PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is the OT you want the Pats to take?

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
With the addition of the Athletic Jon Cooper and the Pats already having the Athletic Shaq Mason, is there an OT who is also considered to be athletic that could be waiting for the Pats in the 2nd round? Someone who could eventually replace Vollmer?

Jason Spriggs out of Indiana maybe?

With the addition of the Athletic Jon Cooper and the Pats already having the Athletic Shaq Mason, is there an OT who is also considered to be athletic that could be waiting for the Pats in the 2nd round? Someone who could eventually replace Vollmer?

Jason Spriggs out of Indiana maybe?

They'll need to trade up for him.

An OT is definitely on the cards. Dante went to the LSU pro day to take a look at the LSU pair. Shon Coleman is an intriguing potential faller because he won't workout pre draft and has terrific size and length. Le'Raven Clark has freakish length and should be there in the 2nd or 3rd round. Kyle Murphy is from Stanford and I wouldn't bet against them drafting anyone from Stanford. So I think an OT is a very strong possibility.

One other name is Harvard's Cole Toner. They've spoken to him a couple of times. Don't know if he's a plug and play RT but he's supposedly someone who could back up every position on the OL.

They'll need to trade up for him.

An OT is definitely on the cards. Dante went to the LSU pro day to take a look at the LSU pair. Shon Coleman is an intriguing potential faller because he won't workout pre draft and has terrific size and length. Le'Raven Clark has freakish length and should be there in the 2nd or 3rd round. Kyle Murphy is from Stanford and I wouldn't bet against them drafting anyone from Stanford. So I think an OT is a very strong possibility.

One other name is Harvard's Cole Toner. They've spoken to him a couple of times. Don't know if he's a plug and play RT but he's supposedly someone who could back up every position on the OL.

I'm not expecting them to draft someone who could start this September at RT.. But someone who could make it so that Vollmer could retire when his contract was up and the Pats would feel comfortable of him replacing Vollmer.

I went looking at players who had good leg strength (as shown by Broad jump and vertical) and found that very few of the O-linemen out of the ones beg to go high in the draft had a vertical eclipsing 30 inches.

What's your take on Brandon Shell out of South Carolina?

I'm not expecting them to draft someone who could start this September at RT.. But someone who could make it so that Vollmer could retire when his contract was up and the Pats would feel comfortable of him replacing Vollmer.

I went looking at players who had good leg strength (as shown by Broad jump and vertical) and found that very few of the O-linemen out of the ones beg to go high in the draft had a vertical eclipsing 30 inches.

What's your take on Brandon Shell out of South Carolina?

He's one I've identified as a late round possibility. I didn't think his tape was all that impressive though. But as one of those many 6th round picks and a developmental prospects, maybe.

My guess is that we're looking at a 2nd or 3rd round guy just going by their pre-draft activity: Spriggs, Murphy, Hawkins, Haeg (most of these are likely third round guys). They did meet with Shell at the combine too though.

Really there are only three tackles I see that fit our zone blocking scheme. Spriggs, Clark and haeg.

Spriggs could be ready to start as early as mid season 2016. He should be exactly what the doctor ordered for us. He is the perfect pick for us.

Clark could be ready as a pass blocker by mid season 2016 as well, but as a run blocker, he will need a year or more.

Haeg could be ready by the end of 2016, but his base is so narrow, he probably needs a year to add sand to those pants. If he can add base weight, he could be a mini solder. If not then unemployed.?

Clark. Spriggs will go out of range, unfortunately. Clark is the best fit and may have the highest upside. He's my choice right now at 60.

Clark. Spriggs will go out of range, unfortunately. Clark is the best fit and may have the highest upside. He's my choice right now at 60.

Can Clark adjust to playing with his hand in the dirt? Can Clark learn to run block?

At the end of the day, Clark's feet in pass protection are nfl caliber, but if he can not run block, he does us no good.

Can Clark adjust to playing with his hand in the dirt? Can Clark learn to run block?

At the end of the day, Clark's feet in pass protection are nfl caliber, but if he can not run block, he does us no good.

Hopefully he'll have a year under Dante before that's put to the test.

Does anyone know what type of offense Vollmer played under. Was it an Air Raid?

Man, I have scoured this draft class for an OT that I can see as a realistic option for the Patriots. To date, I have found anyone I really love as far as where they will be drafted and their talent/rediness to contribute. Here are some guys that might be options thought:

Spriggs-Best fit IMO, but will be gone

Clark-has been talked about a lot here. I see him as a Day 3 guy but get that he is a physical freak with LT potential. A 2nd round pick on him would be a tough pill for me to swallow.

Ifedi-Very similar to Clark. Physical attributes are there, but technique needs work. Will go higher than I would want to pick him probably

Kyle Murphy-Scheme fit and size fit. Didn't test as well as I expected. Might play better in a unit rather than test well as an individual.

Jerald Hawkins-Good movement skills and size. Lacks power and needs time to develop strength

Joe Haeg- A guy I am targeting with the Pats comp pick. Good movement skills. Needs to add weight and strength. Try hard guy with lots of experience at a winning program, albeit a small school.

Brandon Shell: Good size, not as athletic as typical Patriots tackles. Reminds me of Cameron Flemming. 3rd day pick

Late round flyers:

Pearce Slater-San Diego St.
Stephane Nembot-Colorado
Dominique Robertson-West Georgia (very intrigued by him)
Tyler Johnstone-Oregon
Keith Lumpkin-Rutgers

Really there are only three tackles I see that fit our zone blocking scheme. Spriggs, Clark and haeg.

Spriggs could be ready to start as early as mid season 2016. He should be exactly what the doctor ordered for us. He is the perfect pick for us.

Clark could be ready as a pass blocker by mid season 2016 as well, but as a run blocker, he will need a year or more.

Haeg could be ready by the end of 2016, but his base is so narrow, he probably needs a year to add sand to those pants. If he can add base weight, he could be a mini solder. If not then unemployed.?

Great list. Those are the 3 I'm looking at. As Manxman pointed out, will prob have to trade up
for Spriggs. I would move 61 and 91 to get him. Stand pat and Haeg or Clark.

I think we missed our window on wr's to draft. The last couple of years were stacked. We passed. This year the pool is smaller. Doubt we draft a lesser prospect.

There aren't many roster spots available. I'd like to sign a vet cb and see if Arian Foster is healthy this summer. I think a good dt prospect slips to 60. And, I'd take a rb at 96. Move up for Spriggs. Then, swing for the fences with all of those late picks.

Dante went to the LSU pro day. The last four OL we drafted/signed (Stork, Jackson, Mason, Andrews) were all linked to Dante or BB ar pro days/workouts. I would think Jerald Hawkins is the current favourite - of course there's still a way to go.

Dante went to the LSU pro day. The last four OL we drafted/signed (Stork, Jackson, Mason, Andrews) were all linked to Dante or BB ar pro days/workouts. I would think Jerald Hawkins is the current favourite - of course there's still a way to go.

I will always trust Scar's evaluations above my own (he deserves to be in the hall of fame), but man I just don't grade Hawkins well when I watch him play. Someone talk me into liking him.

I will always trust Scar's evaluations above my own (he deserves to be in the hall of fame), but man I just don't grade Hawkins well when I watch him play. Someone talk me into liking him.

Looks like preparation for the most probable case where Spriggs & co. are far away from where we could draft them. I would assume that the correct way to formulate is that the Patriots like Hawkins relative to how many resources they would need to give away to draft him.

That doesn't mean that he is extremely highly rated on their board.

Looks like preparation for the most probable case where Spriggs & co. are far away from where we could draft them. I would assume that the correct way to formulate is that the Patriots like Hawkins relative to how many resources they would need to give away to draft him.

That doesn't mean that he is extremely highly rated on their board.

Understandable, and that's a smart perspective. My concern is that I barely consider Hawkins draftable. I think he's slow, weak, and clumsy. Nothing about his tape encourages me. Ah well. In Scar I trust.

Understandable, and that's a smart perspective. My concern is that I barely consider Hawkins draftable. I think he's slow, weak, and clumsy. Nothing about his tape encourages me. Ah well. In Scar I trust.

I thought that about Tre Jackson (maybe not the weak part).

Midwestpatsfan pretty much said it all...but I would throw in Willie Beavers of Western Michigan as a mid to late round pick. I like his measurables and has the ability to man the left side.

And you were correct to think that.
I disagree with this in the case of Hawkins. I don't see it as an athletic issue, but more of a strength issue. He gets off balance because he lunges at defenders trying to create power.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back