PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why not a 1 year deal with Dez Bryant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW Toys, not even considering the talent difference between a "washed up" Moss and a "washed up" Dez, here's where the comparison of situations begins and ends for me:

Belichick called Moss one of smartest players he's ever coached/Oklahoma State simplified their offense for Dez.

It's pretty obvious that he wants a one year deal somewhere to prove his worth and cash in one more time. A WR with questioned football intelligence and limited route running ability certainly shouldn't sign with us if his goal is to maximize his value.

How are the Cowboys doing at WR?

Also recovering from a foot injury, so he may not have been the surest of sure things to begin with.

DW Toys, not even considering the talent difference between a "washed up" Moss and a "washed up" Dez, here's where the comparison of situations begins and ends for me:

Belichick called Moss one of smartest players he's ever coached/Oklahoma State simplified their offense for Dez.

It's pretty obvious that he wants a one year deal somewhere to prove his worth and cash in one more time. A WR with questioned football intelligence and limited route running ability certainly shouldn't sign with us if his goal is to maximize his value.
No he's not Moss.Could Moss run routes? Limited but excellent.
IMO he would be out best WR not named Edelman. He would make a difference in the Red Zone. Point is he is trying to learn to be a better route runner and not live on his past.
DW Toys

IMO he would be out best WR not named Edelman. He would make a difference in the Red Zone. Point is he is trying to learn to be a better route runner and not live on his past.
DW Toys

So what is the solution for him probably not understanding the offense well enough to consistently help?

As I said earlier in the thread, I just don't see the space for him because of the circumstances of our roster, even if he has the ability to help us. He would be yet another 30+ year old WR, who contributes nothing on special teams. Which young WR do you cut for him?

Dez Bryant wasn't a fit for the Patriots when he was young and talented. Now he's old and limited. His hands are bad. His route running has always been suspect. He can't get separation without pushing off. He has low football intelligence. And then there's his antics.

Tell me again what makes this a reasonable signing even for vet minimum?

I think there are a number of posters here living in the past with Dez Bryant. NFL teams seem to have a more realistic view which is why he's still unsigned.

Last edited:
Dez Bryant wasn't a fit for the Patriots when he was young and talented. Now he's old and limited. His hands are bad. His route running has always been suspect. He can't get separation without pushing off. He has low football integlligence. And then there's his antics.

Tell me again what makes this a reasonable signing even for vet minimum?

I think there are a number of posters here living in the past with Dez Bryant. NFL teams seem to have a more realistic view which is why he's still unsigned.
Pros: the slant route

Cons: everything that you mentioned

DW Toys
He’d be far better off going somewhere like Pittsburgh, they seem to have a receiver friendly system. Dez wouldn’t even make the team here.

I cannot believe Dez is still out there. What is this, a Terrell Owens-type issue? I truly believe the issue is with him not working well with Prescott. I don't see the film but I'm sure at 29 he has not lost it. Not saying we should sign him, as he checks off too many "cons" then "pros" but I wouldn't go off the reservation if it happened, which it won't.

Hear
I cannot believe Dez is still out there. What is this, a Terrell Owens-type issue? I truly believe the issue is with him not working well with Prescott. I don't see the film but I'm sure at 29 he has not lost it. Not saying we should sign him, as he checks off too many "cons" then "pros" but I wouldn't go off the reservation if it happened, which it won't.[/QUOTE

He's just waiting for a training camp injury or a team who sees their wr corps get desperate.
I would love to believe Tom Bill and Josh can wave a magic wand and turn Dez into a bought in Moss but that isn't likely.

I cannot believe Dez is still out there. What is this, a Terrell Owens-type issue? I truly believe the issue is with him not working well with Prescott. I don't see the film but I'm sure at 29 he has not lost it. Not saying we should sign him, as he checks off too many "cons" then "pros" but I wouldn't go off the reservation if it happened, which it won't.

I don't know if you watch All or Nothing, but he didn't come across as a great teammate or very receptive to coaching. Add in his suspect hands and he's just not a great fit.

How about you illustrate why you think he'd be a good fit here. That would probably be vastly more entertaining than most of us pointing out he is a problem child with a diminishing skill set,

There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why not? I dream of things that never should be, and ask why?

Last edited:
He’s just not good.
His last 3 years average season is: (and he played on average just under 13 games let season do it’s not injury issues)

100 targets 50 catches 678 yards 5.6 TDS

That is for a supposed #1 WR who absolutely will whine if he isn’t getting those 7-8 targets a game to produce 3-4 catches and 50 yards.

If he had a good attitude abc was coming in like Britt or Matthews trying to earn a spot he might be worth it, but this guy will go somewhere expecting to be the Man. And he isnt.

Matthews in the last 3 years playing 1 more game averaged per season

92 targets. 61 catches. (That’s 66% catch rate to 50%) 694 yards and 4 tds and he is here trying to win a job and running gunner reps.

There are those that look at things the way they aren't, and ask why not? I dream of things that never should be, and ask why?

Paraphrasing/convoluting the words of RFK who was himself paraphrasing George Bernard Shaw in an attempt to circuitously arrive where...we already are.

He’s just not good.
His last 3 years average season is: (and he played on average just under 13 games let season do it’s not injury issues)

100 targets 50 catches 678 yards 5.6 TDS

That is for a supposed #1 WR who absolutely will whine if he isn’t getting those 7-8 targets a game to produce 3-4 catches and 50 yards.

If he had a good attitude abc was coming in like Britt or Matthews trying to earn a spot he might be worth it, but this guy will go somewhere expecting to be the Man. And he isnt.

Matthews in the last 3 years playing 1 more game averaged per season

92 targets. 61 catches. (That’s 66% catch rate to 50%) 694 yards and 4 tds and he is here trying to win a job and running gunner reps.
That was my point. He isn't that bad and it COULD have something to with the arrival of Prescott and the heavy reliance on the running game.

That was my point. He isn't that bad and it COULD have something to with the arrival of Prescott and the heavy reliance on the running game.
No that’s REALLY bad for a #1 getting 100 targets.
Any receiver can put up mediocre numbers if you keep throwing him the ball.

I'd rather Calvin Johnson or 41 year old Moss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News