PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why has it been so hard to find elite o-linemen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quest4SevenHomie

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
The o-line have failed to protect Brady even against inept pass rush defense.

They constantly struggle and have heart attacks at the biggest moments. We haven't had a decent o-line since the 2014 season.

Meanwhile teams like the Saints, Rams, Titans, Bears all have elite o-linemen... that can actually block.

They constantly struggle and have heart attacks at the biggest moments. We haven't had a decent o-line since the 2014 season.

Meanwhile teams like the Saints, Rams, Titans, Bears all have elite o-linemen... that can actually block.
Your criticism is misguided.

They've allowed the 4th fewest sacks in the NFL.

Shaq, Andrews and Trent Brown have been very good this year. Even Thuney has been above average. Cannon is getting healthy.

The Patriots generally take OL late in the draft, which means that they are usually looking for 'good enough' rather than 'elite'. When they do take OL high in the draft, they generally hit on them, even if the player isn't elite. The problem this year has been much more about health than talent.

Mason - hurt
Cannon - hurt
Wynn (Rookie 1st round draft pick) - IR

Pats always have a top oline...Belichick believes in investing on the outside and lets Scarnechia work magic w the interior...

The Patriots generally take OL late in the draft, which means that they are usually looking for 'good enough' rather than 'elite'. When they do take OL high in the draft, they generally hit on them, even if the player isn't elite. The problem this year has been much more about health than talent.

Mason - hurt
Cannon - hurt
Wynn (Rookie 1st round draft pick) - IR
Right on. Our good OL from the past were 1st or 2nd round picks.

Because when you watch a team each week, you see the mistakes. When you watch teams from highlight films, you see the...highlights.

Pats O-line is very good, and young. And will be better next year with Wynn back (I hope they re-sign T. Brown).

(blah blah)

Isn't there enough to troll about without resorting to this nonsense?
Injuries notwithstanding New England's o-line play has been a strength for some time. You should try watching this team instead of just trolling it.

Many people have said Waddle has struggled this year. Otherwise, the line has been solid and as someone mentioned, has not given up that many sacks. Health, like all positions, has been the biggest problem.

It’s not necessarily hard to find elite OL. It’s more the CBA rules hindering OTAs, practices, minicamps etc. Essentially, they have less time to learn, develop & gel as a unit. Obviously, that’s not the end all be all, but that’s a major issue.

Most of the Pats' problems in pass protection, when they've had them, have been the direct result of injuries. Basically, Karras and Waddle are not good players. When they're forced into duty, they look like crap and Brady gets hit. If we can get a bit of injury luck on the OL and keep Brown-Thuney-Andrews-Mason-Cannon healthy the rest of the way, then OL will not be a worry for me.

The lack of depth is a bit alarming, but they're managing as well as can be reasonably expected given what happened to Wynn, IMO.

Your criticism is misguided.

They've allowed the 4th fewest sacks in the NFL.

Shaq, Andrews and Trent Brown have been very good this year. Even Thuney has been above average. Cannon is getting healthy.

And what about in the biggest moments, like the Super Bowl? Where were the o-line, then? If I recall, Shaq Mason was the one who had a heart attack and allowed the strip sack

Nate Solder thought it was a grenade (see Cam Newton, SB50 refernce). He watched as the chEagles d-lineman recovered the ball.

And let's not forget SB 51, how Brady was sacked a record number of times. I think it was either 5 or 8 sacks by Atlanta?

Last edited:
No question our offensive line is pretty mediocre (if that). You just have to watch their performance on 3rd and short to know that.

College schemes/rules around college practices

Seems like when there's too much time between games, we get threads like this. I'm not saying it's a bad question though.

The Pats O-line has struggled at times this year and it shows more when the skill players at the WR/TE can't get consistent separation.

And what about in the biggest moments, like the Super Bowl? Where were the o-line, then? If I recall, Shaq Mason was the one who had a heart attack and allowed the strip sack

Nate Solder thought it was a grenade (see Cam Newton, SB50 refernce). He watched as the chEagles d-lineman recovered the ball.

And let's not forget SB 51, how Brady was sacked a record number of times. I think it was either 5 or 8 sacks by Atlanta?
2007-8 Super Bowl was the most disappointing performance. I seriously thought they were either drunk or had massive hangovers. It totally reminded me of the movie "Varsity Blues" when the star players got drunk at a strip club and their team got their a** kicked the following night.

WTH are you blathering about? Yes Mason missed on one play but Brady put up record numbers behind that line in the SB. I don't know what team you really root for (guessing lolphins) but if you think losing that game can be laid at the feet of the o-line you don't even deserve to watch whatever miserable excuse for a team you have. Maybe try some middle school ball and learn your way up. As or the SB against Atlanta just sit down and shut up with that practice squad BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News