PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be next Head Coach of the Patriots?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who do you expect to be the next Head Coach of the Patriots?

• Bill O'Brien

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eric Bienemy (Washington OC)

• Ben Johnson (Detroit OC)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Todd Monken (Baltimore OC)

• Brian Flores

• Josh McDaniels

• Jim Harbaurgh

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Jerod Mayo

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Mike Vrabel

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Someone else (specify in comments)

• Total voters

n6249c

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Who do you expect to be the next Head Coach of the Patriots? Not who do you want, but who do you expect the Krafts will hire when all the dust settles.

I expect if they can entice Harbaugh he’ll be the safe choice. That will be the decisive consideration.

also, Jonathan will make the selection, Robert will ratify it. So Robert’s individual preferences, be that Mayo or Vrabel or whoever, won’t matter.

Mayo and I’m okay with it.

Mayo and I’m okay with it.
That would be one of the more interesting alternatives to watch unfold. I’d be very curious to watch his approach to building a staff.

Wonder if Vrabel would come back to run the Defense if Mayo gets HC job? would love that combo :)

Jim Harbaugh would be nice, but if I were in his shoes, why would I take an NFL job? He has a base salary of $7.6 million, got another $500k for winning the conference and another $1 million for winning the national championship. He's in a situation where the top recruits are going to want be part of his team, and has far less competition than an NFL team - without having to go through a rebuild.

I would prefer the Pats go outside the organization at both GM and HC. One of those top OCs listed above would be my preference. Keep Mayo as DC for continuity on an already strong unit.

I pick Vrabel because I want someone with HC experience and who knows how it is to play in NE. I think mayo would be my second choice just lacks the experience

Wonder if Vrabel would come back to run the Defense if Mayo gets HC job? would love that combo :)
off top of my head I’m not sure Vrabes would find that attractive. Not out of the question though in my opinion. Similarly I have the impression that Mayo wouldn’t want to stay if Vrabel gets the HC job but I’m not sure of that either. I think it might be very good for him to understudy some HC other than BB. Those will be some interesting dynamics to watch play out.

What worries me about Mayo is simply a lack of experience. HC of the Pats after BB is one of the biggest jobs in football (with Saban's replacement at Alabama not far behind). Is it really the right move to make Mayo HC when he's never been an HC + he's never even formally been a coordinator. This is a huge appointment and needs to be made for football reasons, not based on emotions, friendships or previous promises.

Vrabel or Mayo. I give the edge to Vrabel due to experience.

Jim Harbaugh would be nice, but if I were in his shoes, why would I take an NFL job? He has a base salary of $7.6 million, got another $500k for winning the conference and another $1 million for winning the national championship. He's in a situation where the top recruits are going to want be part of his team, and has far less competition than an NFL team - without having to go through a rebuild.

I would prefer the Pats go outside the organization at both GM and HC. One of those top OCs listed above would be my preference. Keep Mayo as DC for continuity on an already strong unit.
My biggest question about Harbaugh is whether he’d want the job. For exactly the reasons you describe. I think if he were interested, or even receptive, he would be the leading candidate.

I expect if they can entice Harbaugh he’ll be the safe choice. That will be the decisive consideration.

also, Jonathan will make the selection, Robert will ratify it. So Robert’s individual preferences, be that Mayo or Vrabel or whoever, won’t matter.
Why would Jonathan be hiring personnel? I suspect that the new GM will have as much input as Jonathan. At least he should. Would Pioli really come if he couldn't have the major say in who is the HC?

I expect it will be someone with HC experience or Assistant HC at a minimum. I don't know who though.

What worries me about Mayo is simply a lack of experience. HC of the Pats after BB is one of the biggest jobs in football (with Saban's replacement at Alabama not far behind). Is it really the right move to make Mayo HC when he's never been an HC + he's never even formally been a coordinator. This is a huge appointment and needs to be made for football reasons, not based on emotions, friendships or previous promises.
Exactly why I’d like to see him understudy with Vrabel as HC. I’d expect they would relate very well because of their shared background as players. I’m just afraid that nobody has pumped the brakes on Mayo’s ascendency yet, and he is very inexperienced still, with his staff building experience being the boss’s kid.

I dunno about who they will get, but if I am Mike Vrabel or Jim Harbaugh, I really start thinking about Plans A, B, C, and D. Think about it:

Alabama
Michigan if Harbaugh leaves
New England
Seattle
Washington
Tennessee
San Diego Los Angeles
Carolina
Atlanta

Some pretty good franchises there.

Why would Jonathan be hiring personnel? I suspect that the new GM will have as much input as Jonathan. At least he should. Would Pioli really come if he couldn't have the major say in who is the HC?
Jonathan is team president. He certainly will approve the HC hire, and the GM hire.

there’s also some discussion in another thread about how the HC and GM roles will shape up. Jonathan will be the guy who decides that.

Pioli doesn’t matter, he won’t get the chance to come here if Jonathan doesn’t want him here.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back