PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Is Innovator Bill Belichick Inflexible About Flexibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What works for a 41 year old health conscious QB who eats like a vegan is not likely to work with a 320 lb OL.
The majority of nfl players need strength and conditioning work, not pliability.

Each person would have a specific program.

Not 1 size fits all.

If BB really is inflexible and unchanging, then at least that makes him a human and not a host.

Why can't they do both? Furthermore, is there any proof that Guerrero wouldn't recommend weight work and strength and conditioning work for OL and DL? The two are not mutually exclusive.

See TB12’s facebook series. Tom and the other receivers made fun of Edelman for lifting weights.

If BB really is inflexible and unchanging, then at least that makes him a human and not a host.
One of the most confusing seasons of television I have ever seen. I pray that it doesn’t go the route of “Lost.”

My biggest question:

Why did/does Brady feel the need to have this guy attached to his hip? Why the hell can't he just do his own thing and keep it his own thing?

Why is this such a big problem lmao? I assume it's pretty rare to get the flexibility that Brady was afforded by Belichick, anywhere in the league.

Edit: For clarity

Brady does not want to work with the Patriots trainers. Only Guererro. On the other hand, Belichick wants all the players to work with the patriots trainers. Ergo, the conflict.

I don’t think Belichick had a problem with Brady and some other player’s using Guerrero it’s when it started interfering with their overall health and training infrastructure that it became an issue. But when it comes to the pliability end of it I don’t see why he would ever oppose it because that only improves performance and prevents injury.

Whether BB finds the TB12 method to be successful is independent of his view on Guerrero’s association/role near the team. The two are not the same, and his opinion of the former is not necessarily going to predicate how he feels about the latter. Make sense?

What works for a 41 year old health conscious QB who eats like a vegan is not likely to work with a 320 lb OL.
The majority of nfl players need strength and conditioning work, not pliability.

Why would you assume Guerrero would have the same program for O-linemen?

BTW, Gronk was using Guerrero and he did just fine last season.

I don’t think Belichick had a problem with Brady and some other player’s using Guerrero it’s when it started interfering with their overall health and training infrastructure that it became an issue. But when it comes to the pliability end of it I don’t see why he would ever oppose it because that only improves performance and prevents injury.
Rumors were that Guerrero was contradicting the training staff and trying to talk players out of lifting weights.

Why would you assume Guerrero would have the same program for O-linemen?

BTW, Gronk was using Guerrero and he did just fine last season.
I’m not assuming it, im saying just because Guerrero has a program that works for Brady it doesnt mean he has a program that would work for other players.

Actually gronk wasn’t fine when camp started.
I think that was part of the issue.

One of the great things about this board is the diversity of opinion on most subjects. So, in that spirit, I put the above question on the table. It is quite baffling to me.

We have often read about how BB is an innovator in many areas, is eager to learn from others, and is very adaptable to change. He is often a bellwether for the rest of the league. Yet, if we are to even partially believe the media (I know, that's a stretch!), it appears that he is hostile (or at least inflexible) when it comes to Alex Guerrero and the TB12 method of conditioning.

Medicine is rapidly changing; Sports Medicine as well. Brady swears by AG and his methods. That's hard to argue against, given that Tom's age, conditioning, and performance these past few years has been historic. Even Gronk had a healthy season last year and looked fresh throughout! I realize that the sample size is very small at this time, but doesn't the TB12 method look a bit promising?

Has BB thoroughly evaluated the TB12 methodology and concluded that it is horsesh*t? Why else hasn't he embraced it? Certainly, if he wanted to, he could find a way to integrate these ideas and methods into the Patriot system. Perhaps the "science" is too new to try? Maybe he just doesn't like AG?

Does anyone else here think that this situation is a bit odd?
I do think it is a bit odd that he doesn't just grin and bear it a bit more. Even if the TB12 method is a load of bunk, Brady (and others) clearly believe in it and there is value in that. If you think something is going to make the soreness and aches go away, then it just might.

One of the great things about this board is the diversity of opinion on most subjects. So, in that spirit, I put the above question on the table. It is quite baffling to me.

We have often read about how BB is an innovator in many areas, is eager to learn from others, and is very adaptable to change. He is often a bellwether for the rest of the league. Yet, if we are to even partially believe the media (I know, that's a stretch!), it appears that he is hostile (or at least inflexible) when it comes to Alex Guerrero and the TB12 method of conditioning.

Medicine is rapidly changing; Sports Medicine as well. Brady swears by AG and his methods. That's hard to argue against, given that Tom's age, conditioning, and performance these past few years has been historic. Even Gronk had a healthy season last year and looked fresh throughout! I realize that the sample size is very small at this time, but doesn't the TB12 method look a bit promising?

Has BB thoroughly evaluated the TB12 methodology and concluded that it is horsesh*t? Why else hasn't he embraced it? Certainly, if he wanted to, he could find a way to integrate these ideas and methods into the Patriot system. Perhaps the "science" is too new to try? Maybe he just doesn't like AG?

Does anyone else here think that this situation is a bit odd?

even partially believe the media

The problem with your premise.

The Patriots have frequently been praised for training/conditioning regimens. Belichick has been noted for having a general intellectual curiosity. I doubt he has no interest in a subject like physical training that might improve the team. If he has an issue with Guerrero on training, then I expect Belichick has explored his training practices.

He hires the staff that he believe will put the team in a position to succeed. The trainer is part of that staff. The coaches set benchmarks on the positions (strength, size, endurance, etc.). If Guerrero's methods get the player to those benchmarks, then I doubt Belichick would be protesting. If Guerrero interjects himself with opinions that question or impede a player reaching the benchmarks, then I expect there would be an issue as Guerrero would be undercutting coaching direction. That would be no different than a player deciding how he wants to play a position without regard to schemes.

Opinions vary on training. Methods evolve. I doubt the Patriots use 1950 methods. Guerrero could be a quack in whole or in part or entirely correct in his methods. What is clear is players cannot likely run two completely different training regimens as rest/recovery is required.

See TB12’s facebook series. Tom and the other receivers made fun of Edelman for lifting weights.

This is a misrepresentation of the actual interaction.

They lightly poked fun at/teased Edelman over lifting weights, but the most relevant part of that interaction (that you neglected to mention) was Guerrero saying that he has nothing against lifting weights.

Rather, he believes in training the body in a way that prepares it for what it's going to need to do in a given athletic role.

I’m not assuming it, im saying just because Guerrero has a program that works for Brady it doesnt mean he has a program that would work for other players.

Actually gronk wasn’t fine when camp started.
I think that was part of the issue.

Define what "fine" means in this context.

And, of course, it should be mentioned that Gronk not being "fine" (whatever that means) at the beginning of camp was largely irrelevant given how well he performed in the regular season.

Not sure that BB has rejected the "TB12 way", my recollection is that it was rejected when it conflicted with training regimens with were established by the team and training staff.. also think that some of what Guerrero teaches has been integrated into the training regimen of the Patriots, but that is not the exclusive venue of Guerrero as the NFL has been trending that way for a while now. Sports training technology has been changing for a while now..

BB probably poopooed Guerrero's "kickapoo joy juice", as there is not a lot of evidence on that having any specific value...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes