PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's your Mount Rushmore of Boston Sports?

A good discussion after the 4 Tier One players: Russell, Brady, Orr, and Williams.

It is hard not have a 5th: Red Auerbach.

1. TB12
2. Papi
3.Chara

Honestly?

No one talks about Ted Williams, Bill Russell, etc who isn’t 80.

He's either #1 or #2. There's Pedro and Koufax then everyone else. 2 most dominant starting pitchers ever.
A while back, don't remember exactly when, maybe 15 years ago, a panel of baseball historians,sportswriters and Bill James-type geeks determined that the 2 most dominant stretches of starting pitching over 3 consecutive seasons was
1. Pedro can't remember exact years but might even been his last year with Mtl and 1st 2 with Bos
2.Koufax 3 straight years in early- mid 60's
They narrowde down the top 50 starters alltime which included tge old timers like Cy young,Walter johnson,mathewson,paige,feller etc plus all tge modern-era
They were trying to determine every pitchers best 3 straight years and then who had the best.
I recall it wasn't close. Pedro and Koufax were head shoulders better than everyone.
Jives with what my eyes saw

Pedro was the most amazing sports experience I can recall...it was like watching someone pitch on another planet where the laws of physics were different. That one year he finished with an ERA like 2 full runs better than the second place guy. That changeup was just so damn nasty as it broke inward. Most incredible game was when he came in relief without full rest against Cleveland in the playoffs and could only throw his curveball (his third or fourth best pitch) and no-hit them for six/seven innings to win the series. Other worldly stuff. Dude was not human.

I’m 42. Not young certainly, but way too young to have seen Russell or even Bird or even give a rip.

Heck…I’d put Paul P and/or Garnett on my personal Celtics HOF above Russell because, again, I’m not 80.

And if you don’t have TB12 atop your list…I can’t even take you seriously.

Pedro was a personal fav…as was Schilling even though that isn’t PC to say now. Neither were Papi in terms of importance to Boston IMO.

And no…I don’t care about friggin Ted Williams who hit when freaking dinosaurs roamed the earth and then had his creepy kid freeze his darned head.

I’m 42. Not young certainly, but way too young to have seen Russell or even Bird or even give a rip.

Heck…I’d put Paul P and/or Garnett on my personal Celtics HOF above Russell because, again, I’m not 80.

And if you don’t have TB12 atop your list…I can’t even take you seriously.

Pedro was a personal fav…as was Schilling even though that isn’t PC to say now. Neither were Papi in terms of importance to Boston IMO.

And no…I don’t care about friggin Ted Williams who hit when freaking dinosaurs roamed the earth and then had his creepy kid freeze his darned head.
Your obviously don’t get what we are talking about I thought you might be 25. You are 42?

what does what we are discussing have anything to do with having seen a player play

Whatever your age you obviously ate paint chips as a kid

Chara ROTFLMMFAO

Your obviously don’t get what we are talking about I thought you might be 25. You are 42?

what does what we are discussing have anything to do with having seen a player play

Whatever your age you obviously ate paint chips as a kid

Chara ROTFLMMFAO

I’m shocked he doesn’t have Tatum.

i just think williams & russell's greatness transcended their sport.......not only were they arguably the GOATs in their sport, they were GOAT-like humans away from their sport......(williams being the GOAT hitter.....baseball is a team sport that's really based on individual achievement, I don't think rings in baseball matter quite as much as in the other 3 main sports)

brady is the GOAT QB and a winner......but his greatness really stays within his sport for me

we're talking 1A and 1B here, splitting hairs.....just how i see it

to me Ted Williams might be one of the greatest persons of the last 100 years......period......not just athletes
Indeed. We've got banners for the championships. Mount Rushmore is for the greats of all time. Anybody doubting that Williams and Russell belong up there are confused. If there were a Mount Rushmore of American athletes, Russell and Williams would be on it, probably alongside Jim Thorpe and Ali. That Mount Rushmore has more room for debate. With Boston athletes, it's a rhetorical question.

1. TB12
2. Papi
3.Chara

Honestly?

No one talks about Ted Williams, Bill Russell, etc who isn’t 80.
Wrong.

The people who do talk about them have what is called perspective, an appreciation for sports history and accomplishments of prior generations.

If you don't want to invest in educating yourself that's fine. By not doing so limits your ability to have dialogue with those who do.

Without Russ the Celtics are the Knicks.

Cannot have a Mt Bostonmore without Bird. I don't care how it's done, you put him up there even if you need to add a fifth head and a 2nd guy in the same sport. That's Larry fn Bird.
Got my vote but Larry Legend is not above Russ, Tom and Orr. Above Ted or Papi, yes.

Chara. LMAO

This is hard, because I think you have to go one per sport, which means you have a Mt Rushmore of Boston sports without Larry Bird, which seems insane

Williams vs Ortiz is a tough one

How about this, what’s the next four, one per sport, on Rushmore part 2?

If you go Brady/Orr/Russell/Williams for 1

Then it’s…

Bird/Ortiz….who’s the Bruin and the Patriot? Such clear number ones in football and hockey, but after that? Who the heck is the second best patriot of all time? John Hannah? That seems weird

I have had the fortune of seeing Williams, Russell, Orr and Brady in my lifetime.. difficult to say who should be first, what I do know is than any of these 4 could dominate a game when they played.
Combined the teams they represent have won 29 Championships since 1957, I am lucky to have been a fan for all.

Not taking away anything from Bird or Ortiz, but just a view from my world.

How about this, what’s the next four, one per sport, on Rushmore part 2?

If you go Brady/Orr/Russell/Williams for 1

Then it’s…

Bird/Ortiz….who’s the Bruin and the Patriot? Such clear number ones in football and hockey, but after that? Who the heck is the second best patriot of all time? John Hannah? That seems weird

Bourque is the #2 Bruin IMHO.......he was just elite for so long......but there's lots of directions you could go here......

#2 Patriot? I really want to go John Hannah, just because he was that good......if Gronk had a couple more years, he might be a no-brainer, but....

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back