PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is the favorite to win the AFC East?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

AFC East champion?

• Buffalo Bills

• Miami Dolphins

• New England Patriots

• New York Jets

Results are only viewable after voting.

crawhammer

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Right now, Buffalo is still the favorite to win the division. The only way New England can flip that is by significantly upgrading at quarterback. You can read a lot of fans trying to talk themselves into believing Newton really wasn't all that bad, it was more about the lack of weapons. As much as Newton's supporting cast was pathetic, and as much as they may have improved with the FA acquisitions, Newton is a washed up stiff who would make the '89 49ers look bad. Two breakout hopefuls at TE and two middling WR's aren't going to compensate for Newton's limitations as a passer.

Will New England have the best defense in the division? Probably. Special teams? Sure but whatever. Best running game? Ok, maybe. Coaching staffs? It's legitimately debatable, McDermott is no fool, and there's no better OC & QB duo in the NFL right now than Daboll & Allen.

However, here's where you come across the biggest difference maker...

QB: Cam Newton
WR: Nelson Agholor, Kendrick Bourne, Jakobi Meyers & Julian Edelman
TE: Hunter Henry & Jonnu Smith

QB: Josh Allen
WR: Stefon Diggs, Emmanuel Sanders, Gabriel Davis & Cole Beasley
TE: Dawson Knox & Jacob Hollister

Check mark at TE for New England for sure, but at WR and especially at QB, Buffalo has a big enough of an advantage that it'll make up the difference and then some.

If New England wants to contend for the division next year then they need an upgrade at quarterback. Otherwise with Newton their ceiling is 10 wins, which is Buffalo's floor. So, as it stands now, Buffalo is still a strong favorite to win the division, because of practically one position.

I expect it's pretty close. We were last year not far away from beating them. With that team !!. Our schedule might be easier. I can see more than 10 wins for sure. Maybe it's a bit optimistic. I hope Newton improves with full TC working on his footwork and mechanics. Get the ball out quicklier.

vote: NEP

Right now, Buffalo is still the favorite to win the division. The only way New England can flip that is by significantly upgrading at quarterback. You can read a lot of fans trying to talk themselves into believing Newton really wasn't all that bad, it was more about the lack of weapons. As much as Newton's supporting cast was pathetic, and as much as they may have improved with the FA acquisitions, Newton is a washed up stiff who would make the '89 49ers look bad. Two breakout hopefuls at TE and two middling WR's aren't going to compensate for Newton's limitations as a passer.

Will New England have the best defense in the division? Probably. Special teams? Sure but whatever. Best running game? Ok, maybe. Coaching staffs? It's legitimately debatable, McDermott is no fool, and there's no better OC & QB duo in the NFL right now than Daboll & Allen.

However, here's where you come across the biggest difference maker...

QB: Cam Newton
WR: Nelson Agholor, Kendrick Bourne, Jakobi Meyers & Julian Edelman
TE: Hunter Henry & Jonnu Smith

QB: Josh Allen
WR: Stefon Diggs, Emmanuel Sanders, Gabriel Davis & Cole Beasley
TE: Dawson Knox & Jacob Hollister

Check mark at TE for New England for sure, but at WR and especially at QB, Buffalo has a big enough of an advantage that it'll make up the difference and then some.

If New England wants to contend for the division next year then they need an upgrade at quarterback. Otherwise with Newton their ceiling is 10 wins, which is Buffalo's floor. So, as it stands now, Buffalo is still a strong favorite to win the division, because of practically one position.

Now compare defenses and special teams. Those are important, too, and the Pats have the edge in both. The Bills still have the edge but it would also be a surprise to me if the Pats take back the East next year. I refuse to believe that BB would put all of his QB eggs in the Newton basket.

Last edited:
Buffalo. Until QB is actually fixed we can’t expect the Patriots to win the division. I love what they have done in free agency, and I think they are a better team now than last season’s version, but unless Newton suddenly turns back into an MVP caliber player it’s hard to expect success.

If the Pat's don't upgrade at QB after all the moves they've made, then it will be like having a Ferrari with a CVT transmission.

Now compare defenses and special teams. Those are important, too, and the Pats have the edge in both.
....and coaching and ST and schedule. The OP has no understanding of anything that isn't on PFF or in Pro-Football Reference.

Troll job to rile up the natives....as usual.

....and coaching and ST and schedule. The OP has no understanding of anything that isn't on PFF or in Pro-Football Reference.

Madden based. 7 on 7 flag football.

The day the OP has something positive to say about the Pats, he'll shuffle off to go troll Buffalo fans, and we shan't hear from him again.

Change the record...

We are a month away from the Draft and over 5 months to the start of the season......ingenious thought for a Thread Title in March, especially with our unknown QB situation.
Give me patience.

That’s prob why these areas were glossed over by the OP.

Yup. The Bills front 7 is not great and they did not have the cap space to add anyone if FA. Getting Star Lotulelei back will not fix all of their issues. They had trouble getting to the QB last year and Hughes is getting long in the tooth. After White, cornerback is a big question mark for them.

The day the OP has something positive to say about the Pats, he'll shuffle off to go troll Buffalo fans, and we shan't hear from him again.

Change the record...
Aaah, good to know. I’ll add him to my ever-growing list. I’ve named it “Keeping Up With The Adam Joneses”.

Pats are a playoff team with a better QB. Division- wouldn’t go there yet.

I generally don't like the whole fandom purity test stuff, but the OP's reaction to Cam being re-signed was "go Bucs". Should tell you everything you need to know.

This thread exists to stir the pot. While I certainly respect the mods here have a challenging job managing all of us jackasses, IMO they should've waved the magic wand for Craw a long while ago.

Craw is definitely anti Bill to a fault but we won't go there. I didn't think the OP was trolling but we know at any time that could change and if/when it does, this thread will be locked.

Pats are a playoff team with a better QB. Division- wouldn’t go there yet.
....Which is a reasonable take at this point in the offseason. Until proven otherwise, no question the Bills are a superior team right now.

I actually expect the Bills to take a step back this year and be fighting for a playoff spot not the bye. They overachieved last year and now have the pressure of being one of the better teams with a QB that other teams will use as a measuring stick. I think the Pats can split with them and its the games against Miami that will determine the division winner. I would say too close to call right now lets see what the draft brings. Either way should be an entertaining year that comes down to the wire and thats all I ever hope for.

We are hopefully a WC this year. The extra game will make things interesting. I think 11 wins will be a must to get in.

The day the OP has something positive to say about life, he'll shuffle off to go troll Buffalo fans, and we shan't hear from him again.

Change the record...
FIFY

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots