PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is it a bad Idea to Trade Branch???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not give him Reggie Wayne money?
He is a better WR than Reggie Wayne. Of course Wayne is overpaid because the Colts will overpay anyone who catches passes.
Wayne here would not produce what Branch does, and Branch in Indy would produce more than Wayne.

Branch is the best WR we have. If you trade him, then you no longer have your best WR. If we refuse to pay Deion Branch like our best WR, then where do you propose we find a replacement?
This concept of trading Branch says we should refuse to pay our best WR like he is our best WR, ie that we are better than actually paying market value to a player. Who will you replace him with if you wont pay market value?
If you think you can get better, you have to pay more than Wayne money, so you wouldn't do that. It sounds like a plan that says its OK to get worse, as long as we can feel good that we didn't pay market value.

The goal here is winning championships not pounding our chests that the organization is so clever it wont pay market value. Got news for you, the Patriots pay players market value. The ones we let walk or sing with someone else in FA are because someone else overrates them compared to us. Thats why there are 1700 players in the NFL and one team only has 53 of them. Everyone disagrees on the rating and value of almost every player in the league.

I'm not sure if your anti-Branch stance is because you don't think he is good or because you have this idea that paying market value for a player is somehow a bad thing and the false believe that the Pats dont pay market value.

Finally, why would you trade Branch and reduce the chances of winning in 2006? We have 9 months to resolve the contract issue. Trading him sounds like an immature move because you find the fact he wants to be paid what he is worth somehow offensive.

Andy all good points...VERY well stated!!!!
It's time to stir up the pot and make a dumb move trade or over pay..the Pats don't do that...in other words to those that want action now..
CHILL!!! he's under contract...

Last edited by a moderator:
Pats726 said:
Basically he's taking a BIG gamble...and he could be the loser..Look at the receivers the team had in 01 and won it all...NOT any big big names..Demand will drive the price up and that is ruled by WANT not NUMBERS....

Branch isn't taking any "big gamble." Again, people are overreacting to the holdout, as if he's being disloyal to the team. It's all just part of the process to keep him in a Patriots' uniform. The biggest gamble for the Patriots would be trading him. Everything right now is set up how they want it - under their roof. And just because he's holding out doesn't mean he isn't a team player, and doesn't mean we should be thinking "Oh, we don't need him, circa 2001!"

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Branch isn't taking any "big gamble." Again, people are overreacting to the holdout, as if he's being disloyal to the team. It's all just part of the process to keep him in a Patriots' uniform. The biggest gamble for the Patriots would be trading him. Everything right now is set up how they want it - under their roof. And just because he's holding out doesn't mean he isn't a team player, and doesn't mean we should be thinking "Oh, we don't need him, circa 2001!"
You don't think he's taking a gamble??? Getting a contract NOW insures his payoff...a poor year..an injured year and...do you think that the SAME money would be there??? That is a gamble on his part..a gamble he could lose big time.
Who isover reacting..I did..I said CHILL!!
Well if he does hold out..do you think BB will hold up things waiting?? He sits out..and other solutions will be found..that simple. Branch is NOT Seymour nor Brady...and I think he's missing that. And certainly missing the charity golf tournament is NOT helping his PR.

Additionally, I think part of the reason this line of questioning has brought such vociferous shout-downs is that it's patently ridiculous and there is just NO WAY the Patriots are going to do it. So suggesting something as drastic as this - which I concede you are NOT doing in this particular thread - seems either chicken-little reactive, hopelessly naive or troll-ish.

patsox23 said:
Additionally, I think part of the reason this line of questioning has brought such vociferous shout-downs is that it's patently ridiculous and there is just NO WAY the Patriots are going to do it. So suggesting something as drastic as this - which I concede you are NOT doing in this particular thread - seems either chicken-little reactive, hopelessly naive or troll-ish.
First off i asked these questions becuase they weren't answered before. 2nd, im not suggesting we do anything. I wanted to hear what you thought and why you got so angry at that poor sob yesterday, thats all.
btw, it was suggested yesterday he is traded for stallworth andd a 2nd or 3rd so the whole "who is gonna catch the ball" cry goes out the window.

Once again digger, you prove you know nothing about this. that was your 2nd chance to show why you had such strong feelings against the idea and you strike out again. I'm beginning to get the feeliing that you are the guy on here that just jumps on the bandwagons, kisses a lot of asses, and has no original thoughts. You are afriad you'll get ripped if you type what you think. Either that, or you just don't know too much. I dont know which id bet on.

Last edited:
For branch this is all win-win... He had a good season and has been underpaid. If he gets injured during the season he will lose money when he goes unrestricted. He wants, needs and deserves the new contract now. If he hits FA he will be gone because as soon as he's free bait all the other teams will jump into the water to try and sign him.

Last Year Brnach was the lowest paid WR on the roster, but no one did more than him, and no one had as much pressure and resonsibility than him.

Right now the pats ar 15 million under...and next year the cap balloons another 8 mil...pay your player!

Welker83 said:
For branch this is all win-win... If he gets injured during the season he will lose money when he goes unrestricted.
win win???? Sorry you are contradicting yourself...you say win-win and there is NO win if he is injured..and he has't been the healthiest of players.

Last edited:
Keegs said:
Once again digger, you prove you know nothing about this. that was your 2nd chance to show why you had such strong feelings against the idea and you strike out again. I'm beginning to get the feeliing that you are the guy on here that just jumps on the bandwagons, kisses a lot of asses, and has no original thoughts. You are afriad you'll get ripped if you type what you think. Either that, or you just don't know too much. I dont know which id bet on.

Well once again you choose to show your ignorance by crapping off at the mouth. Anybody on this board knows that I express my opinion without fear of consequences. Even the guys who dont like me know that. The reason I do not answer your threads is because I refuse to address the idiocy you are so begging me to answer. How many times now have you begged for my opinion? I love it when you throw a temper tantrum when I will not give it. So go ahead and keep leavving you bait, I will not waste any more time on your stupidity. Keep begging for this type of attention and you will be president of my fan club in know time. Honestly though, I do thank you for putting so much emphasis on my opinion.

I think the only time a trade is a valid idea, is if Branch holds out into the regular season. For some reason, I think he will be there July 28th. He made his statement, but now it's time to go to work. He is still under contract, and doesn't seem the type to not honor his contract.

Pats726 said:
win win???? Sorry you are contradicting yourself...you say win-win and there is NO win if he is injured..and he has't been the healthiest of players.

Holding out is a win-win...

I must admit i find it kind of amusing that a lot of the replies to this question had to do with the fact that we would be short one less receiver. Obviously if we were to trade Branch we would get another receiver to fill his spot. This goes without saying. When we are talking speculation on here it is always assumed that the team will replace spots on the roster because they are so good at it. I just thought it was strange that that was not even mentioned in this instance.

Digger44 said:
come on moron, you gotta have better bait than that

You know what, he's immature, but you're just being a jerk.

These are legitimate posts in a legitimate thread topic so why don't you just give it a rest?

wow this is a funny one.

god im so smart.

Sometimes i make myself sick on how smart i am.

Keegs said:
Sometimes i make myself sick on how smart i am.

Why do you have to start another thread when this topic has been discussed ad nauseam?

ATippett56 said:
Why do you have to start another thread when this topic has been discussed ad nauseam?
i didn't start another thread.

This thread was started by me months back and i got *****ed at for it.

But it turns out i was 100% correct. LIke i am with everything else on here.

ATippett56 said:
Please seek immediate psychological counseling! :eek:
Digger 44 sucks.

Keegs said:
Digger 44 sucks.
So the solution to the Deion Branch problem is for you to start YET another thread? Brilliant!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference