us and McDaniels ability to exploit defenses with a toy motivated to behave and learn our offense for the payday beyond. Small risk from a financial standpoint that could pan out to being an unstoppable offense.

Truthfully I'd rather invest in a LB or DE that can dial home consistent pressure and hurried throws besides sacks to force those all important INTs or dropped passes.

Maybe another DT to keep a healthy rotation when you know the injury bug plagues us mid season

However a 1 year let me prove I'm still top 10 wideout material could be beneficial to us and McDaniels ability to exploit defenses with a toy motivated to behave and learn our offense for the payday beyond... Small risk from a financial standpoint that could pan out to being an unstoppable offense.

Because it requires an investment in time and energy on the part of the Pats that has a very low likelihood of returning good value. It would require a significant number of practice snaps, and focus from McDaniel and Brady that would otherwise be invested elsewhere. And those players that aren't getting those snaps and attention would take note of what Bryant does and who he is, and see the Pats valuing him in that way. Bad deal all around. The money/cap space isn't the investment issue, it is the time and attention.

Sign him if they see some benefit. Cut him before the season starts if it’s a failure. Time and investment is just part of the process of football. It’s no worse than releasing our 3rd round ol from last year, or any other players we have released or cut previously.

If he signs at vet minimum with no assurances and BB is the one taking him then I'd be ok with a flyer. If he dont work out just cut him. A lot of teams have passed on him. Actually all of them have. There is a reason for this, he is either erroded toast, a problem child or both. Doubt BB kicks these tires though, Dez hasn't done zilch since the Green Bay game where he fot robbed a few seasons ago.

I' take a vet min 1 yr deal with some incentives. Anything more than that, pass.

Cheer up dude, there are some capable WRs already on the roster.
JE, coming off injury, Malcomb Mitchell coming off injury and will not play 16 games guaranteed, Hogan coming off injury riddled season, Matthews coming off injury riddled season, Britt? who knows what's left, Berrios? seventh round "are there any receivers left under 5'5" we can Draft Nick?".....Berrios. And you got Dorsett our fastest WR who has played well when they use him, who the Pats are bound and determined not to play for some reason.
Yup capable. On the field? Not so much.

DEZ? You have the CAP. You have a guy with a chip on his shoulder like Moss when he got here. We don't have a #1 receiver on the roster. You lost a Red Zone threat in Amendola. You got a guy in DEZ that is more healthy than anyone except maybe Britt.
DW Toys

JE, coming off injury, Malcomb Mitchell coming off injury and will not play 16 games guaranteed, Hogan coming off injury riddled season, Matthews coming off injury riddled season, Britt? who knows what's left, Berrios? seventh round "are there any receivers left under 5'5" we can Draft Nick?".....Berrios. And you got Dorsett our fastest WR who has played well when they use him, who the Pats are bound and determined not to play for some reason.

DEZ? You have the CAP. You have a guy with a chip on his shoulder like Moss when he got here. We don't have a #1 receiver on the roster. You lost a Red Zone threat in Amendola. You got a guy in DEZ that is more healthy than anyone except maybe Britt.
DW Toys
I see you're a "glass-half-empty" kind of guy. o_O

Sign him if they see some benefit. Cut him before the season starts if it’s a failure. Time and investment is just part of the process of football. It’s no worse than releasing our 3rd round ol from last year, or any other players we have released or cut previously.

I expect that other teams will offer more than the patriots. Sure, we could use lots of players for competition, with the idea of cutting them if they don't beat out our dozen current receivers. Other teams (well, likely at least one) have a much more secure role for Dez.

DW Toys

I wonder if Dez would even want to come here. He doesn't have Moss's height, speed and athleticism to fall back on if he can't figure out the play book so could fear becoming the next Ochocinco.

DW Toys

Damn, I had no idea the cupboard was so bare, they better sign Dez immediately if there's any hope of getting to 8-8. Please let us know before you make your bets on the total wins under at 11 so we can get in before it drops the number. ;)

I vote yes
I'd like to see who gets their sideline tantrum on better.....Dez or Brady

I think it would be an Ocho Cinco kind of signing. Who’s to say he can learn the playbook ? Ocho seemed lost most of the time. And he would be considered more cerebral than Dez. Plus B.B. loved Ocho, but it just didn’t fit. Who knows how he feels about Dez. The fact that he hasn’t even brought him in to talk to him, probably tells you all you need to know.

Pats could sure use a Dez type talent, but I don’t think it’s gonna happen.

I see you're a "glass-half-empty" kind of guy. o_O
Now,
I am optimistic that there is someone on the Pats personnel staff that sees this as a similar Moss opportunity. Remember Moss was "washed up" when we got him.

No disrespect to JE, but would not DEZ rejuvenated be our best WR right now? Yes, a trial by fire needs to happen. But he has a chip on his shoulder. Yes, the MASH unit of WR may or may not come back strong.

You know certain facts. JE will be JE but there could be rust and caution. Hogan is fine but he is at his plateau. Matthews is interesting but also will he be full go?. Berrios is a PR only smurf if he even makes the 53. The Pats have a phobia about using Dorsett who has talent when used. Mitchell has glass knees from college and will not make a full season (too bad) Red Zone touches to Amendola need to be addressed.

The only wild card is Patterson. His career in N.E. is up to Brady. If TB12 trusts you, you are good to go. If not KR status.

I am not a great fan of DEZ but he is younger than Britt, Hogan and JE. Did you know that? I see him as an entity that could help us win a game or two. He seems to be a real football guy who loves the game (a BB trait) , not a poser. His stats took a back seat to the sophomore slump of Dak Prescott. He still had 69 receptions and 6 TDs in a run based offense.

It would be folly not to at the least inquire.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes