PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is the OT you want the Pats to take?

John Theus played a lot for Georgia so has plenty of experience in the SEC, has positional versatility, has the desirable length. What do you guys think of him and what round(s) do you think he gets picked?

He's a 6th-rounder, though if we haven't yet drafted an OT by the late-4th/early 5th rounds, then I would
consider him there (if we acquire a pick in that range) if everybody whom I like better than him are gone.
He needs to get much stronger without losing his flexibility (19 reps at 225) if he hopes to make it as a
backup Swing Tackle.

LeRaven Clark has 36.25" arms and 10.8" hands? (according to walterfootball) That's frigging tree branch arms and polar bear mitts. If he could put it all together, he could be a beast. Measurables aside, the scouts are saying he won't play right away. I dunno, depends on what scout you talk to right?

I remember when Vollmer was drafted and people threw up their hands. But he was a monster at the time 6'8" 325 pounds. One of the best 2nd round selections, we've made. If he weren't getting old and injured, we wouldn't be in the position of needing to find a replacement, but those are big shoes to fill.

LeRaven Clark has 36.25" arms and 10.8" hands? (according to walterfootball) That's frigging tree branch arms and polar bear mitts. If he could put it all together, he could be a beast. Measurables aside, the scouts are saying he won't play right away. I dunno, depends on what scout you talk to right?

I remember when Vollmer was drafted and people threw up their hands. But he was a monster at the time 6'8" 325 pounds. One of the best 2nd round selections, we've made. If he weren't getting old and injured, we wouldn't be in the position of needing to find a replacement, but those are big shoes to fill.

We've been talking about him for quite a while, but you're right, those arms and hands can't be coached. The reason Clark is unlikely to start straight away is that he comes from an air raid offense, so is always in a two point stance and almost always steps back from the stance. He'll need time to learn to play in a pro style offense.

Clark would have the worst technique of any offensive linemen we've drafted in the last 15 years. He would also likely have the highest upside of anyone other than Vollmer, who when healthy was an absolute monster. Might as well shoot for the stars.

Ideally Solder and Vollmer stay healthy this year and the 3rd OT doesn't need to pay at all. Generally I believe you go for the player you think will be the best in the end. Clark might have the most upside of any OT the Pats can realistically get so i have no issue drafting him.

The 3 most important spots besides QB are OT, CB and DL pass rusher (can be a DE or DT as long as they can get consistent pressure)

So if you think you have any of those spots at a high level as options near you it should not be a hard choice. Clark has been in a lot of my Mocks and ideally I want the Pats to get either him or Shon Coleman who i also like. If both are available i would not be opposed to taking both to be honest haha :)

Unless Jason Spriggs (a very, very unlikely possibility), or one of the top-32 DLmen become available at 60, then my #1 target regardless of position is TheRaven Clark. If he were the pick, then the best-case scenario for him here is that both Solder & Vollmer play every meaningful snap while he learns the craft of NFL OT.
Adrian Waddle would be the #3 OT (if he's even up to the task) in the meantime.

I have yet to be convinced that any of Jerald Hawkins, Shon Coleman, Germain Ifedi, Kyle Murphy, Vadal Alexander or Spencer Drango can have a future as a Brady-caliber LT.
Hey, maybe Clark doesn't either, but he has by far the best chance to become one.
Joe Haeg also has a chance to become a LT for the NEP, but he won't be ready next season either, but for a different reason: he's just not strong enough now, either with his arms or at his base. And because his ceiling is lower that Clark's, I wouldn't use 60/61 on him; I'd wait until 91/96, but if Willie Beavers is also available I'd probably take him there instead.

So, to make a long story longer: Spriggs/Clark at 60/61 or if already gone Beavers/Haeg at 91/96.

Last edited:
Shon coleman? Hasn't been able to work out but what do you think?

InterestING that waddle and leraven clark went to same school. Think Fleming has been a disaster. Cannon only slightly less so. Not sure why they re signed him.

Many mocks have 5 offensive tackles going in the first round and as many as nine gone by #60. No way will bb reach for an ot.

Many mocks have 5 offensive tackles going in the first round and as many as nine gone by #60. No way will bb reach for an ot.

If you look at the Wiki articles for drafts, it has a section at the bottom that shows how many of each position were drafted per round. Here is last year, for a general comparison:

2015 NFL draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: 9 seems just about right based on last year. Good stuff.

Posted this in the contact thread but thought I'd post it here too. Dante has spoken to this guy, David Hedelin of Purdue and we're working him out too.

Impressive highlight tape. Bear in mind, he's 6'4" and 298lbs so I'm thinking OG or RT only.

Never heard of him, and neither has CBS/NFL DraftScout.

Bill really, really better not waste a draft pick on him.

Never heard of him, and neither has CBS/NFL DraftScout.

Bill really, really better not waste a draft pick on him.

He's probably a UDFA, but when you've got 7 picks in the 6th/7th, most of those picks will likely end up a 'waste'. I'm fine with him there.

He's been worked out by at least one other team so he's worth some consideration as a late rounder/UDFA. CBS are not the be all and end all of draft expertise.

Stork is, as of now, indeed iffy.

A decent/good 2014 was followed by a not-so-decent/good 2015, due to his concussion, a regression,
or as I suspect a combination of both. His "performance" at Denver in the AFCC was embarrassing.

I said it when it happened, that if Bill were looking for a Center with the 5th pick of the 4th round in
the 2014 draft, then he should've taken the stronger, healthier, more athletic Russell Jethro Bodine,
who went to Cincinatti 6 picks later.

I personally would rather see the more athletic Shaq Mason tried at Center, because I believe that he's
too small & short to be productive at either Guard position, and the bigger (but not a useless slob like Cannon, Fleming and Jackson) Stork tried at RG where his susceptibility to concussions would be somewhat mitigated.
Your analysis of the Pats offensive linemen is ridiculous. Solder and Vollmer when healthy, are the best combo pair of tackles in the league. Individually there are better LOTs, but those players have little accompaniment.

Stork and Mason will star in the interior and Cooper if healthy will contribute too. Waddle and Tre Jackson make fine backups and Cannon is serviceable as a spare RT. Fleming should be converted to G. But we have serviceable UDFA Gs, so he has stayed at tackle. Wenddle is a functional C/G if healthy.

This line despite all the injuries and lack of skilled RBs, still went 12-4.

A month or so ago, many thought that the #1 draft priority was an OT for 2017. The idea was earlier was better, and that we might need to trade up in the 2nd, using a 3rd.

That's because they always want to fight the last war. Health is all that is needed.

Nope wait till 2017. Offensive tackles merit drafting in the first, or early second at the latest, in good years. Ochmad wants to look elsewhere and I agree.

That's because they always want to fight the last war. Health is all that is needed.

Nope wait till 2017. Offensive tackles merit drafting in the first, or early second at the latest, in good years. Ochmad wants to look elsewhere and I agree.

I agree on LT. Not sure I do on RT.

Your analysis of the Pats offensive linemen is ridiculous. Solder and Vollmer when healthy, are the best combo pair of tackles in the league. Individually there are better LOTs, but those players have little accompaniment.

Stork and Mason will star in the interior and Cooper if healthy will contribute too. Waddle and Tre Jackson make fine backups and Cannon is serviceable as a spare RT. Fleming should be converted to G. But we have serviceable UDFA Gs, so he has stayed at tackle. Wenddle is a functional C/G if healthy.

Man I am sorry, but cannon and waddle are jag and fleming plays too high to convert to og.

I think mason is a future star, if his pass blocking continues to improve. Stork could also be special if he is not concussed. Cooper has tons of physical skills and could be a future all pro, but can he stay healthy?

Man I am sorry, but cannon and waddle are jag and fleming plays too high to convert to og.

I think mason is a future star, if his pass blocking continues to improve. Stork could also be special if he is not concussed. Cooper has tons of physical skills and could be a future all pro, but can he stay healthy?

I agree, and I project them as starters.
There is nothing wrong with a Jag as a backup. Only foolish people think you can stockpile Probowlers at reserve positions. The Cap doesn't allow it.

Your optimism of the Pats offensive linemen is ridiculous.

Stork & Vollmer, IF healthy, are one of the better pairs of OTs, but certainly not the best. And I highly doubt that they will play effective 32 man-games in one season here again.

Stork & Mason will "star" in the interior? Let's put the brakes on that prediction right now.
I like Mason's athleticism, but it remains to be seen if his lack of height & reach will force him from LG
to Center, where he was worked-out by Dante during his pro day and where I feel that he could become
a Pro Bowl candidate.
Stork regressed last season, perhaps due to a possible concussion, perhaps not. Predicting him to "star" in the interior has no basis in fact. His best position here might be RG as a way to avoid more injuries.

Waddle & Jackson are "fine" backups because…why? Certainly not because of what they did last season,
which wasn't too much, at all.

The Patriots went 12-4 last season in spite of the OL, not because of it.

I think it will be hard for the team to find someone who can come in and make immediate contributions at tackle; however, there might be some solid value left toward the end of the third round or in the first half of the third day. Someone like Kyle Murphy could make sense. While he's not great from an athletic or length standpoint, he has experience on both sides of the line and as a jumbo (third) lineman. He doesn't always make it look pretty, but he can get the job done often enough to consider in the third or fourth.

Two guys from smaller schools, Joe Haeg and Willie Beavers, also look athletic enough to consider around the fourth round if possible. Spencer Drango has kind of a weird body for a tackle, but reminds me a little bit of Logan Mankins and could move inside to guard if he doesn't succeed outside; it looks like he's also considered more of a fourth-round pick. I like Cole Toner from Harvard in the same fourth/fifth range.

As an outside-the-box option, how about Max Tuerk from Southern California? Very tall and very athletic center who started five games at left tackle, one at right tackle, and fourteen at left guard in addition to center duties. His size might make him someone to consider for a conversion back outside, and his recent ACL tear could cause him to be available later than his talent would warrant.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back