PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why did we ever get rid of the old uniforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Flying Elvis and Blue and silver colors came from Krafty trying to separate his team from previous ownership. A new start and all.

Not true. They were changed before Robert Kraft bought the team.

I realize this is not a poll, but I hate the old unis--too many bad memories, besides they make our players look smaller.

It's not the uniforms but the association with the uniform. That uniform historically smacks of "the Patsies" - a nickname I am very happy to leave in history.

Not true. They were changed before Robert Kraft bought the team.

Then an earlier poster was correct and Parcells ordered.

Either way, the redesign was a break from the past.

What is interesting is out here in flyover country, I have seen an increasing amount of pat gear.

My next big attrie addition is going to be the full line of XLxx "Super Bowl Champions" gear.

I love the old red ones on TV. They really pop.

I realize this is not a poll, but I hate the old unis--too many bad memories, besides they make our players look smaller.

If the Pats had been wearing their regular home blues yesterday, it would have been like 42-7.

Now though, if you're not close up you could mistake us for the Titans or Chargers or Panthers or Seahawks, etc.

You mistake them for other teams? (Titans have white helmets, Chargers have white helmets, Seahawks have dull green-colored helmets, only Panthers have silver helmets but the uni colors are clearly different). It's always clear to me its the Patriots.

I like the new unis better. Very sharp. And the flying elvis is a cleaner logo than Pat. And red is just wrong for a team called the Patriots. Plus, they have won Super Bowls in the new uni. That seals it.

You mistake them for other teams? (Titans have white helmets, Chargers have white helmets, Seahawks have dull green-colored helmets, only Panthers have silver helmets but the uni colors are clearly different). It's always clear to me its the Patriots.

He is watching on a black and white TV, obviously.

What a bunch of girls, talking about the uniforms....:D

I'm in the camp that likes the old uniforms, but don't want them back because the Pats have won with the new ones.

Reminds me years ago I was at a game where they were wearing the old ones and they brought out the flying elvis logo at halftime for the fans to "vote" by cheering. Dead silence for the new one (well, a few boos.) Funny. Then a few years later they just starting using 'em.

I don't like the old uniforms, but Tom Brady does look very nice wearing it! :D

True. In all the movies, the real patriots wore blue and the British wore red.
Actually, the Continental Army did wear blue in real life, once they actually had uniforms. Now that you mention it, it really makes no sense at all that the Pats wore red for so long. The British were called redcoats for a reason.

On the other hand, for a long time, the American militia didn't wear uniforms at all, just regular civilian/hunting clothing, and they were a big part of the war for quite a while.

Bright red isn't a good color. Plus it was so cursed for so long. I don't really like the blue that much and the silver isn't good. Maybe blue with some red on it.

I like pat patriot better than the elvis logo, but not sure if they should change it back.

i dont mind the new uni's, adn believe they are tops in the league

but im too young to ahve watched the pats play in the old ones, however i like them a lot too

I *hate* the old uniforms. everytime they wear them its like "lets commemorate sucking". Does germany celebrate getting their ass kicked in ww2? I dont think so.

What a bunch of girls, talking about the uniforms....:D

I'm in the camp that likes the old uniforms, but don't want them back because the Pats have won with the new ones.

Reminds me years ago I was at a game where they were wearing the old ones and they brought out the flying elvis logo at halftime for the fans to "vote" by cheering. Dead silence for the new one (well, a few boos.) Funny. Then a few years later they just starting using 'em.

I was at that game too, I'm pretty sure it was in 1978 or 1979. The new logo voted on that day was not the "Flying Elvis." I tried looking for it on Google images but couldn't find it (I'm sure someone out there has the image, probably an "iNfamous formEr Many-time poster on this board"). As I recall it was kind of a weird combination of a flag and a big star in a sort of rectangular shape.

Count me in the pro-Elvis camp, I like the colors and the look much better, and in fact part of me cringes whenever I see the old unis (seeing them takes me back to Super Blow XX and the "**uck Chairbanks" game from December 31, 1978)

Seriously. I know not everyone likes them, but they're so sharp and good looking. Now the new logo and colors just make us blend in with most of the other teams. Before it was unique, all football fans knew who the Patriots were before just by the colors/logo. Now though, if you're not close up you could mistake us for the Titans or Chargers or Panthers or Seahawks, etc.

I'd love it if we could go back to the old logo and uniform. It was like a blast from the past watching us play today.
It was all Orthwein IMHO. He chose a uni scheme believing he was going to take the team to St. Louis, and he thought it also wouldn't hurt if it alienated us fans in anyway.

The Flying Elvis and Blue and silver colors came from Krafty trying to separate his team from previous ownership. A new start and all.

But I do love me some Pat Patriot Red white and Blue uni's.
It was Orthwein who brought in the new uni's. Kraft came a year or two later.

Then an earlier poster was correct and Parcells ordered.

Either way, the redesign was a break from the past.

What is interesting is out here in flyover country, I have seen an increasing amount of pat gear.

My next big attrie addition is going to be the full line of XLxx "Super Bowl Champions" gear.

According to the history on Patriots dot com, the color change from Red to Blue was made by Orthwien (sp). Kraft is responsible for the change to dark blue from those ridiculous striped blue jerseys.

If we had lost sunday, I guarantee two things...

1) This thread would not have been posted :cool:
2) In the slim chance it was,it would have received 200 1 star ratings :cool:

I can't stand those red uniforms. I like our threatening dark blue ones much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back