PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who should have the Patriots taken at 48 instead of Wilson

So now that we have a chance to see Wilson in camp has anyone's opinions changed?

If Wilson was rated as the top free safety in the 2012 draft by the talking heads et al, and he performed as he has been performing in camp, would anyone be concerned that the Pats had blown the pick?

I suspect the undercurrent of discussion here would be that BB had gotten a steal in the 2nd round where Wilson was picked.

Maybe Nate Ebner? :D

Seriously, great question. As far as I can tell, Wilson has lived up to his 2nd round status and then some, playing a variety of roles and looking fluid and comfortable. He's developed a good relationship with Chung and Gregory, and his versatility and experience seem to be a big plus. I haven't heard any reports suggesting that Mark Barron or Harrison Smith are setting the world on fire so far. I still lament passing on Lavonte David, and all reports out of Tampa Bay are that he has looked outstanding, but I'm very content with the Wilson pick at this extremely early juncture.

konz, reyes, or worthy

you can never have too many of these trench guys.

konz would have been the best long term choice as
solder
mankins
konz
cannon
vollmer

seems excellent for the longer term. and even if vollmers injuries eventually get the best of him, move cannon to RT, konz to RG and inset connolly at C

I agree. You can never have enough big guys in the trenches. I think Konz would have slid in perfectly in our O line system.

Jerel Worthy wouldve been a good pick.

I predict Worthy will have an outstanding rookie season. He's far stouter at the point of attack than many realize who think he can't play a 5 technique. And he's far more disruptive than anyone we've got on the interior D line when it comes to obvious pass situations, including Vince.

FWIW, from NFL.com:

The Green Bay Packers struggled to get to the quarterback last season, finishing dead last in sack percentage. The team drafted defensive linemen Jerel Worthy and Mike Daniels in the first four rounds of the 2012 NFL Draft, hoping they could provide an inside pass rush for the team. Other players, like Phillip Merling, Daniel Muir, Mike Neal and Anthony Hargrove are being counted on as well.

The group has been quiet so far. One scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Worthy hasn't been able to make plays with his quickness.

"He's rushing too much down the middle," the scout said of the second-round draft pick. "He has to get to an edge. He gets two or three steps and shuts down. Right now he's an average pass rusher. At best."

Worthy has lined up at right tackle alongside B.J. Raji in the nickel and dime defenses during training camp. Raji is easily the Packers' best inside rusher. He could use Worthy's help.

Green Bay Packers wait for pass rushers to break out - NFL.com

It's early. But it could well be that UDFA DT Marcus Forston is as effective or more effective than Worthy as a disruptive interior pass rusher.

Rock THAT!! :rocker:

As you say: it's early. But I was NOT a fan of Worthy:

Fanatical FootBall Fiend 2012 NFL Draft Scouting Reports ~ Defensive Tackles

I'm just not feeling the Core Strength or Fluidity. :nooo:

Going into their junior years Worthy and Forston - both about 6'3" 310# - were both regarded as potential 1st round picks with disruptive and penetrating ability. Worthy was erratic and slipped to a mid 2nd round pick. Forston was injured and slipped to a UDFA. But talent-wise they aren't that far apart.

BB has a history of picking up guys whose performance and/or workout numbers were slowed by injuries. Not all work out, but we've had some nice finds. Chandler Jones may be the latest one. It's not clear if Forston will make the squad or not, but he's gotten some nice reports from training camp and attracted some media notice:

ProFootballWeekly.com - Francis, Forston playing well in Pats camp

That's apparently as much if not more than Worthy has done.

Where is Fortson listed at 6'3"? Everywhere I've looked, he's listed from 6'1" to 6'1-1/2",
though he & Worthy are both listed with 33" arms.

He's a PS candidate at this point; his standing could change in the next 10 days, of course,
depending on performance & injuries. If there's a UDFA DLman worthy of the 53, it might
be Justin Francis, who should offer better pass-rushing potential to help replace that lost
because of Dane Fletcher's IR.

From what I've seen in camp and read about camp, the pick seems like a good one:
Draft Review – New England Patriots | The Scouts Notebook

Belichick shocked a lot of people by taking S Tavon Wilson in the 2nd round. He took some heat for that pick. I’ll defend him. I liked Wilson as a Safety. I watched him as a CB and he was mediocre. I watched one game this year where he played S and was really impressed. I watched some 2010 tape of him at S and was impressed by that as well.

To me, Wilson is a natural Safety. He has solid cover skills. He is a good run defender. When he reads run, Wilson comes up quickly and aggressively. About a decade ago Belichick took another CB from Illinois and put him at FS. That was Eugene Wilson. The results were pretty good. Wilson won 2 Super Bowls as the starting FS for the Pats and was part of the 2007 team as well.

Tonight will be a nice glimpse as he should start next to Gregory.

From what I've seen in camp and read about camp, the pick seems like a good one:
Draft Review – New England Patriots | The Scouts Notebook

Tonight will be a nice glimpse as he should start next to Gregory.

Didn't notice him all that much - not sure whether that's a good or bad thing. Was worried by the way Josh Freeman picked our secondary apart on that first drive however. Our secondary will still be a work in progress I thinks.

Wilson INT.

Wilson 1-0 Fred.

STATS TACK SOLO AST SACK STF STFYDS FF KB INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD
This Game 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
*Splits are updated nightly.Complete Splits »

Damn, we could have had Jerel Worthy.

Two of the 2nd round picks from 2011 have already been cut by their teams: Indianapolis OL Ben Ijalana (Villanova, #49 overall) and Philadelphia S Jaiquawn Jarrett (Temple, #54 overall):

Jaiquawn Jarrett, Eagles' 2011 second-rounder, cut - NFL.com

Even those here in Philly, where Jarrett played at Temple, thought that he was over-drafted by prob a full round. Still kinda surprising; you'd think that he could at least play some STs & hit people. He wasn't Reid's first top-100 mistake, and likely won't be the last one either.

Wow! Just Wow! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm glad I did not offer an opinion in this thread! :)

This will have to be analyzed at the end of the season. But in his most recent game, Worthy had a monster game. He is inconsistent, which is the main reason he didn't go in the first round.

But Jerel Worthy starred at defensive end for the Packers in Green Bay’s 23-10 victory over the Bears on Thursday night. The rookie lineman turned in a great performance, racking up three tackles, a sack for four yards, two tackles for loss and a quarterback hit. Worthy was a major part of a Packer defense that kept Chicago quarterback Jay Cutler uncomfortable all night

We didn't need another DT.

I'm yet to be convinced about Mr. Wilson esq, but teams don't seem to be picking on him when he's on the field.....

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back