PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is the OT you want the Pats to take?

Hawkins tape versus Alabama (probably the most technically sound defensive line in college football) left a lot to be desired. Maybe you are correct, however, that it's a strength issue. I won't dismiss him entirely out of hand, but I'm still somewhat skeptical. Guess it's a good thing that ultimately my opinions don't matter. :)

Good discussion, though, and I appreciate all the resources on your site, midwestpatsfan. You rock.

BTW: Jerald Hawkins vs Alabama (2015) | Draft Breakdown

I disagree with this in the case of Hawkins. I don't see it as an athletic issue, but more of a strength issue. He gets off balance because he lunges at defenders trying to create power.
I agree with you regarding Hawkins. I was actually referring to the slob Tre Jackson, of whom Manx
wasn't a big fan either.

Clark. Spriggs will go out of range, unfortunately. Clark is the best fit and may have the highest upside. He's my choice right now at 60.

Plus he can have time to groom his skills behind Vollmer. The biggest knock on Clark is that he's raw and needs work. He should be given time to learn in this offense and his ceiling is off the charts.

Jason Spriggs, Indiana or Taylor Decker, Ohio State. Unfortunately I don't think we're within striking distance of either guy. :(

I wasnt into college ball anywhere near like previous years but I am sold on Murphy. Reminds me of Solder but I like his college tape more.

I wasnt into college ball anywhere near like previous years but I am sold on Murphy. Reminds me of Solder but I like his college tape more.

I really like his teammate Garnett, but Murphy has a chance to be a solid player. He's also far more likely to be still available when we have our cluster of picks in the 3rd. Good call. :)

I'd like Murphy more if he had performed a complete workout at either the combine or at Stanford's
pro day, because as of now I don't know if he's strictly a RT or if he can ass-ume Swing Tackle duties
until a starting spot becomes open.

I'd like Murphy more if he had performed a complete workout at either the combine or at Stanford's
pro day, because as of now I don't know if he's strictly a RT or if he can ass-ume Swing Tackle duties
until a starting spot becomes open.

I must admit I wasn't overly impressed with Murphy. 3rd/4th round backup with some potential to develop over time.

I will always trust Scar's evaluations above my own (he deserves to be in the hall of fame), but man I just don't grade Hawkins well when I watch him play. Someone talk me into liking him.

Just from a numbers standpoint, Hawkins doesn't seem to have much in the way of Leg power (23 in vertical, 8'04" broadjump). Now, I don't know a lot about the particulars of scouting O-linemen , but I would think that an o-lineman has to have good leg strength otherwise he can't stand up to a bull rush.. Either he'll get ploughed over or ploughed back into the QB..

Just from a numbers standpoint, Hawkins doesn't seem to have much in the way of Leg power (23 in vertical, 8'04" broadjump). Now, I don't know a lot about the particulars of scouting O-linemen , but I would think that an o-lineman has to have good leg strength otherwise he can't stand up to a bull rush.. Either he'll get ploughed over or ploughed back into the QB..

Dante worked out Cameron Fleming and Bryan Stork and had some involvement in the drafting of Tre Jackson. It doesn't seem like it's that much of a priority for him. Which is an interesting change because prior to those three, most OL we drafted had 30" plus vertical jumps.

Dante worked out Cameron Fleming and Bryan Stork and had some involvement in the drafting of Tre Jackson. It doesn't seem like it's that much of a priority for him. Which is an interesting change because prior to those three, most OL we drafted had 30" plus vertical jumps.
Pretty sure there were plenty of others who didn't have that 30" vertical that they drafted previously. They just didn't use a 1st/2nd round pick on them.. For instance, Koppen didn't have a 30. Halapio didn't. Ted Larsen didn't.

In fact, looking at the picks, it seems that Cam Fleming and Corey Hilliard (2007 - 6th rnd) are the only OTs who didn't have a 30 in Vertical. And that is going back to 2002. Granted, I can't find information on George Bussey (2009-5th round pick), Matt Light, and Kenyatta Jones. But it is an interesting tidbit. to consider..

Pretty sure there were plenty of others who didn't have that 30" vertical that they drafted previously. They just didn't use a 1st/2nd round pick on them.. For instance, Koppen didn't have a 30. Halapio didn't. Ted Larsen didn't.

In fact, looking at the picks, it seems that Cam Fleming and Corey Hilliard (2007 - 6th rnd) are the only OTs who didn't have a 30 in Vertical. And that is going back to 2002. Granted, I can't find information on George Bussey (2009-5th round pick), Matt Light, and Kenyatta Jones. But it is an interesting tidbit. to consider..

I was thinking more in terms of premier picks - i.e. Potential starters. And it wasn't exclusively so, but it was a notable pattern. All I'm saying, is that of late, leg explosion seems to be less of a priority when you factor in Fleming, Stork and Jackson.

Considering the complete suckiness of Fleming and Jackson, and the iffyness of Stork, it should be obvious even to Bill that leg explosion should be made a priority once again.

Considering the complete suckiness of Fleming and Jackson, and the iffyness of Stork, it should be obvious even to Bill that leg explosion should be made a priority once again.

Iffyness of Stork? You just keep showing your ridiculousness..

It's not surprising that Fleming, Jackson, Mason, and Stork are not world beaters. They were drafted
with the #140, #111, #131, and #105 picks. Belichick prefers to use his earlier picks on his lowly ranked
binkies like Wilson, Richards, and Grissom. I will be pleasantly surprised if he uses the 60th or 61st
pick on the much needed offensive tackle.

It's not surprising that Fleming, Jackson, Mason, and Stork are not world beaters. They were drafted
with the #140, #111, #131, and #105 picks. Belichick prefers to use his earlier picks on his lowly ranked
binkies like Wilson, Richards, and Grissom. I will be pleasantly surprised if he uses the 60th or 61st
pick on the much needed offensive tackle.

Please remind us when Solder and Vollmer were drafted. Were they fourth and fifth round picks? Of course not. If Belichick sees a critical need at OT, he will draft an OT early. He and Scar may like their backups, even if we don't (Waddle, Cannon, Fleming).

Please remind us when Solder and Vollmer were drafted. Were they fourth and fifth round picks? Of course not. If Belichick sees a critical need at OT, he will draft an OT early. He and Scar may like their backups, even if we don't (Waddle, Cannon, Fleming).

If I remember correctly solder was considered the most athletic tackle in his draft class.

Vollmer was ranked as a fifth rounder, but we took him in the second because he was considered a perfect fit for a zone blocking scheme like ours.

In this draft spriggs is the perfect zone blocking offensive tackle.

Clark is the second best fit for us,

Haeg is the developmental fit,

With San Diego, Seattle and several other teams needing an offensive tackle, it is doubtful spriggs or Clark makes it to #60.

Should be an interesting draft full of obstacles for bb.

Iffyness of Stork? You just keep showing your ridiculousness..
Stork is, as of now, indeed iffy.

A decent/good 2014 was followed by a not-so-decent/good 2015, due to his concussion, a regression,
or as I suspect a combination of both. His "performance" at Denver in the AFCC was embarrassing.

I said it when it happened, that if Bill were looking for a Center with the 5th pick of the 4th round in
the 2014 draft, then he should've taken the stronger, healthier, more athletic Russell Jethro Bodine,
who went to Cincinatti 6 picks later.

I personally would rather see the more athletic Shaq Mason tried at Center, because I believe that he's
too small & short to be productive at either Guard position, and the bigger (but not a useless slob like Cannon, Fleming and Jackson) Stork tried at RG where his susceptibility to concussions would be somewhat mitigated.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back