PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why did the Patriots regress in 2005?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy5Rings

Rookie
Reaction score
Back2back champions and then they lose in the divisional to Jake Plummer

I'd have to see a lot more evidence of actual regression before I thought that that was the problem. Winning the superbowl is so hard that a lot of factors can go into why a team wins one year and not the next, and skill and talent are only one of those factors.

The 2005 team lost many of the key contributors. Law, Andruzzi, Phifer, Johnson, etc. Bruschi had a stroke. Add to that Weis' departure and some misses in free agents (Beisel, Chad Brown and Duane Starks). It was a year that little seemed to stick (although those possibilities sounded promising before the season started).

The draft went well, but rookies couldn't save the free agent misses and the veteran losses. They lost to the good teams they played, so it was something of a regression. It never really felt like they had a shot to win it all (but for winning 4 of 5 down the final stretch, they weren't looking like a playoff team).

I remember that year very well. All of the above(coordinators leaving etc) contributed to that failed season. But if that damn pick in the redzone didn't happen i'm convinced we win that Denver game.

Bruschi had a stroke that year. Ty Law left. Crennel left. Lot and lots and lots of injuries. Threw off the defense quit a bit. Plus Weis left.

Definition of a Super Bowl hangover year.

The pass defense was ass.

Dillon hit the wall and just a lot of injuries in general. IIRC even Vinatieri had an off year

And don't forget Ratgini couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag.

How bad was it? I remember a graphic showing that in opponents' first 20 trips into the red zone, the Pats were 20/20 in allowing touchdowns.

It was literally bend and then break.

Plummer didn't do anything special that night. When you turn the ball over five times you are going to lose to even the worst team in the league, never mind a playoff team.

Early on it looked good with the Pats making a goal line stand and then Asante Samuel intercepting a Plummer pass. However a Kevin Faulk fumble and PI on Samuel resulted in a Bronco TD, and Ellis Hobbs fumbled the ensuing kickoff that led to a FG just before halftime. Two fumbles and only down 10-3 at half thanks to the D.

Most notable of course was the 100 yard pick six by Champ Bailey that should have been called a touchback. It was late in the third quarter and instead of the Patriots going up 13-10, Denver went up 17-6.

Down eleven with 15 minutes to go was not insurmountable, but Vinatieri missed a FG and then Troy Brown muffed a punt deep in NE territory that quickly set up another TD.

Pretty much everything that could go wrong did that night - most notably from players that were usually very reliable. Sometimes that happens; unfortunately this came at a most inopportune time.

The Patriots had defeated the Steelers in Pittsburgh early that season, but I don't think that team would have done it again had they won in Denver. The secondary was in rough shape by the end of the year and Dillon was beat up and slowing down. You can't win it all every year.

I remember we lost Bruschi to a stroke and we had Chad Brown and Monty Beisel as our starting linebackers. As a result our run defense was like wet toilet paper with those two clowns.

Ty Law was allowed to walk and was replaced with Duane Starks. Rodney Harrison and missed most of the season. Eugene Wilson regressed.

David Patton left via free agency.

Tedy Bruschi had a stroke, missed half the season, and returned only a fraction of his 2004 self. Ted Johnson retired.

Matt Light were lost for the year and Logan Mankins was a rookie.

Kevin Faulk missed half the year and Corey Dillon declined sharply.

Virtually none of the replacement players panned out.

Everything that could go wrong in that playoff game did. Would've been tough sledding to win a title that year anyway, but that game was a fiasco. It happens.

There were a variety of reasons, many of them injury related.
- No ILBs. Ted Johnson was forced to retire due to concussions.
- Tedy Bruschi had the stroke. This forced Vrabel inside with Monty Beisel and Chad Brown.
- Dillon injured for 6 games (missing 4).
- Patrick Pass missing 4 games
- Kevin Faulk missing 8 games
- Heath Evans having to start a game as the primary runningback
- Amos Zereoue and Mike "2 yards and a "Cloud "of dust" not helping.
- Rodney Harrison's injury.
- Eugene Wilson's psyche being shot after his broken arm.
- Duane Starks being injured and not performing
- Seymour missing 4 games
- Randall Gay missing most of the season
- Mike Wright missing 3 games due to concussion
- Daniel Graham missing 5 games
- Ty Poole missing 15 games
- Troy Brown missing 3 games
- David Givens missing 3 games
- Matt Light missed 13 games.

- Ryan Claridge's brother committed suicide prior to the start of training camp and his psyche never recovered.

The Pats had let Ty Law go. Keith Traylor also moved on, hurting the depth on the D-Line.

As for the Denver game.. That was the game where Ben Watson ran down Champ Bailey and knocked the ball loose and the refs blew the call because they said it went out the side inside of through the endzone, which would have given the Pats the ball back.

During the run of 2001-2004 you had a roster whose open market value was probably close to double the cap. As those players cobtracts ran out there was just no way to afford them.
They had to be replaced with lesser players at higher cost.

Monte Bessel, chad brown and Duane starks were the key additions. The secondary was ravaged by injuries and there was no depth at all.

Dillon and Troy brown were over the hill. Tim Dwight was the major offensive addition.
The ol was decimated with light and koppen, its 2 best and must important pieces lost for the season after 3 and 8 games.

Losing both coordinators didn't help.

Meh. Better question would be how the 06 team failed to win it all. 21-3 and I thought it was well over. I was wrong.

2007 is proof of " any given Sunday". Kind of like Patriots over Rams. Nonetheless, they beat the Giants nine out of ten times. That Tyree catch will never happen again.

2008 team would've made it had Moss not dropped the ball in the Colts game. Or if they didn't lose to the likes of Seattle. Not a SB team with MC however.

09 team was flawed from the start. Weren't going anywhere. In fact, that was probably one of the more boring teams of the BB Era.

2010 was a SB team. They beat the Jets nine out of ten times. Jets played their SB that night.

2011 was a flawed team ( Especially D) carried by TB. Fact they almost won a SB with that D was stunning in itself.

2012..SB team. They rolled over in the second half vs Baltimore.

2013...weren't winning in Denver with that crowd & WR group. Had we won...Seattle would've did to us what they did to Denver.

2015...inexcusable SB team who lost to the likes of Miami, Jets, Eagles in the final few weeks. Win one of those games and the AFCCG is at home. No way Denver would've did what they did at the razor. I thought BB ( Coin toss, Eagles,) really let the team down near the end.

The pass defense was ass.

Dillon hit the wall and just a lot of injuries in general. IIRC even Vinatieri had an off year
Man, Dillon went from astounding to ass in one off season. He looked heavier, slower and had zero burst. The vision was still there, but everything else was gone. He went down in every statistical category and, if memory serves, took quite a few tackles in the backfield. He actually had a better 2006 than 2005.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Meh. Better question would be how the 06 team failed to win it all. 21-3 and I thought it was well over. I was wrong.

2007 is proof of " any given Sunday". Kind of like Patriots over Rams. Nonetheless, they beat the Giants nine out of ten times. That Tyree catch will never happen again.

2008 team would've made it had Moss not dropped the ball in the Colts game. Or if they didn't lose to the likes of Seattle. Not a SB team with MC however.

09 team was flawed from the start. Weren't going anywhere. In fact, that was probably one of the more boring teams of the BB Era.

2010 was a SB team. They beat the Jets nine out of ten times. Jets played their SB that night.

2011 was a flawed team ( Especially D) carried by TB. Fact they almost won a SB with that D was stunning in itself.

2012..SB team. They rolled over in the second half vs Baltimore.

2013...weren't winning in Denver with that crowd & WR group. Had we won...Seattle would've did to us what they did to Denver.

2015...inexcusable SB team who lost to the likes of Miami, Jets, Eagles in the final few weeks. Win one of those games and the AFCCG is at home. No way Denver would've did what they did at the razor. I thought BB ( Coin toss, Eagles,) really let the team down near the end.

They weren't that great in 2010. The defense was wretched and they were the Air Brady show and not much else. Shut Brady down and the season ends like it did.

Too many injuries to too many players that mattered in 2013 and 15.

I don't think they lost to SEA in 08.

I tried so hard not to dislike your post because I'm not disliking your post because I dislike your post. But those names, man! I just had to dislike that!:confused:
I'm almost acquiring the disability dyslexia in displaying the disproportionate distortions distracting dislikes besides my dismay that we didn't threepeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft