PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why do we (and the media) care so much about Edelman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if it's me or not, but is Dustin Pedroia to the Red Sox what Wes Welker is to the Patriots? Just putting it out there.. the little engines who could.

Last edited:
you cannot compare that.....

only parallel is two small white boys :)

You've become quite the respectable and respectful poster. Good on ya.

Been in enough ****ting matches and I know how annoying it is dealing with Jets fans that are like I once was... Meh, I've grown up. Not to mention you guys are my besties compared to Jets fans. :D

Last edited:
I agree with you in part on this: I doubt he gets thrown to 9-10x/game on most other teams. That said, he was still Miami's most productive receiver in 2006, and I think he could lead pretty much any team in the league in receptions (assuming they can actually get the ball to him).

See, man, it's almost impossible to say. You guys only used him in between the 20's for the most part early on, but have started to find ways to get him in the end zone as his career continues.

With us, that team 2006 was just a collapse. Chris Chambers SHOULD'VE lead our team in every category, but he just had a ****ty, ****ty year.

In our offense right now, I honestly don't think Welker would do any more than Davone Bess. And by that I mean 6 catches and 60 yards with no scored would be his typical game. And that's not to knock Wes, but our offense just wouldn't suit him. We run a lot of perimeter stuff, run the ball a ton, and don't allot for much YAC.

Wes would look good doing those bubble screens for us, though. We try them and try them and Ginn goes out of bounds like the ***** he is and Bess chops his feet, looks like he's moving 1,000 MPH and then gets cut down after three yards.

I think you're right in saying Wes could lead a lot of teams in receptions, but New England is the quintessential fit for him.

I think Edelman was the door-opener to something that might be a trend for the foreseeable future of the TFB era: QB-gone-receiver.

Welker and Moss are deadly because they read the field with almost identical eyes to Brady. Lewis, Galloway and numerous others could not.

Edelman was ballin' right out of the gate. Why? I bet his physical abilities combined with his ability to read the field like a QB are why.

Stanback had a very nice outing last week. Why? Same as above.

This is the game changing again, imo. When every receiver is reading the D effectively, especially after a couple of series, who will be open and where gets more reliable.

So Edelman cam from out of nowhere and another position to quite sensibly, but excitingly make the team as a major player and is showing great signs, minus the blip from the arm break.

Now we just need some kind of revolution on D, and maybe all these linebackers in safeties clothing is the start of that.

I think Edelman was the door-opener to something that might be a trend for the foreseeable future of the TFB era: QB-gone-receiver.

Welker and Moss are deadly because they read the field with almost identical eyes to Brady. Lewis, Galloway and numerous others could not.

Edelman was ballin' right out of the gate. Why? I bet his physical abilities combined with his ability to read the field like a QB are why.

Stanback had a very nice outing last week. Why? Same as above.

This is the game changing again, imo. When every receiver is reading the D effectively, especially after a couple of series, who will be open and where gets more reliable.

So Edelman cam from out of nowhere and another position to quite sensibly, but excitingly make the team as a major player and is showing great signs, minus the blip from the arm break.

Now we just need some kind of revolution on D, and maybe all these linebackers in safeties clothing is the start of that.

You're onto something... didn't think of this before.

Because he's white? :confused:

you cannot compare that.....

only parallel is two small white boys :)
I'm not so sure. I see two men, of reasonably small stature who despite all the stereotypes about what they should be physically to succeed, fly in the face of those stereotypes and continue to perform with guts, determination and albeit....... some class.

Last edited:
In fairness Julian Edelman came here unheralded and exploded out of the blocks in preseason and then did it when Welker was out at the start of the regular season, maybe not to the same level as the slot machine but he was very good.

Yupyup, he exploded right out of the gate during preseason, not only was he fast but he runs tough, he's unafraid. Similar to Wes but at the same time he's got his own skill set. He's exciting to watch and when BB had him paired with Wes... all good! "Binky", I don't know, but I think most fans here love seeing rookies do well right away and speed is kind of a coveted quality.

Sea Bass was my adopted rookie but there's always room for one more :) I'm very,very glad we have Julian.

I will say this: there's no replacing Moss, and there was no replacing Welker (as an underneath threat.) Well, there's still no replacing these guys, just b/c of the level of play they bring. But it's a very good feeling that we can field another high-caliber threat with that shiftiness and field vision. Yes they have different skill sets but they have commonalities too.

I still think he ends up in Miami sooner or later. But for now, draft grade has improved to the Bet+, Aleph if you take into account the round he was drafted in.

PFnV

We care about JE because he is a 'fairytale story'.

A 7th round player, making the transition from QB to WR in a complex system.

The guy's a quarterback who walken in and started playing receiver like he'd been here for years while a couple guys with combined 20+ seasons washed out.

He's got good quicks and great potential, because intelligence just adds sooo much to the package.

He's white and small, therefore many small white people identify with him.

It helps that most people are small and white.

Edelman reminds me of the Givens success story. A 7th round pick who outplays his draft position by far. He's more like Welker than Givens in his attributes, but he's played like he's not a rookie, which is a good thing to have.

People that are saying he's white are absurd. the guy never played receiver before the off season.

Not everyfricking thing is about race.:mad:

Stanback looks pretty good too.

Could it be because they are smart and disciplined quarterbacks?

Last edited:
Because of what he just did to get us a critical 3rd down.

He's a fiesty guy out there. BIG 3rd down reception stretchin out with a second effort Vs Jets. Looks like a Welker Jr out there. Another weapon for us.

Took my wife to her first exhibition game in Aug. She's wanted an Edelman jersey ever since. The kid is electric.

Took my wife to her first exhibition game in Aug. She's wanted an Edelman jersey ever since. The kid is electric.

Go to the Pro Shop site and ask them to carry it. They just might do it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST