PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why I think Mac Jones might not start this year

Its simply about wins and losses

I think I would make a similar point but in a different way. He will be more prepared for the speed of the game than most rookie QBs simply because he has already played with and against NFL level talent.

What I think may be more of an adjustment for him is to learn to throw to receivers that aren't wide open. He has been coached by Saban at Alabama to avoid turnovers at all costs, and his stat line reflected that: 44 TDs to 4 INTs, really a remarkably low level of interceptions. But he has been trained to make a throw only if the receiver is completely open with little chance of interception. That will often not be the case of course with the Patriot receivers, he isn't throwing to Devonte Smith and Jalen Waddle.

I predict that many, including on this Board, will call him too "conservative and tentative" in his first year simply because he has been drilled to avoid turnovers at all costs in college. Hopefully he will evolve and learn to throw slightly riskier throws into tighter windows in time.
With Belichick, ball protection has always been a priority.

I don't expect to see Jones at QB until 2022/23, assuming health issues aren't a factor. BB doesn't put rookie QB's in the first year. Bill will go with Cam and Stidham for this season 2021/22.
When was the last time a rookie QB had a chance to start for BB?

If Cam plays as well as an average QB in the NFL, I think that he will play the season and have us in the playoffs. That being said, that is a tall order for Cam.

Belichick is on Year 2 of his 3 year plan. We seem to be on course.
I don't think an average performance will cut it. I think our W/L record will play more of a factor. One way or another, Jones will get his shot at minimum. Its a matter of whether Cam can hold him off...and Cam can do that if we are winning ball games even if he isn't throwing the ball too much.

I don’t think you can make any determination one way or another right now. Let Jones hit a pro weight program and get in with the coaching staff in the film room then watch how they both command the offense (meaning Cam and Mac... Stidham has no shot). If Mac wins the job, he will have it. If not, it will be Cam’s until Mac is ready.

I don't think an average performance will cut it. I think our W/L record will play more of a factor. One way or another, Jones will get his shot at minimum. Its a matter of whether Cam can hold him off...and Cam can do that if we are winning ball games even if he isn't throwing the ball too much.
If Cam produced at the level of an average NFL quarterback, we likely would have won 1-3 more games last year.

This year, the team is much improved, with a hugely upgrade defensive front, and the addition of 4 receiving threats (5 if we count White).

So, while I agree that it is about wins and losses, I think that performing as an average NL quarterback would give us those wins.

With an investment like this in FA, I don't think BB will tolerate many performances from Cam if he plays like the end of last year. I have confidence in Jones to play better than those performances early on if that's the case.

If Cam produced at the level of an average NFL quarterback, we likely would have won 1-3 more games last year.

This year, the team is much improved, with a hugely upgrade defensive front, and the addition of 4 receiving threats (5 if we count White).

So, while I agree that it is about wins and losses, I think that performing as an average NL quarterback would give us those wins.
This team has improved in several ways to almost make itself quarterback-proof. I'm particularly thinking of the improvements in run blocking that Bill has set up for himself, with 2 higher-end veteran run blockers at TE rather than the youngsters we had out there last year. Both Judon and Smith are two way TEs that can catch and block and I think that was important for Bill.

With our heavy investment in the run game, and some good edge blocking from the TEs, as well as the extra meat in our own front 7, we can tolerate some less than stellar play from the QB. It's actually a setup fairly similar to the one Brady inherited in 2001.

That's good news for either Cam or Jones depending on which way things go, of course, But it was also a very clever decision by BB to lower the skill floor of the QB position over the course of the offseason and draft, and I think it'll bear fruit for us this year.

Cool beans...agree to disagree.

Yeah, we are loaded all over the roster everywhere except at WR maybe...but think we are gonna need some above average QBing to get to 11 wins...+4 over last year at minimum in a 17 game season.

I hope they ease him in.
BB won’t throw him to the wolves before he knows the kid is at least semi comfortable
They invested in a talent. Don’t spook him (ex: Darnold). Give him the time he needs
Hopefully by mid season

Bb has a weird infatuation with newton.

newton commands a locker room like nothing we have ever seen before.

However players will follow Jones if Jones proves he is a better option to win games.

bb has to walk a fine line and not fracture the locker room by waffling on qb starters.

The answer, never. That is what I posted.
Yea it's kinda disingenuous to say "a rookie QB has never started" when there hasn't been a real opportunity for it to happen in 20+ years

With an investment like this in FA, I don't think BB will tolerate many performances from Cam if he plays like the end of last year. I have confidence in Jones to play better than those performances early on if that's the case.
I am calling it now, Cam will not make it out of training camp. The more I read about Mac, the more I believe he will command the offense very soon. He will be ahead of both Cam and Stid by TC. Cam will see that the kid knows the system better than him and will advise himself. We will probably have Stid as the backup QB. 5-2-2021

I am calling it now, Cam will not make it out of training camp. The more I read about Mac, the more I believe he will command the offense very soon. He will be ahead of both Cam and Stid by TC. Cam will see that the kid knows the system better than him and will advise himself. We will probably have Stid as the backup QB. 5-2-2021

Your my favorite poster until that changes in 30 seconds

Yea it's kinda disingenuous to say "a rookie QB has never started" when there hasn't been a real opportunity for it to happen in 20+ years
Oh but there has been the opportunity it just hasn't happened

I don't expect to see Jones at QB until 2022/23, assuming health issues aren't a factor. BB doesn't put rookie QB's in the first year. Bill will go with Cam and Stidham for this season 2021/22.
How would you know? When, besides 2000, was BB EVER in a position that starting a rookie QB was even a slight possibility?

Based on what I read, MacEnroe's tendency for Da Vinci Code style self-flagellation after mistakes should probably lead to a season of sitting/learning behind Cam, anyway. Like you said, BB will do what is best for the team. I think he's learned a thing or two about QB controversies and how to handle them. Thanks for making me relive the (only 2 decades ago so not really that) old memories:

"The [paper also responsible for the f*<king Rams walkthrough debacle] beat writers sure did their part, penning the obligatory pro-Bledsoe piece, since no QB controversy is worth its salt unless one of the parties is mad as hell and isn't going to take this anymore:

'A visibly angry Drew Bledsoe said yesterday he "was told" that he'd have an opportunity to compete for the Patriots starting quarterback job once he was cleared by doctors. According to sources close to Bledsoe, that assurance came from coach Bill Belichick.

However, a team source said last night that no promises were given.'"

From The NFL's Last Great Quarterback Controversy
by Malinowski

----

The closest Bill Belichick will come to admitting he misled Drew Bledsoe -- forever damaging that trust -- is the coach's admission Wednesday that, "Maybe last week, maybe there was a little gap in the understanding of what an opportunity would be. ... Maybe I shouldn't have made the commitment to Drew" that he could try to win back his job this season.

If Tom Brady becomes a very good starting quarterback, then Belichick will have won the bold -- some would say unnecessary -- gamble he took Tuesday, announcing that Brady is his quarterback for the rest of the season, "barring unforeseen circumstances."

If Brady doesn't -- if he falters as he has the last couple of games -- then Belichick will get fired. Maybe not in a month, or in a year. But when it happens, we'll point to the decision he made Tuesday as the beginning of the end.

From WITH BLEDSOE, BELICHICK FUMBLES
by Greenberg
these claims about what were said to whom and when are just that....claims.

The common wisdom for YEARS was that by the TC of 2001 the best QB the Pats had at practice was Tom Brady. And I think that was because of the "system" that Bill wanted to run. So it wasn't so much that Drew was no longer a quality NFL starter, but he wasn't the best QB for THEM. I believe strongly that the transition to Brady was going to happen in 2001 short of an all pro year and the playoffs with Bledsoe in charge. Clearly that WASN'T happening at the start of the 2001 season. Bledsoe's injury just made that transition easier to make. All the "intrigue" and drama that occurred in all the narratives that are designed to sell books are just that, NARRATIVES.

See the thing is that Drew felt that he was told that he'd have the opportunity to COMPETE for the just of starting QB of the Patriots. The truth is that he HAD been competing for the job of starting QB of the Pats since July and had been LOSING it. By the time of the bad offensive performances to open the 2001 season. (less than 330 passing yds in TWO games), it was no longer a matter of IF but when. Drew's injury was just serendipitous

How would you know? When, besides 2000, was BB EVER in a position that starting a rookie QB was even a slight possibility?

He has learned we'll.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back