PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why can't we draft receivers?

I wonder how many of the Patriots failed drafted receivers would have been a success elsewhere. I wonder how many are just because of poor drafting and how many are because they are poorly developed after they are drafted. It is hard to ever know because once a player fails in one place, a team isn't going to invest time to retrain these players. They just end up being crappy players forever with a rare few actually rehabbing their career.

I look at Thornton. He looked really promising early year before he got hurt. And to this day, he still struggles with some of the fundamentals and route running. Maybe if he was coached better, he would be a good player. He has the physical tools to at least be an one dimensional deep threat. He hasn't even become that.

Belichick's requirements for a WR is probably not the best. I think he would pass on a stud receiver who cannot block for a lesser receiver who does everything. He seems to prioritize blocking for a WR more than most.
All Thornton can do is run fast. He has none of the other skills required by a WR. He also has extremely small hands (8") for a wideout, can't get off press coverage and runs terrible routes. I will also add that the Belichick draft evaluation system is broken and hasn't been updated in over 29 years.

All Thornton can do is run fast. He has none of the other skills required by a WR. He also has extremely small hands (8") for a wideout, can't get off press coverage and runs terrible routes. I will also add that the Belichick draft evaluation system is broken and hasn't been updated in over 29 years.

thing is, his scouting report says all just that...

"Thornton is rail thin, and it looks like he won’t be able to add much weight to his frame. Being so light could make Thornton struggle to get off press coverage and have problems with physical cornerbacks. Thornton is also linear as a route runner and has some limitations. As a result of his size and route-running, Thornton might top out as a third and or fourth rotational receiver in the NFL."

Brady wanted to leave for reasons only he knows (probably related to the Miami tampering), and requested after the 2018 SB that he not be tagged after the following year 2019. Kraft publicly granted him that freedom, saying it was the least he could do given everything Tom had done. It was not Bill "letting Brady walk". The fact Brady was turning 43 was a contributing factor I'm sure, and that Giselle wanted him to retire etc. All roads pointed to Brady leaving, and nobody was at fault.
So you don't think that a one year offer at half of what a QB makes had anything to do with Brady leaving?
And Brady didn't really want extensions that he asked for every year. He was just kidding with that.
Brady should have finished his career here like he wanted to and only one egotistical pencil pusher kept that from happening.
How's that working out btw? Maybe we should give Bill another 4 losing seasons to prove that it wasn't Brady that brought him that success.

"Thornton is rail thin, and it looks like he won’t be able to add much weight to his frame. Being so light could make Thornton struggle to get off press coverage and have problems with physical cornerbacks. Thornton is also linear as a route runner and has some limitations. As a result of his size and route-running, Thornton might top out as a third and or fourth rotational receiver in the NFL."
Bill don't need no stinkin' scouting reports.

I get that Thornton has limitations, but a guy like DeVanta Smith have some of the same issues. He is rail thin too and should have as much trouble getting off press coverage. But Smith was coached up to overcome those issues and he is consistently a 1,000 yard receiver.

And route running can be taught. Route running is a big problem with most of the Patriots' WRs the last two years. That is on coaching.

I get that Thornton has limitations, but a guy like DeVanta Smith have some of the same issues. He is rail thin too and should have as much trouble getting off press coverage. But Smith was coached up to overcome those issues and he is consistently a 1,000 yard receiver.

And route running can be taught. Route running is a big problem with most of the Patriots' WRs the last two years. That is on coaching.
But Devonta Smith is lightening quick and came into the league with a reputation as an elite route runner already With quick feet and good burst getting out of cuts. Thornton had a reputation more for straight line speed and that seems to be true so far.

I guess why did Meyers develop or Pop Douglas with the same coaches? sometimes players just have it or they dont

There has been 19 WRs drafted under Belichick, 8 were drafted in the 1st 3 rounds. In the same time a team like the Steelers has drafted 26 WRs 15 in the 1st 3 rounds. Simply put other teams spend more and higher draft capital on WRs.

But here's an undisputable fact. There's been 9 WRs that have won SB MVP, Belichick has drafted 2 of them.

There has been 19 WRs drafted under Belichick, 8 were drafted in the 1st 3 rounds. In the same time a team like the Steelers has drafted 26 WRs 15 in the 1st 3 rounds. Simply put other teams spend more and higher draft capital on WRs.

But here's an undisputable fact. There's been 9 WRs that have won SB MVP, Belichick has drafted 2 of them.
One of them got the MVP because they didn't want to give it to Brady for a third time.

Doesn’t seem relevant to boast that Bill drafted Deon Branch 20+ years ago when we haven’t been able to replace Gronkowski production for the last 5 years.

And considering bill tried to trade him before 2018 we should’ve been drafting elite receivers high earlier

Pretty much dead on. I by no means and some sort of route running expert but even just watching the TV broadcasts it is obvious how bad of a route runner Thornton is.

Pretty much dead on. I by no means and some sort of route running expert but even just watching the TV broadcasts it is obvious how bad of a route runner Thornton is.
I saw a CB press him off the line Thornton was already done look elsewhere QB. That said I bet Thornton interviewed well. :rolleyes: Thornton haven't even hit 100yds yet in the season in 9 games pathetic Bust!

Last edited:
I wonder how many of the Patriots failed drafted receivers would have been a success elsewhere. I wonder how many are just because of poor drafting and how many are because they are poorly developed after they are drafted. It is hard to ever know because once a player fails in one place, a team isn't going to invest time to retrain these players. They just end up being crappy players forever with a rare few actually rehabbing their career.

I look at Thornton. He looked really promising early year before he got hurt. And to this day, he still struggles with some of the fundamentals and route running. Maybe if he was coached better, he would be a good player. He has the physical tools to at least be an one dimensional deep threat. He hasn't even become that.

Belichick's requirements for a WR is probably not the best. I think he would pass on a stud receiver who cannot block for a lesser receiver who does everything. He seems to prioritize blocking for a WR more than most.
That 2019 Draft made me sick to my stomach how could you watch A.J. Brown - Deebo Samuel and come away with Harry??:mad::headscratch: You could clearly see on tape that Harry doesn't separate but again he interviewed very well. :rolleyes:

I guess why did Meyers develop or Pop Douglas with the same coaches? sometimes players just have it or they dont
This was another clear example I forgot about in my earlier post, but mentioned it while it was happening a few years ago. How does an undrafted FA from the same class outplay a 1st round pick in Harry? Granted, it’s easier to get touches from the slot, but Harry was barely seeing the field and gadget plays had to be specifically designed just to get the ball in his hands. Harry also had a bad attitude telling a reporter something along the lines of him not feeling any pressure to produce as a 1st round pick.

Regarding Douglas, he was making noise in camp from the start and almost has as many yards in his rookie season than Harry in his entire career. He will of course learn some tricks from Brown that could help him get better. Either they have it or they don’t.

Last edited:
This was another clear example I forgot about in my earlier post, but mentioned it while it was happening a few years ago. How does an undrafted FA from the same class outplay a 1st round pick in Harry? Granted, it’s easier to get touches from the slot, but Harry was barely seeing the field and gadget plays had to be specifically designed just to get the ball in his hands. Harry also had a bad attitude telling a reporter something along the lines of him not feeling any pressure to produce as a 1st round pick.

Regarding Douglas, he was making noise in camp from the start. He will of course learn some tricks from Brown that could help him get better. Either they have it or they don’t.
I think I could pick a Very Good WR Receiver Blind folded in this upcoming Draft. And BB would still miss even using those binoculars. :rolleyes:

Bill Belichick Binoculars GIF by Barstool Sports

Somebody should tell BB he could have had a middle of the road Team with that guy below 326yds last two game.

George Pickens - Pittsburgh Steelers Wide Receiver - ESPN

WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN!:mad:
Why draft a STUD when you can draft a DUD!

That must be the Pats philosophy when it comes to wide receivers.

Bad scouting, bad decision-making, bad draft board stacking. It's all there resulting in a poo poo platter of POOP! :poop:

First N'Keal Harry, then you follow him up with Tyquan Thornton. Bravo BB! Take a bow! :rofl:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back