Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
When we pick up the 5th year option, we'll be obligated to pay Cooks a little under $10M the next two years.

My proposal is to rip it up and sign him to a new 4 year, $44M contract.

For the Patriots it locks in a top WR at $11M a year for the rest (or most) of Brady's career. It's a good amount of money but far below Antonio Brown's 4/68 and will look like a bargain in years 3 & 4.

For Cooks, it's basically a 2 year extension for $34M as we can keep him for 2/10 if we choose. As he's 23, he also gets UFA right in the prime of his career for another huge deal.

Of course, assume guarantees/etc to be about even for both sides, I get that things can go wrong there but this concept seem to be a win/win.

When we pick up the 5th year option, we'll be obligated to pay Cooks a little under $10M the next two years.

For the Patriots it locks in a top WR at $11M a year for the rest (or most) of Brady's career. It's a good amount of money but far below Antonio Brown's 4/68 and will look like a bargain in years 3 & 4.

For Cooks, it's basically a 2 year extension for $34M as we can keep him for 2/10 if we choose. As he's 23, he also gets UFA right in the prime of his career for another huge deal.

Of course, assume guarantees/etc to be about even for both sides, I get that things can go wrong there but this concept seem to be a win/win.
No. see what he does this year before handing him 2 extra years at 17 mill.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Cooks is going to be worth the extra investment. Give him some respect and make him a happy Patriot. Very little to lose here and quite a bit to gain.

Preposterous. Only a few receivers are even able to adapt to the Patriots offense, much less excel in it. First, see if he is one of that group.

The Patriots don't take long-term huge contracts on players who haven't played in their system, which is one of the reasons they're so successful.

Preposterous. Only a few receivers are even able to adapt to the Patriots offense, much less excel in it. First, see if he is one of that group.

The Patriots don't take long-term huge contracts on players who haven't played in their system, which is one of the reasons they're so successful.
There's risk but if we let him play it out, he's likely a two year player here as he'll be getting huge 5 year offers in 2 years. 4/44 will likely look like a bargain - with some risk.

I'm assuming you do this after we get rid of Butler, or else you'll really start a **** storm.

I have seen this line of thinking with Garoppolo and Butler and now Cooks. And it just doesn't work for the way the Patriots do business.

The Patriots are not going to look at the past and say "we underpaid you last year so we will overpay you next year." Yes, the average value of your proposed deal is a reasonable $11M per year, but it's only that low because 2017 is so low. They are not going to say "we are underpaying you in 2017, so we will overpay you in 2019 and 2020."

What you are really suggesting, by your own admission, is adding 2 years and $34M to what they already have him at. That would be Antonio Brown money, and NE won't do that.

What you are really suggesting, by your own admission, is adding 2 years and $34M to what they already have him at which is Antonio Brown money, and NE won't do that.
What I am doing is trying to make him a 4 year player not a 2 player for us. Drop it to 4/40 if you like (that was my original thought). We'd pay about market value now but the last two years would be huge wins for us (like the Gronk deal to some extent - and like the Hernandez deal should have been).

this is dumb. you would like to guarantee him today 17m in years 3 and 4.
When we can have him for 10m over next two years, and then franchise him for year 3 if he really is a 17m player.

17m/year for two extra years is not a 'huge win for us' like the gronk deal was. Offerring him an extra 2 years/18m would be a gronk-like offer

What I am doing is trying to make him a 4 year player not a 2 player for us. Drop it to 4/40 if you like (that was my original thought). We'd pay about market value now but the last two years would be huge wins for us (like the Gronk deal to some extent - and like the Hernandez deal should have been).
I could see them doing 4/$32M, which is basically what they have right now plus 2 more year for $22M total.

Cooks is by far the most talented WR to ever come through the patriots system since randy moss. He is a hard worker and student of the game. He will be fine

I could see them doing 4/$32M, which is basically what they have right now plus 2 more year for $22M total.
Thanks for at least playing along. I just want Brady to have Cooks the rest of his (Brady's) career. If Cooks plays out the next two, he's likely gone.

As for franchising him, the WR # is over $15M this year. It'll be 18M or so in 2 years.

Brandin because his name is not spelled right in the contract.

unless Cooks is a top 5 WR, in 3 years 15-17M/yr will NOT be a good deal, even w/ current cap trends

unless Cooks is a top 5 WR, in 3 years 15-17M/yr will NOT be a good deal, even w/ current cap trends
I was assuming the cap hits would be fairly even do in years 3 & 4 his cap hit would be around $11M which will look like a bargain.

meanwhile in reality...

What about that Gilmore dude?

I'm thorn, cause I think paying lots for receivers is bad business in general (What was the last time the Pats spent more than 10M in a single WR ?) but, with the cap going up, giving Brady someone good for this end could be a great idea indeed.

In the end, I'd rather wait and see how he performs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down