PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is the media hyping up the Dolphins?

real simple; espn and other mediots have been looking for the anti-patriots kryptonite since 2004...... Fish are 2-0. Recipe served. They'll play it up til they plunge.

that said; I dont think the fish have a terrible team. They have a chance to make playoffs as the AFCE 1b team (as opposed to the jesters who have potential to compete for #1 draft pick and jills who have an 8-8 ceiling).

Nicely put. My thoughts exactly.

I actually think they made quite a few good offseason moves, and if they truly come together as a team, I'd consider them a legit contender.

Well, the media has been looking to crown the Dolphins as the AFC East successor for a couple years now. A 2-0 start is better than the Dolphins have been in a while, so the story that they've wanted to write looks to be remotely plausible...

Wedden is awful, the Browns need to cut bait and move on preferably to giving us a early round pick for Mallett aka wishful thinking :)

In all seriousness, if Weeden continues to go downhill, the situation becomes much more plausible considering that Lombardi had some praise for Mallett.

The only problem is that he also gave the same praise for Hoyer too, saying that they were both "starting caliber" QB's for another team potentially.

If they threw Hoyer back at us, I'd be happy to part with Mallett for a 5th rounder seeing as how it'd be his last year. Of course that's if Belichick doesn't have any future plans with him, and it'd be hard to imagine how he would.

The lousy fish beat the Broncos. Anybody think the Pats will do same? I don't. You cannot win in the NFL without decent wide receivers and they have none. Thank you Bill and Bob, you cheap bastards.

The lousy fish beat the Broncos.

When the hell did this happen?

The "lousy fish" beat a piss poor CLE team in game one, and an overrated Colts team in game two that came down to the last 30 seconds. Give them the divisional crown if you want, but I'd wait for the next 6 games when Miami plays 5/6 games vs playoff teams from last year including Atlanta, N.Orleans, N.England, Cincinnati, and Baltimore before you pencil them in for a playoff spot just yet.

Anybody think the Pats will do same? I don't. You cannot win in the NFL without decent wide receivers and they have none. Thank you Bill and Bob, you cheap bastards.

First of all, one game doesn't make or break a season unless it's in the playoffs, so whether or not we win vs DEN in 2 months is entirely irrelevant in the middle of Sept. after a total of TWO games.

Secondly, we were crushing DEN last season. It's not Belichick or Kraft's fault that Welker chose to leave over a very small amount of money, or that Amendola and Vereen got hurt. They are hardly "cheap." That's a troll comment if I've ever seen one. Where is the proof that they are cheap?

When Gronk comes back, Edelman/Amendola man the slot just fine, the running game gets going, and/or the rookie WR's make some progress you'll see a much more effective team.

Good. The better the competition in the AFC East the higher the Patriots will have to raise the quality of their football. The better and tougher football the Patriots play, the more enjoyment I'll have opposed to the Madden stuff they've been putting up for the past 5 years.

I would like to see a Patriots team not Tom Brady carrying 52 guys.

The lousy fish beat the Broncos. Anybody think the Pats will do same? I don't. You cannot win in the NFL without decent wide receivers and they have none. Thank you Bill and Bob, you cheap bastards.
It looks like the pink helmet fans are coming out of the woodwork. If they feel that way, get off the bandwagon and root for the Fins. We patsfans won'tmiss you

under-a-rock.jpg

They're hyping them because nobody gave them a chance and they've won 2 games, so in the extreme media society we now find ourselves in, instead of just saying the Dolphins are better than we thought, they go all the way the other way and crown them Superbowl contenders. Hopefully the hype isn't justified and we improve by the time we meet them in a couple of weeks.

Madden football doesn't count in the NFL.

The Dolphins beat the Broncos, yet both teams are 2-0 and neither team actually played each other. Maybe we are underestimating the Dolphins. That is quite a feat to beat a team that you don't even play and still has zero losses.

To answer the title thread: because they're pretty good.

Count the wins:

6 AFCE games - 4-2? Very possible. 3-3, maybe, or 5-1 - both seem equally likely.

4 AFCN games. They should get at least 2 wins there, depending on when they play the teams. The North isn't very good this year, right now at least, with Pittsburgh and Baltimore looking anemic, and they already beat Cleveland.

4 NFCS games. Again, at least two wins.

They beat the Colts.
I'll take them at hone against the Chargers.

10-6 is very doable for them. The win over the Colts, likely one of their biggest competitors for a playoff spot, was huge.

This is a pretty good football team.

Why the media is hyping the Dolphins:

1. 7-9 last season, which isn't too bad
  2. Perceived overall weakness in the AFC
  3. Hopes for a competitive AFCE, for a change
  4. High-drafted QB in his sophomore season
  5. #7 scoring defense last season.
  6. Promising young running back
  7. Potentially game breaking receiver signed in free agency
  8. Top level corner, albeit coming off injury, signed
  9. High draft pick (Jordan) brought in to help Cameron Wake on the pass rush

I'm sure I missed some things, but that's where I'd start.

Judy Battista has a level-headed column on the Dolphins and the possibility of their being a challenge to the Patriots in the AFC East today.

Miami Dolphins to challenge New England Patriots in AFC East?

"The whole offseason was about resources -- they had the cap space and draft-pick resources to make a lot of moves, and put pieces around the quarterback and the quarterback is a year wiser," one AFC personnel executive said. "Then improve the pass rush. But the ascension of Reshad Jones at safety paired with the addition of Grimes has made the defense go from solid to pretty darn good."

. . .

Still, keeping pace with potent offenses is what Jeff Ireland's spending spree was all about. The Dolphins put skill-position players around Tannehill, particularly in signing Wallace to give the Dolphins the deep threat they lacked and to take advantage of Tannehill's maturation. They acquired more pieces to shore up the strength of the team -- the defensive front -- and got Wheeler and Dannell Ellerbe to upgrade their coverage, physicality and blitz ability. The result was most obvious when it appeared Luck would mount the ninth fourth-quarter comebacker of his short career Sunday. Grimes intercepted the Indy QB in the end zone midway through the fourth quarter. Then, with less than two minutes remaining and the Colts driving again, Wheeler sacked Luck on fourth down to effectively end the game.

"Their ability to rush the passer and not feel exposed in coverage has been a big boost," the AFC personnel exec said.

During their long, fallow period of ineptitude, the Dolphins were so identity-less that one year they mounted a marketing campaign constructed not around star players -- there were none -- but around the visages of front office executives, including Miami's former football chieftain, Bill Parcells.

Parcells is gone now, and so is the Dolphins' facelessness. The object in the Patriots' rearview mirror might be closer than it appears.​

It's as if the Patriots are playing in a competitive division according to these mediots.

Why? Because they're 2--0. Way too early to draw too many "big" conclusions, but I've always liked Bill Parcells' saying that "You are what your record says you are." Right now, they're a team that has figured out how to win their first two games, one on the road against a decent Indy team.

They don't have to be pretty wins or "statement" wins, but, like the Pats v. Buffalo and the Jets, they are, indeed, "wins."

As for whether the Division is "competitive," I always think of the AFCE as competitive until the day it's locked up. Somehow, I think that's the way that BB thinks of it as well.

I didnt watch or read either. CHB just tweeted out the article. Another tweet of his said that the Booth review would not have been overturned if CBS was calling the play. They have been gleefully expecting the Sox demise all season and now that hopes are evaporating they are turning to the pats.

You on CHB's Tweet list or whatever it is?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back