PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Is Sony Michel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the Pats pretty much have no choice but to run the ball with Sony.

I hope McDaniels is more creative in the formations that lead to Sony runs. It's been pretty obvious pre-snap, when Sony is going to run the ball. I want to see more runs out of the shotgun. I'm fine with the stretch run plays but I better not see one of those on third and one ever again.

the Pats pretty much have no choice but to run the ball with Sony.

I hope McDaniels is more creative in the formations that lead to Sony runs. It's been pretty obvious pre-snap, when Sony is going to run the ball. I want to see more runs out of the shotgun. I'm fine with the stretch run plays but I better not see one of those on third and one ever again.

It's not that they run with him, it's that when he's on the field, the ball's going to him regardless of whether the playcall is a run or pass. It's hard to look at that and see a coaching staff that isn't forcing the issue, or worse, trying to justify picking a 1st round running back.

Michel looked terrible but you gotta admit our run blocking was also poor. It's too early to give up on the kid but he has looked bad. But then again JAX makes a lot of good backs look bad.

We're on to Miami. Our main task is to win battles on the trenches. The gameplan was premature imo. We ran into brick walls all day and still insisted on going to the run game when we needed the passing game working to open up holes for the run game instead. I blame the gameplan on Josh McD and not adjusting when he saw it wasn't working.

He’s that slow guy we replaces the real fast guy with. Fast guys would be just what they expect

I'm not usually one to blame McDaniels because I think he's a fine coach, but I don't know how you expect a guy to succeed when you're that predictable.

He has played 36 snaps. Something isn’t predictable the first time you do it.

He has played 36 snaps. Something isn’t predictable the first time you do it.

He's played 39 snaps if you include the three nullified by penalty, and he's gotten the ball or been thrown it on 33 of them.

I don't pretend to know what world you live in where that's not predictable, but boy you never get tired of your shtick, do you?

He's played 39 snaps if you include the three nullified by penalty, and he's gotten the ball or been thrown it on 33 of them.

I don't pretend to know what world you live in where that's not predictable, but boy you never get tired of your shtick, do you?
It’s very simple. When Sony Michel went into the game for the first time ANYTHING they did would be unpredictable. Having played only 36 snaps it is ridiculous to think that during those 36 it suddenly became predictable, considering it was in just 2 games. (By the way calling a pass than ends up being thrown to the rb is not “predictable”)
You can’t give away a tendency when you are in the process of establishing the tendency.

I don't think Michel has looked that bad as a runner. The OL is playing like it's the Devey era, so that doesn't help. The predictable playcalling doesn't help either.

His pass game value is extremely low right now, unfortunately, which makes it hard to fix the predictable playcalling. Hopefully he can improve his hands soon, because I think we'll look upon him more favorably if he can become a threat catching the ball.

It’s very simple. When Sony Michel went into the game for the first time ANYTHING they did would be unpredictable. Having played only 36 snaps it is ridiculous to think that during those 36 it suddenly became predictable, considering it was in just 2 games. (By the way calling a pass than ends up being thrown to the rb is not “predictable”)
You can’t give away a tendency when you are in the process of establishing the tendency.

I don't even know what you're saying here. He got the ball on 85% of the snaps he's played this year. Do you not understand how easy it is for a defense to go, huh, Sony's on the field, that means he's almost assuredly getting the ball? Do you not understand how easy it is to defend an offense that targets a player almost every single time he is on the field? Those passes were designed swing passes to Michel.

They obviously established a tendency in those two games that they were going to feed Sony every time he was in the game. It was wildly predictable, and the Jaguars and the Lions clearly caught on and took advantage of it. That's garbage coaching no matter how you slice it. Even you, even you, have to see that.

It may change going forward, but it's something to contextualize both the offense in those two games and Sony's struggles.

I don't even know what you're saying here. He got the ball on 85% of the snaps he's played this year. Do you not understand how easy it is for a defense to go, huh, Sony's on the field, that means he's almost assuredly getting the ball? Do you not understand how easy it is to defend an offense that targets a player almost every single time he is on the field? Those passes were designed swing passes to Michel.

They obviously established a tendency in those two games that they were going to feed Sony every time he was in the game. It was wildly predictable, and the Jaguars and the Lions clearly caught on and took advantage of it. That's garbage coaching no matter how you slice it. Even you, even you, have to see that.

It may change going forward, but it's something to contextualize both the offense in those two games and Sony's struggles.
Michel carried 7 times for 40 yards in the second half of last game. So I guess the lions didn’t catch on.

Of course it will change going forward because it has been established as a tendency.
You are saying that since the used him like that, teams retroactively knew it was going to happen.

I am going to guess that Sony has looked good in practices. That's why the gameplan was designed around him. However I'd like him to be less of a focus in the next gameplan and instead focus on spreading the ball around and getting Brady into rhythm first.

Once Brady is slicing the defense apart with passes, it becomes much easier to hand the ball off to Sony because they can't key against the run. If the coaches are seeing something good in Sony, that's all well and good. But we need to change things up if we're going to get this offense jump started. It should all begin with Brady, and Sony should be the bonus weapon, not the other way around. Hopefully Josh McD agrees with this idea when he comes up with the game plan against the Dolphins.

It's not that they run with him, it's that when he's on the field, the ball's going to him regardless of whether the playcall is a run or pass. It's hard to look at that and see a coaching staff that isn't forcing the issue, or worse, trying to justify picking a 1st round running back.

Might open up some nice play action if only our two lightning quick wideouts can get separation deep. If Gordon plays, the Patriots should be able to absolutely FEAST on PA off of Michel. No doubt the Dolphins have seen that on tape as well.

Might open up some nice play action if only our two lightning quick wideouts can get separation deep. If Gordon plays, the Patriots should be able to absolutely FEAST on PA off of Michel. No doubt the Dolphins have seen that on tape as well.

Maybe. One of the few plays with Michel that didn't go to him was the Slay interception, where Brady play-faked to Michel and heaved it deep for Dorsett. That was clearly what they were trying to set up with those seemingly headscratching handoffs to Michel while down by two scores, and Slay still read the play perfectly. Gordon's obviously a different player, but we'll see. I'm skeptical about the offense all around, it feels very cute to me right now.

I hear that Patterson and Dorsett are really fast and athletic.

Hope we see this Sony Michel, hopefully he's just having a slow start, it's not like he suffered a major injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents