PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Would Trade For Love?

I don't care about late round picks, especially at QB. I don't expect one to make the roster.
Didn't some QB taken at #199 a few years ago make the roster for awhile...can't think of his name right now...I believe he's somewhere in the NFC...

Didn't some QB taken at #199 a few years ago make the roster for awhile...can't think of his name right now...I believe he's somewhere in the NFC...

Sure, we made a great pick 20 years ago. One approach is to believe that Belichick did it again with Stidham, and ignore the QB position. Several posters have embraced this boom or bust approach, even hoping for failure and low draft pick next year.

Sure, we made a great pick 20 years ago. One approach is to believe that Belichick did it again with Stidham, and ignore the QB position. Several posters have embraced this boom or bust approach, even hoping for failure and low draft pick next year.
That's my approach too: Unless Herbert falls to 23, then I don't want to draft a QB in ANY round ...I would simply sign one as a UDFA and add one more veteran street free agent for camp arms, then re-evaluate the position one year from now...

Matt Cassel netted a pretty good return for a 7th rounder as well.

Most late round picks don't make it, regardless of position. I'm fine going QB, because its the one position that truly could pay huge dividends. Maybe its the next Brady, that becomes a star late. Even if its the next Cassel, it got a year of success then flipped for a higher draft pick. If he flops, its like 80% of the other late picks.

Not a 6th or 7th rounder, but the Skins took Cousins in the 4th round of the same draft they took RGIII. Look how that played out. I only mention that in response to saying we already have Stidham.

If a guy has talent, he has talent. QBs slip through the cracks all the time. I see no problem drafting one late and seeing what happens.

Ignoring the QB position and bringing in a turnover machine to this system are two different things

Ignoring the QB position and bringing in a turnover machine to this system are two different things

There are several other QB options in 2nd-4th rounds, same as last year. I understand that folks may not like Love. It doesn't follow that we shouldn't look at Eason, Hurtz, From, Gordon, Morgan or Montez.

IMO, one pick is not too much to invest in a competitor for Stidham. Even if Stidham is a likely starter in 2020 and 2021, we should still be developing a backup.

I like Fromm. I think he's a lot safer than some of the more en vogue options. No, he doesn't have a huge arm, but we don't need one in our offense. No point having a big arm if you can't read a defense or consistently make wrong decisions.

I like Fromm. I think he's a lot safer than some of the more en vogue options. No, he doesn't have a huge arm, but we don't need one in our offense. No point having a big arm if you can't read a defense or consistently make wrong decisions.
Hurts over Fromm for me

If a mid-round talent at QB drops to the 7th round, then sure I guess draft him...But why in the world should we waste a 6th/7th-round asset on a 7th-round/UDFA talent at QB when we can 1)sign him as a UDFA, and 2)use that pick to draft a mid-round talent at another position who is falling into our laps? Same reason for NOT drafting a mid-round talent in the middle rounds...

We need players at multiple positions, and in some cases multiple players at the SAME positions...Using a 3rd/4th-round pick on a Fromm/Hurts/Morgan-type is terrible asset management...IMO...

If a mid-round talent at QB drops to the 7th round, then sure I guess draft him...But why in the world should we waste a 6th/7th-round asset on a 7th-round/UDFA talent at QB when we can 1)sign him as a UDFA, and 2)use that pick to draft a mid-round talent at another position who is falling into our laps? Same reason for NOT drafting a mid-round talent in the middle rounds...

We need players at multiple positions, and in some cases multiple players at the SAME positions...Using a 3rd/4th-round pick on a Fromm/Hurts/Morgan-type is terrible asset management...IMO...
You assume the Pats can sign their target as an UDFA

You assume the Pats can sign their target as an UDFA
If they want him badly enough, then hell yeah get on the phone and start working on him from the beginning on the final round, and don't hang up until he says Yes...

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back