PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Carolina should not take a QB at #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Jimmy Clausen was absolutely atrocious last season. I've never liked the kid, and always felt he was over-rated. But if a team is willing to spend a 2nd-round pick on a QB, they need to give the kid more than one year to prove himself.

Plenty of quality NFL QBs have played poorly in their first seasons. Even some who had the luxury of sitting and learning still struggled the first time they got extensive playing time.

Eli Manning played in 9 games, starting 7 his rookie season, and had a worse QB rating than Clausen (55.4 to 58.4). While Eli isn't a star, he's a decent starter in the league. Kyle Orton started 15 games for the Bears his rookie season, and had a QBR of 59.7 before being benched in favour of Rex Grossman. He mostly sat for two years before getting a starting job again, and blossomed after being traded to Denver in his 5th season.

Donovan McNabb had a QBR of 60.1, completion percentage of 49.1%, and threw 8 TDs vs. 7 INTs. Even the great Peyton Manning struggled early on, throwing 12 TDs vs. 18 INTs in his first 9 games while completing 55% of his passes for a 62 QBR before the light came on and he finished strongly.

I'm not saying Clausen is the answer. I'm saying we can't possibly know what he is after only just one season where he was thrown into the fire in one of the best divisions in football. If the Panthers need a reminder that you can't give up on a QB too soon, they only need to look above them in the division to the Saints.

Drew Brees wasn't forced to start his rookie season with the Chargers, but he struggled for two years as a starter before breaking out in his 4th year. Of course this happened only after the Chargers gave up on him and drafted Philip Rivers. While I'm sure the Chargers are happy with Rivers, the Saints are probably happier with Brees and their Super Bowl trophy.

If there was an elite QB prospect, I'd understand. But at the top, all I see are major question marks at the QB position, certainly not great bets to out-do Clausen with a year under his belt.

Last edited:
I agree; they should not burn the first pick on a QB...but let's hope they do. I don't want the run on DEs to start too early.

The one Carolina game I watched, the receivers dropped more balls then Sexy Rexy does F-bombs.

I think that they better off moving down a bit if they can. In any case, we will not likely be affected. Newton and Gabbert should be the only quarterbacks picked in the top 9 in any case.

I think that they better off moving down a bit if they can. In any case, we will not likely be affected. Newton and Gabbert should be the only quarterbacks picked in the top 9 in any case.

Probably right, except the Bills are reportedly high on Cam Newton and are often mocked as taking Von Miller. After the Bills, the only logical homes for Miller in the top eight are Arizona and San Fran. If the Panthers take Dareus @1 and the Bills take Newton, I might just get my hopes up a little that Von Miller starts to fall into tradeable range like Cleveland at 6 (17+33)

To me, the primary reason that Carolina shouldn't take the top QB from THIS class is that, in the long run, it won't help them as much as taking Dareus now and the #2 QB from the 2012 class. And they'll almost certainly be drafting high enough again in 2012 to get that #2 QB (or possibly even the #1 QB) no matter what they do in this draft.

While I agree on Miller, I don't think that Denver would pass on him. Even if Denver passed on Miller, ARIZ would be entertaining bids for him at #5.

Probably right, except the Bills are reportedly high on Cam Newton and are often mocked as taking Von Miller. After the Bills, the only logical homes for Miller in the top eight are Arizona and San Fran. If the Panthers take Dareus @1 and the Bills take Newton, I might just get my hopes up a little that Von Miller starts to fall into tradeable range like Cleveland at 6 (17+33)

While I agree on Miller, I don't think that Denver would pass on him. Even if Denver passed on Miller, ARIZ would be entertaining bids for him at #5.

Fun idle speculation.

1. Panthers - Dareus
2. Broncos - Peterson
3. Bills - Newton
4. Bengals - Green
5. Cardinals - Gabbert
6. Patriots trade #17 +33 - Von Miller

Lots of moving parts, but not an impossible scenario.

Fun idle speculation.

1. Panthers - Dareus
2. Broncos - Peterson
3. Bills - Newton
4. Bengals - Green
5. Cardinals - Gabbert

Dear god please dont let us ever do this.

Fun idle speculation.

1. Panthers - Dareus
2. Broncos - Peterson
3. Bills - Newton
4. Bengals - Green
5. Cardinals - Gabbert

Dear god please dont let us ever do this.

Well SAID, Brother Bruschi!!
jester.gif

No offense, Brother Manx, but that would NOT be my idea of fun. :eek:

But, hey: If it's yours, Viva le Difference...or something. :D

Fun idle speculation.

1. Panthers - Dareus
2. Broncos - Peterson
3. Bills - Newton
4. Bengals - Green
5. Cardinals - Gabbert

OH LAWD!!!

Putting all your eggs in one basket, risky move.....I don't like it.

The one Carolina game I watched, the receivers dropped more balls then Sexy Rexy does F-bombs.
As average as Clausen's debut season was that team has a considerable amount of needs that QB slides way beneath. They complimented that by a sporadic run game in 2010.

They'd have to go defense with number 1 wouldn't they? I just can't see Gabbert & Newton being anything more than Vince Young and Matt Leinart.

I agree 100 percent agree, i think he needs another yeah to show that he can bounce back. Besides they threw him with the panther and expected to win with that cast, never mind learn to play the position.

Off topic: Miller is the best OLB in the draft, no doubt about it. However i don't see him as a top 10. I don't think he is a better pass rusher than Quin, Aldon or Kerrigan.I much rather would take my changes to convert Quin to a OLB than to draft Miller.

As average as Clausen's debut season was that team has a considerable amount of needs that QB slides way beneath. They complimented that by a sporadic run game in 2010.

They'd have to go defense with number 1 wouldn't they? I just can't see Gabbert & Newton being anything more than Vince Young and Matt Leinart.
in fact! Leinart is out there waiting for a job (well, technically not yet)... I'd sign him waaay before I'd spend top 5 $$ on Gabbert/Newton.

and NO WAY would I spend 2 picks on Miller.

in fact! Leinart is out there waiting for a job (well, technically not yet)... I'd sign him waaay before I'd spend top 5 $$ on Gabbert/Newton.

and NO WAY would I spend 2 picks on Miller.

If i am not mistaken, the texans tagged him with a 1st round tag, and he is not worth that.

If I were running Carolina, I would trade down as often as possible, fill the roster with young players and make sure the team has the 2012 #1 pick...for Luck

There is no QB worth a #1 pick in this draft in my eyes.Like somebody said...they will be probably picking high next year aswell so better off taking a safe pick.

Dareus,Peterson,Green imo.

They will take Cam Newton for economic reasons.

1. He fills the seats.
2. He's the new face of the franchise.
3. He's very athletic and exciting in the mold of a Vick or Mcnabb.
4. He's marketable.
5. They're desperate for a QB.

Maybe they shouldn't take Newton #1 overall. The QBs in this draft don't rate that highly, but most likely they will just because they need to give their fans some hope and sell those season tickets.

CINCI and ARIZONA both could trade up if CAROLINA was willing.

If I were running Carolina, I would trade down as often as possible, fill the roster with young players and make sure the team has the 2012 #1 pick...for Luck

That could be a whole other thread - what team would have a huge reason (and the draft ammo) to jump ahead of Denver and take the #1 overall off Carolina's hands (at the usual steep discount)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well SAID, Brother Bruschi!!

No offense, Brother Manx, but that would NOT be my idea of fun. :eek:

But, hey: If it's yours, Viva le Difference...or something. :D

I need the draft to hurry up and come around. Speculation for speculations sake right now. Need a lie down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back