PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who’s your favorite player in the 2019 draft ?

Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame

I'm only looking at players who might actually be on the board at 32.
He's big, strong, athletic, stops the run and can rush the Qb.

Checks all the boxes for me at this early point.

I think he's one of the best pass rushing interior linemen in this draft. He's kind of inconsistent holding the point at times. Some games I think I'm seeing the next Seymour, and other games . . . well . . . he looks like he'd be run over in the NFL. I'm willing to gamble on his upside, though, if the Patriots think it's a fixable technique or conditioning issue.

I think he's one of the best pass rushing interior linemen in this draft. He's kind of inconsistent holding the point at times. Some games I think I'm seeing the next Seymour, and other games . . . well . . . he looks like he'd be run over in the NFL. I'm willing to gamble on his upside, though, if the Patriots think it's a fixable technique or conditioning issue.

Good comparison, it's what I see too. Belichick and Schiano can coach up the Seymour parts. I saw a video of Gerald McCoy talking about Schiano when he coached the Bucs and he said he was taught more about football in the two years under Schiano than he knew his entire life. I've seen sites that rate Jeffery Simmons(pre-acl) higher but Tillery looks a lot better IMO and should be a riser.

This Qb isn't my favorite player but I'd like to see BB take him with a late pick or sign him as an UDFA.

Kyle Kempt Iowa State. I think he has at least some of the "I've got something to prove" thing going on like Brady did.
He had a rough time early in his college career but the fact his first scholarship offer was from Stanford's Jim Harbaugh shows he isn't chopped liver. He ultimately ended up at Iowa State and sat until an injury gave him his chance. This guy hadn't even thrown a pass in 2017 but became the starter vs Oklahoma and Baker Mayfield. The result: An historic win.
Iowa State was down 24-13 at the half but Kempt led a comeback to beat Baker Mayfield's Sooners 38-31.
Kempt later led his team to a Bowl win. He petitioned the NCAA to let him play one more year and it was granted but this past season was cut short by injury.
He seems like an under the radar kind of player that might be a better pro in the right system. He has good size and vision IMO but his arm needs to get stronger.

Renfrow is my favorite, by a mile.

Tough not to root for a guy like Allen, who seems to have turned his life around.

Last Chance Coup | NFL.com

Love that. Seems like a good kid, who done something stupid.

Just watched some tape on him.. he can cover, solid tackler, good at blitzing as well.

I'd take him here...

Just scouted him I like him in the second.
Good lockerroom guy check
Popular with teammates check
Good person check
Athletic check
Play maker check
Gets better each year check
Hard worker check
And is 6ft 3 6ft 4
Had a terrible supporting cast and a revolving door at coach.
Imagine what a few years with Josh and Bill could do remind me of Luck a little.
I'm completely fine with passing on Murray and Lock and taking Thorson In second or third.
Being a PA guy I'm also good with a certain Penn State QB in the 5th.

I've been reading up on Thorson, and I read this Last Word On Sports profile written back in August mentioning his low yards per attempt stat:
Very low yards per attempt: His season yards per attempt stat is a pedestrian 6.55 yds/att
Since 2009 players with under 7.3 yards/att on their final year weren’t really good in the NFL. Players such as Christian Hackenberg, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Ryan Tannehill, Christian Ponder, Mike Glennon, Trevor Siemian, Logan Thomas, Curtis Painter among others. Ryan Tannehill the best of the bunch so far had 7.1 yds/att which is significantly higher than Thorson’s 6.55 yds/att, but still he is not with good company. In fact, only two players in that span had fewer yds/att than him: Trevor Siemian (5.6 yds/att) and Curtis Painter (6.3 yds/att).
Thorson finished 2018 with 6.5 yards per attempt.

This Qb isn't my favorite player but I'd like to see BB take him with a late pick or sign him as an UDFA.

Kyle Kempt Iowa State. I think he has at least some of the "I've got something to prove" thing going on like Brady did.
He had a rough time early in his college career but the fact his first scholarship offer was from Stanford's Jim Harbaugh shows he isn't chopped liver. He ultimately ended up at Iowa State and sat until an injury gave him his chance. This guy hadn't even thrown a pass in 2017 but became the starter vs Oklahoma and Baker Mayfield. The result: An historic win.
Iowa State was down 24-13 at the half but Kempt led a comeback to beat Baker Mayfield's Sooners 38-31.
Kempt later led his team to a Bowl win. He petitioned the NCAA to let him play one more year and it was granted but this past season was cut short by injury.
He seems like an under the radar kind of player that might be a better pro in the right system. He has good size and vision IMO but his arm needs to get stronger.

He's the QB Version of Rudy
We have Etling

He's the QB Version of Rudy
We have Etling

True but if Etling had thrown exactly two passes in his career prior to his first start for Iowa State vs the undefeated Sooners who were the #3 team in the country at the time, I don't think he would have outplayed Mayfield like Kempt did on the road.

Kempt 18/24, 3 Tds, 343 yds
Mayfield 24/33, 2 Tds 306 Yds

No Ints for either player.

The Pats have virtually their whole 2018 draft class coming back and are loaded with picks this year so they should be rockin and rollin next year. That being the case, I don't have a problem using a late pick or signing Kempt as a UDFA, he may turn out better than expected or be nothing but a camp body. He definitely has negatives but I like his positives:

• A football player at heart. Not afraid to pursue a play down the field to help out with blocking even after the pass has long been completed.
  • Field vision is good, as is his processing speed. Surveys the landscape well and tend to always find where the open receiver is.
  • Shows an ability to read what the defense is doing. Has been able to identify and beat blitzes multiple times for big plays.

True but if Etling had thrown exactly two passes in his career prior to his first start for Iowa State vs the undefeated Sooners who were the #3 team in the country at the time, I don't think he would have outplayed Mayfield like Kempt did on the road.

Kempt 18/24, 3 Tds, 343 yds
Mayfield 24/33, 2 Tds 306 Yds

No Ints for either player.

The Pats have virtually their whole 2018 draft class coming back and are loaded with picks this year so they should be rockin and rollin next year. That being the case, I don't have a problem using a late pick or signing Kempt as a UDFA, he may turn out better than expected or be nothing but a camp body. He definitely has negatives but I like his positives:

• A football player at heart. Not afraid to pursue a play down the field to help out with blocking even after the pass has long been completed.
  • Field vision is good, as is his processing speed. Surveys the landscape well and tend to always find where the open receiver is.
  • Shows an ability to read what the defense is doing. Has been able to identify and beat blitzes multiple times for big plays.
What is the Earliest you would draft a QB and in what spots and which players?

Penny Hart is my favorite player in the draft.

Some draft twitter people were surprised by his Senior Bowl performance, but they shouldn't have been since he was a freshman All-American, the leading returning FBS receiver in yardage before the 2018 college football season and he was ranked in many publications top ten 2018 preseason wide receiver rankings.

6. Penny Hart, Georgia State

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-50-wide-receivers-2018

7. Penny Hart, Jr. Georgia State

Preview 2018: Top 30 Wide Receivers

9. Penny Hart, Georgia State

College football's best wide receivers for 2018

He disappeared from the spotlight due to our inaccurate, running QB and bland play calling from our ex-offensive coordinator, now the TE/special team coach for WVU.

Matt Waldman’s RSP Boiler Room No.197: WR Penny Hart (Georgia State), More Than a Slot?

Good question, last year's group was rated a lot higher so it depends on who goes to the Combine and how they do, but there's no one right now to get all excited about on day one and two IMO. It was a lot different when they took Jimmy. They had his body of work in college, then he shined at the East West Shrine game and went on to play well at the Senior Bowl after he was invited t0 it. They could see him getting better at each step. I hope they find a player with brains and an arm because a brain and an arm, not an arm and a brain, was the difference between Bledsoe and Brady.

Let's suppose some mocks are right and Haskins, Lock, Jones and Murray are gone in the top 2/3rds of the draft, that leaves one possible Qb I'd consider in the 2nd if he's on the board:

Will Grier.

He has a quick release with good arm strength and is accurate but has a tendency to let it fly deep when no one's open, that wild side will need to be tamed in the NFL. He appears to have good vision and reminds me of Drew Brees at times. From what I've seen, he's projected to go in the 2nd as of right now but he may rise so we'll see. He'd be a good fit for the Pats quick passing offense IMO.

Christian Wilkins - Clemson
Big guy who plays bigger in big games. Some mocks have him lasting into the low 20s - If he were around at 20 and I were BB I would move up and take him. I see him disappearing earlier

I like Hockenson and as a late rounder, Tommy Sweeney

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back