PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why did the Patriots regress in 2005?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They weren't that great in 2010. The defense was wretched and they were the Air Brady show and not much else. Shut Brady down and the season ends like it did.

Too many injuries to too many players that mattered in 2013 and 15.

I don't think they lost to SEA in 08.

Your correct. Didn't lose to Seattle. Lost to Indy, Miami, Pittsburgh, Jets, Chargers.

2015 they had injuries. However they lost three of their last four games to non playoff contenders ( Minus Jets).

Man, Dillon went from astounding to ass in one off season. He looked heavier, slower and had zero burst. The vision was still there, but everything else was gone. He went down in every statistical category and, if memory serves, took quite a few tackles in the backfield. He actually had a better 2006 than 2005.
This was another crucial blow. Corey battled some nagging injuries, and of course as always the local media can be counted on to antagonize and alienate players.

The physical talent was there, at the end. The team chemistry wasn't; I felt that Rodney rehabbing in Atlanta instead of being there in Denver, firing up the team in the locker room and on the sideline, was the last straw. Like everybody else, I was pissed.

Bruschi had the stroke, he regained to be a solid player but wasn't the guy he was pre-stroke.

Ted Johnson retired and was still playing at a pretty high level.

Early season injuries to Rodney Harrison and Matt Light sending both to IR.

Loss of Romeo and Weis.

Dillon declined a bit and battled injuries all year, still a good back but the rb position goes from elite to pretty average.

That is ALOT to overcome right there, especially Bruschi and Rodney who were major leaders on defense, 2 of the best you'll see in Patriot history at their positions. And some of the FA's who were being counted on to alleviate some of that were complete busts - poor FA year.

Last edited:
The beat downs by CAR and SD were pretty good indicators it wasn't our year.

I think the Colts hammered us at Gillette too but maybe I'm thinking of 06.

Bruschi had the stroke, he regained to be a solid player but wasn't the guy he was pre-stroke.

Ted Johnson retired and was still playing at a pretty high level.

Early season injuries to Rodney Harrison and Matt Light sending both to IR.

Loss of Romeo and Weis.

Dillon declined a bit and battled injuries all year, still a good back but nothing compared to the stud he was in 2004.

That is ALOT to overcome right there, especially Bruschi and Rodney who were major leaders on defense, 2 of the best you'll see in Patriot history at their positions. And some of the FA's who were being counted on to alleviate some of that were complete busts - poor FA year.
Yeah, that was probably the worst FA off season of the BB era. His hand was somewhat forced and there just wasn't much out there.

2006 was because the Pats were hit by a nasty flu bug, and the Colts made their dome hot. The Patriots were dropping like flies. (They had Eric Alexander playing LB on the last drive.)

• Loss of charlie and romeo.
  • Loss of ty law.
  • Injuries, esp. rodney harrison.

Bru out first few games.

Traylor, Johnson retired.

Chad Brown and Monty Beisel sucked.

Rookie Hobbs

Dillon hurt

Andruzzi left.

Because Super Bowls are fricken hard to get to. The odds in each game vary, but a 10 game win streak - against teams that made the playoffs is good. It isn't exactly a coin flip, but 10 times it came up heads. For 11 well luck evens out and tails was due.

Most notable of course was the 100 yard pick six by Champ Bailey that should have been called a touchback. It was late in the third quarter and instead of the Patriots going up 13-10, Denver went up 17-6.

Because this is the internet I have to be obligatorially annoying.

It was not a pick-six (though you are certainly right it should have been called a touchback). Even Idiot Triplette could not deny that the ball was out before Bailey crossed the goal line. The ball was marked at the 1 and Mike Anderson scored the TD on the next play.

• Loss of charlie and romeo.
  • Loss of ty law.
  • Injuries, esp. rodney harrison.

Bruschi was a huge one too. He came back midway through the season, but he was nowhere near 100%, the stroke clearly messed him up. They also lost McGinest in FA

We still maybe win the Super Bowl if the refs knew what a touchback was.
Didn't help that the most moronic of all the refs was reffing that game.

The D finally found its footing at the end of the season and were dominant. They played well in the division game but turnovers cost the Pats the game. Again, like 2006, if they won that game, they would have won the super-bowl.

Haven't read any responses, but there's my reason for the regression........

Duane Starks
Monty Biesel
Chad Brown
Rodney Harrison injury

Your correct. Didn't lose to Seattle. Lost to Indy, Miami, Pittsburgh, Jets, Chargers.

2015 they had injuries. However they lost three of their last four games to non playoff contenders ( Minus Jets).
Yeah, rumor has it that they were having a hard time even fielding enough healthy bodies (starters and rotational guys) on both sides of the ball to even run efficient practices in '15.

Haven't read any responses, but there's my reason for the regression........

Duane Starks
Monty Biesel
Chad Brown
Rodney Harrison injury
Yes, no doubt. The defense had some glaring weaknesses and some poor FA signings were a big part of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back