PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why are people in love with Tebow's "wins"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim Tebow has extreme work ethic and as we've seen throughout his college career and his performance this season, he just has "it," which you can't teach a QB because you either have it or you don't. Obviously there's no consensus regarding the definition of "it," but I like to see it as decisiveness in clutch situations.

Anyway, if Tebow gets to work with a good coaching staff that really wants him to succeed, something that Elway/Xanders/Fox unfortunately probably won't provide him with, I don't see any reason why he can't succeed in this league. He's the kind of guy I just can't bet against because he's never going to give up no matter what and just keep pushing himself.

Last edited:
Is this a serious question??

I'm biased as a Broncos fan but how can you not at least be intrigued by how he wins. Peter King is on record saying this is one of the best sports stories he has ever covered. The wins are dramatic and often in the closing seconds. What makes them even more enjoyable is that the Broncos are a constant underdog and analysts talk all week about how awful Tim Tebow the QB is, yet he continues to win. Taking a 1-4 team to the divisional round of the playoffs is amazing.

I feel a lot of people on these boards felt that same magic when the Pats made their first super bowl run. They should have been destroyed by the Rams in that game but somehow managed to pull out an inspiring win.

As a Broncos fan this has been the most exciting year since their first Super Bowl win. Most games are close and decided in the last quarter. I feel most sports fans, even if not vested in a certain team enjoy watching how athletes perform when they have to make a play. Tebow, more times than not has made those plays. That's why so many people are in love with his "wins."

Last edited:
Denver fans are funny, they consider Elway "G.O.A.T" meaning greatest of all time? Really? Elway? The guy that choked in SBs until he got Terrell Davis? Not sure their "reality" is everyone else's.

I'd take Brady all day long over Elway in his prime.

:D

LOL threads like these from my fellow patriot fans amuse the hell out of me. I remember how back in 2001 all with my friends in boston telling me how tom brady will never throw for more than 1 touchdown in a game and he could never be a franchise qb.

Last edited:
LOL threads like these from my fellow patriot fans amuse the hell out of me. I remember how back in 2001 all with my friends in boston telling me how tom brady will never throw for more than 1 touchdown in a game and he could never be a franchise qb.

That was 10 years ago and I am sure as the season progressed they changed their tune somewhat. I am not saying Tebow is not a decent NFL starter he may be OK but Denver fans inflate QBs to ridiculous levels. I guess thats fine, it is their home team.

Last edited:
Denver fans are funny, they consider Elway "G.O.A.T" meaning greatest of all time? Really? Elway? The guy that choked in SBs until he got Terrell Davis? Not sure their "reality" is everyone else's.

I'd take Brady all day long over Elway in his prime.

:D

Not even going to touch this one. I will just say that both are in the Top 5 all time.

Not even going to touch this one. I will just say that both are in the Top 5 all time.

Brady
Montana
Young
Manning
Elway...(Rodgers is on his heels though and still very young)

Brady
Montana
Young
Manning
Elway...(Rodgers is on his heels though and still very young)

Like you said, there will always be bias when discussing this list.

Brady threw 2 in is 4th and 3 in his 5th game... it's not like Brady was completing less than half his passes and threw picks alot.

Brady threw 2 in is 4th and 3 in his 5th game... it's not like Brady was completing less than half his passes and threw picks alot.

I find it funny that people think a 55% completion percentage and an extra interception is better than a 47% completion percentage and 0 interceptions.

Only 3 extra completions in the last game would have given Tebow a 62% completion percentage:

a)the one short of his defender early in the first quarter that could have been undercut and picked off which was purposely placed short and out of bounds.
b)the one in the endzone, that could have been picked off had it not been as high and with that much zip.
c)the one on 3rd and long that could have been undercut and picked off which was thrown 4 yards short of the guy staring him down.

Any one of those placed in a position where Tebow's receiver could have an easier chance catching it would have also been in a position where the defender could easily get their hands on it. Any one of those ending up in an interception would have cost Denver the win in regular time. Both "a" and "c" appear as wild misses, but if you notice what the defenders are doing, it can just as easily be argued Tebow's paying attention to the coverage.

So why does a guy that avoids the type of pass Ben, who ended up with a 55% completion, threw, almost identical to "c" that got picked off, gets criticized as a passer? You don't think Ben wishes he could have that one back? Take 3 passes away from Ben and he ends up with a 47% completion percentage. If just one of those 3 is that interception, Pittsburg likely wins the game. Ben was on 3rd and 16 backed up in his own territory, which gave Denver the ball at Pittsburg's 18 yard line. That resulted in an easy 3 point FG for the Broncos.

There's a reason why not even NFL agrees with this and despite his 55% completion percentage Ben ended up with a 75.9 QB rating while Tebow ended up with a 125.6 QB rating, despite his 47%. That means Tebow was the better passer and it's always smarter, given the option to avoid that pass that adds that 1 in the interception column. He was the better decision maker as a passer while Ben threw forced an inaccurate pass, thrown off his back foot, that took too long and ended up behind his receiver which allowed it to be undercut and picked off. So a 55% rating gave Pittsburg and Ben 2 extra completions, 1 interception, a shortage yard average per attempt, likely cost them a passing TD, a bad QB passer rating and more importantly, a playoff loss. But they have the "elite" quarterback with the 55% completion percentage!:rolleyes:

That's what accuracy and decision making is all about as a passer and yet, Tebow gets constantly criticized for doing what a smart passer is supposed to do.

Last edited:
its funny you mention that. cuz ive seen denver fans criticize his accuracy at times. but ive always noticed how tim seems to aim his throws away from defenders just so he wont throw an INT. He makes his WR compete for the ball if its close coverage just so he wont throw an int. There are some times where he does throw an inaccurate ball and im like what... but then im not gunna eat his lunch for it in his 2nd year as QB. I dont think anyone understand how bad orton was in denver. his record was like 6-20 something in 2 years.... Denver fans are just happy to be where they are.

Last edited:
I find it funny that people think a 55% completion percentage and an extra interception is better than a 47% completion percentage and 0 interceptions.

Only 3 extra completions in the last game would have given Tebow a 62% completion percentage:

a)the one short of his defender early in the first quarter that could have been undercut and picked off which was purposely placed short and out of bounds.
b)the one in the endzone, that could have been picked off had it not been as high and with that much zip.
c)the one on 3rd and long that could have been undercut and picked off which was thrown 4 yards short of the guy staring him down.

Any one of those placed in a position where Tebow's receiver could have an easier chance catching it would have also been in a position where the defender could easily get their hands on it. Any one of those ending up in an interception would have cost Denver the win in regular time. Both "a" and "c" appear as wild misses, but if you notice what the defenders are doing, it can just as easily be argued Tebow's paying attention to the coverage.

So why does a guy that avoids the type of pass Ben, who ended up with a 55% completion, threw, almost identical to "c" that got picked off, gets criticized as a passer? You don't think Ben wishes he could have that one back? Take 3 passes away from Ben and he ends up with a 47% completion percentage. If just one of those 3 is that interception, Pittsburg likely wins the game. Ben was on 3rd and 16 backed up in his own territory, which gave Denver the ball at Pittsburg's 18 yard line. That resulted in an easy 3 point FG for the Broncos.

There's a reason why not even NFL agrees with this and despite his 55% completion percentage Ben ended up with a 75.9 QB rating while Tebow ended up with a 125.6 QB rating, despite his 47%. That means Tebow was the better passer and it's always smarter, given the option to avoid that pass that adds that 1 in the interception column. He was the better decision maker as a passer while Ben threw forced an inaccurate pass, thrown off his back foot, that took too long and ended up behind his receiver which allowed it to be undercut and picked off. So a 55% rating gave Pittsburg and Ben 2 extra completions, 1 interception, a shortage yard average per attempt, likely cost them a passing TD, a bad QB passer rating and more importantly, a playoff loss. But they have the "elite" quarterback with the 55% completion percentage!:rolleyes:

That's what accuracy and decision making is all about as a passer and yet, Tebow gets constantly criticized for doing what a smart passer is supposed to do.
neither tebow or ben did good, but as a starting qb less than 50% is pitiful. Winning the game doesn't change the fact he's inaccurate

its funny you mention that. cuz ive seen denver fans criticize his accuracy at times. but ive always noticed how tim seems to aim his throws away from defenders just so he wont throw an INT. He makes his WR compete for the ball if its close coverage just so he wont throw an int. There are some times where he does throw an inaccurate ball and im like what... but then im not gunna eat his lunch for it in his 2nd year as QB. I dont think anyone understand how bad orton was in denver. his record was like 6-20 something in 2 years.... Denver fans are just happy to be where they are.
Throwing an incompletion 10 yards over the head or underneath your receiver is not allowing them to "compete". It's a shít throw.

If you want to watch a QB throw so the CB can't "compete". Watch Brady play... Saying Tebow is playing smart is just foolish, he's obviously not able to control his passes.

no its not lol. Broncos coaches stress turnovers more then any coaches in the NFL, simply because of how orton threw so many INTs. to say he isnt purposly trying to aim the throw would be foolish while he has coaches all season long yelling in his ear to not turn it over. its obvious and you prolly havnt watched many bronco games at all beside the pats game if you dont see that.

Last edited:
no its not lol. Broncos coaches stress turnovers more then any coaches in the NFL, simply because of how orton threw so many INTs. to say he isnt purposly trying to aim the throw would be foolish while he has coaches all season long yelling in his ear to not turn it over. its obvious and you prolly havnt watched many bronco games at all beside the pats game if you dont see that.
Bulldust. Every coach in the NFL holds the position that turnovers are critical moments that have a high probability of determining games in the NFL.

Tim Tebow has poor throwing accuracy. Competing 46.5% of your passes in a league where rules have mandated "ease of completion" thus ranking you dead last in the NFL.. c'mon man.

And so you know, I watched a lot of the Broncos game. He's a poor passer.

Last edited:
Bulldust. Every coach in the NFL holds the position that turnovers are critical moments that have a high probability of determining games in the NFL.

Tim Tebow has poor throwing accuracy. Competing 46.5% of your passes in a league where rules have mandated "ease of completion" thus ranking you dead last in the NFL.. c'mon man.

And so you know, I watched a lot of the Broncos game. He's a poor passer.

Orton was close to leading the league in INts. so... it was a huge deal in Denver. you can talk about completion rates. Ben had a 55%? and they lost? Tebow had a 125 QB rating vs Bens 80?. meaning he was the better QB in that game. Pass completion % doesnt really matter when you run a version of the spread option. The decisions the QB makes are what matters.

Last edited:

Every QB in the NFL does that. The good ones still complete >60% of their passes. Tebow is a good player, but he's an absolutely terrible passer. One of the worst in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes