PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do the Pats select with the 23rd overall pick?

I think Jules, sanu, and another year of growth for Harry should produce better results. But I would not be surprised we get a true number 1 receiver by trade. I don’t think taking another rookie in the draft is going to help Brady much. I’m hoping that we completely overturn the tight end position. Lacosse was a bust, Watson is older, and Izzo never did much. I think running back is set. I liked how Michel and burkhead ran and white is always great.
Agreed. I believe it's something you can go after 12 for but at this point it is what it is. We need an upgrade one way or the other but I definitely could see a trade. WR or TE.

1 - guard from Toledo
2 - Sanu
3 - traded for 2021 second and 2020 4th
3 - fullback from Miami of Ohio
3 - Defensive back with weird name (see
Ras-I, Duke, JoeJuan)
4 - guy from a service academy

I don't know who are targeting, but here are positions that we need to fix:
  1. DL: Doesn't matter if it's interior or EDGE, we need another good DL. Lawrence Guy is not getting younger, and everyone else on that DL unit is inconsistent. I'd focus on another interior lineman to replace Shelton, first.
  2. TE: Watson is retiring and we don't have anyone good on the roster. We might have to double-dip on this position because both LaCosse and Izzo are JAGs.
  3. OL: Marcus Cannon is old and injury-prone, and there is a chance that we might get priced out of Joe Thuney.
  4. RB: Sony Michel bad.
  5. WR: I think we should try to sign free agents than drafting one. We whiff on so many WRs in the draft that despite being the deepest WR class in years, it's still more likely than not that we whiff a pick on WR.
Yeah, this team has a lot of holes.

I don't know who are targeting, but here are positions that we need to fix:
  1. DL: Doesn't matter if it's interior or EDGE, we need another good DL. Lawrence Guy is not getting younger, and everyone else on that DL unit is inconsistent. I'd focus on another interior lineman to replace Shelton, first.
  2. TE: Watson is retiring and we don't have anyone good on the roster. We might have to double-dip on this position because both LaCosse and Izzo are JAGs.
  3. OL: Marcus Cannon is old and injury-prone, and there is a chance that we might get priced out of Joe Thuney.
  4. RB: Sony Michel bad.
  5. WR: I think we should try to sign free agents than drafting one. We whiff on so many WRs in the draft that despite being the deepest WR class in years, it's still more likely than not that we whiff a pick on WR.
Yeah, this team has a lot of holes.

I agree with you on some parts. I’m hoping we can get Raekwon Davis in the draft to replace Shelton. Then a double dip at tight end. Preferably one who can block and catch well enough then hunter Bryant to play that Hernandez role we used to have. But I do think your being a little harsh on Michel. He played pretty well and I think he gets better as games go on.

You gotta start with the QB situation and that expenditure in relationship to the cap, will Tom be back for reasonable money or will he walk??

If he walks what do the Pats do?? Stidham?? + experienced qb who washed out from another team??

The lack of a big TE with a big catching radius was an obvious need, particularly in the Red Zone..

Develin?? Or another FB, or better still a big back.

Can Edelman recover from his injuries, or is he done also??

Lots of questions and not all that many answers, but it all starts with #12 and what he and they decide to do...

With the amount of holes they will probably have to trade down.

It depends on what happens and what they do in the FA before the draft.

In this order:

- Is Brady returning? Is he taking some discount if BB promises to upgrade Offense with more weapons TE/WR trade/FA for one last try?
- any other player like DMc, JMc, Andrews retiring?
- Based on that we have an indication how much Cap they will have, maybe some extentions or restructures to free up cap space
- Whom of the own FA will the try to extend and get it done?
- Whom of the other FA are they going to target and get it done?
- Do they go for trades (assuming TE/WR)?
- See what is left as the biggest need and if there is anyone on the board they value as worth the 23rd pick they go for it. or trade down for more picks.

Agreed. I believe it's something you can go after 12 for but at this point it is what it is. We need an upgrade one way or the other but I definitely could see a trade. WR or TE.

Who do you like for the Pats to take at QB? What are your thoughts about Fromm or Love?

I think Jules, sanu, and another year of growth for Harry should produce better results. But I would not be surprised we get a true number 1 receiver by trade. I don’t think taking another rookie in the draft is going to help Brady much. I’m hoping that we completely overturn the tight end position. Lacosse was a bust, Watson is older, and Izzo never did much. I think running back is set. I liked how Michel and burkhead ran and white is always great.

God knows BB has tried

- Gambling on JG
- Asking about AB/OBJ
- Going after Beasley, Tate, Humphries
- Drafting Harry
- Signing AB
- Trading for Sanu

Harry has showed enough for me to get excited, McD (who I think is back as well as 12) has to incorporate him properly and more, a jump ball big body WR has been a rarity in NE

Sanu better ball for 600-800 yards next year, because right now that deal is gross

While I think another young WR on Day 2 or early Day 3 would be nice, we have 3 locks at WR next year in Edelma, Sanu, and Harry

Hopefully BB cans wing a 3 for OJ Howard and/or draft a good TE

Everett and Henry are FAs as well, but won't begin to envision NE's cap situation

Who do you like for the Pats to take at QB? What are your thoughts about Fromm or Love?
Fromm would be an excellent fit if he enters

Hurts and Perkins both interest me later

So we can waste another year with a rookie WR? I say DT or OL. They couldn't stop the run late in the year and definitely to inject some talent on the OL.

Lol we have the worst offense in the nfl with zero young talent and you want to draft defense

OT or best wr available when it's our turn

I like a healthy Jules, Sanu and Harry at WR. I think this team really needs SPEED though. We need a WR who threatens the D deep. Whether through draft, trade or FA let’s get a true speed threat. Then TE would be nice. Watching Dawson Knox for Buffalo had me envious. I truly don’t believe this Dynasty is over. Just need a HEALTH and a few more pieces and we can win #7!

Confirmed- with the Saints loss the Pats get the 23rd overall pick.

We will probably draft somebody with a third or fourth round grade

See the Pats drafting Raekwon Davis or OL in the first round.
I also strongly believe BB will draft at least one TE in April but would be surprised if it would be with the 1st round pick, one of the 3rd round picks is more likely

Last edited:

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back