PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which would like to see Pats do on draft days 1 and 2?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which option would you prefer after day 2 of the 2024 draft

• Drake Maye, LT and Devontez Walker

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • Jayden Daniels, trade 2nd for Aiyuk and LT

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Trade down select Odunze, Penix and LT

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
I discovered a draft simulator this morning and wasted nearly all eight hours of my boss's day on it today.

After trying many, many different strategies I came to the conclusion the team needs to go QB and OT with the first two draft picks. No matter how hard I tried to pick a WR with their first or second pick - no matter what trade ups or trade downs - the QB/OT or OT/QB results looked better every time.

I was really trying to find a way make a WR earlier be the better master plan, but could not make it happen.

For example, one of the better ones was trading down to 7.
At that point the Pats have a choice of Maye or McCarthy, choose one.
At 34 I take the best OT on the board; in this case Suamataia.
By comparison the next highest ranked OT is Rosengarten, rated #87.
At 38 (via the trade) my choices at WR are Worthy, McConkey, Corley, Franklin, Wilson, Legette, McMillan, etc.

I'm not trying to suggest this draft simulator is flawless.
It just seems to me that WR should wait until their third pick.
The worthwhile OTs and QBs will be gone by then.

You're fired. We need QB, LT, WR with our first 2 picks.

Agree completely. Then sign Brissett to a 5 year extension and they can win a good 5-6 games a year until 2030.

I sense sarcasm.
Look at all the fun we are having with this high draft pick! Imagine having this much entertainment value for the fans every year!!
We might be happier than the perpetually contending teams.

I sense sarcasm.
Look at all the fun we are having with this high draft pick! Imagine having this much entertainment value for the fans every year!!

The only bad thing thing about it is that the options are so much more limited than picking at 10, 15, or where we are used to them picking, 32nd.

I sense sarcasm.

Honestly at this point I’m far more interested in what they do at 34, and with their 3rd pick. We know their options at 3 inside out. Whereas at 34 we really need to wait and see how the board falls on draft night. For me it again comes down to a few good options

1) One of the top OT’s, like Guyton or Mims drops to them, so take them.

2) One of the top Receivers, like Adonai Mitchell ,or Bryan Thomas drops to them, take them.

3) both tiers of top WR’s and Top OT’s get cleaned out, so trade down to the 40’s with the #34, and then trade up from #68 to the 40’s or high 50’s, and take OT/WR/and possible a defensive player who should have gone higher but got pushed down because of the run on offensive players in the first and early second rounds. Or they could double dip at OL or WR, as both run deep into the second round, and even 3rd round at WR.

Honestly at this point I’m far more interested in what they do at 34, and with their 3rd pick. We know their options at 3 inside out. Whereas at 34 we really need to wait and see how the board falls on draft night. For me it again comes down to a few good options

1) One of the top OT’s, like Guyton or Mims drops to them, so take them.

2) One of the top Receivers, like Adonai Mitchell ,or Bryan Thomas drops to them, take them.

3) both tiers of top WR’s and Top OT’s get cleaned out, so trade down to the 40’s with the #34, and then trade up from #68 to the 40’s or high 50’s, and take OT/WR/and possible a defensive player who should have gone higher but got pushed down because of the run on offensive players in the first and early second rounds. Or they could double dip at OL or WR, as both run deep into the second round, and even 3rd round at WR.
Yes, Mims or Guyton.

How important is it to get an LT we think will be our 4-year starter, even if he doesn't start immediately?

How much difference is the quality in the 20's compared to the 40's?

Guyton or Mims (or perhaps another) may be worth moving up into first to get. I think that there may be much better quality in the 20's. In addition, we will have the option to have the player for an additional year.

For me, I would be very happy to get our QB at 3 and our LT at 23, even at the cost of our 68.

THEN, we can focus on taking a couple of shots at a WR.

I discovered a draft simulator this morning and wasted nearly all eight hours of my boss's day on it today.

After trying many, many different strategies I came to the conclusion the team needs to go QB and OT with the first two draft picks. No matter how hard I tried to pick a WR with their first or second pick - no matter what trade ups or trade downs - the QB/OT or OT/QB results looked better every time.

I was really trying to find a way make a WR earlier be the better master plan, but could not make it happen.

For example, one of the better ones was trading down to 7.
At that point the Pats have a choice of Maye or McCarthy, choose one.
At 34 I take the best OT on the board; in this case Suamataia.
By comparison the next highest ranked OT is Rosengarten, rated #87.
At 38 (via the trade) my choices at WR are Worthy, McConkey, Corley, Franklin, Wilson, Legette, McMillan, etc.

I'm not trying to suggest this draft simulator is flawless.
It just seems to me that WR should wait until their third pick.
The worthwhile OTs and QBs will be gone by then.

Yeah the simulator is addicting, you think you'll do just one more and an hour later still going. :D

Taking a WR at #3 would be a criminal act in my opinion. The universe has only made a very small amount of athletically gifted humans that are 6'8" 320 pounds like Joe Alt... but there are dozens of 6 feet tall WR's and you can find them through all 7 rounds of the draft.

WR also has the highest failure rate of any offensive position in draft history, nobody is more likely to bust than a WR. Take a safer position.

Some of the best WR's in the playoffs last season:

Cooper Kupp = 3rd round pick
Nico Collins = 3rd round pick
Tank Dell = 3rd round pick
Amon-Ra St. Brown = 4th round pick
Josh Reynolds = 4th round pick
Romeo Doubs = 4th round pick
Puka Nacua = 5th round pick
Stefon Diggs = 5th round pick
Tyreek Hill = 5th round pick

You don't waste a #3 overall pick on the WR position, don't even use a first unless the guy is a uniquely good athlete like Randy Moss, Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson... and none of the guys in this draft class are that amazing.

My best simulator results have come from trading back two or three spots and getting a high 2nd round pick in return. This allows me to take a QB, an offensive tackle... then I can splurge on a superweapon WR if I want or take the best player available at any position. Build the team from the inside out... it's just smarter.

Yes, Mims or Guyton.

How important is it to get an LT we think will be our 4-year starter, even if he doesn't start immediately?

How much difference is the quality in the 20's compared to the 40's?

Guyton or Mims (or perhaps another) may be worth moving up into first to get. I think that there may be much better quality in the 20's. In addition, we will have the option to have the player for an additional year.

For me, I would be very happy to get our QB at 3 and our LT at 23, even at the cost of our 68.

THEN, we can focus on taking a couple of shots at a WR.

I agree. I forgot about that option, but if they think they can get a franchise caliber OT in the 20’s then moving up for them with both of those picks makes a lot of sense. I would rather come away with two great prospects, than one great one, and two that are more questionable. My gut feeling is that the second half of the first round is going to be very different than most mocks are predicting right now, so we should see a really good prospect. And there is another option that hasn’t been discussed because we are all so focused on their most glaring needs at OT and WR, and that is the possibility of a blue chip defender at defensive back or DL/Edge falling into the 2nd round, and like Gonzalez last year being so much more highly rated than the remaining OL and WR’s that they feel that they have to go with their ratings and address need later. Cooper DeJean could play multiple roles in the secondary, or a cover corner like Kool Aid McKinstry could be paired with Gonzalez. Another possibility would be Powers-Johnson could drop to them, and give them their answer at Center for the next 10 years. Overall there are many different scenarios that could play out for them at #34, which in many ways makes it a far more interesting discussion than the #3.

Romeo Doubs = 4th round pick
The year we drafted Boney Thornton. And we had three separate meetings with Doubs. Ugh!

My best simulator results have come from trading back two or three spots and getting a high 2nd round pick in return.
This seems to be the way to go, except for the expected feeding frenzy on the top QBs. People lose their minds about this position.

My rapidly diminishing hope is that this will be the course of action. Get a stud LT, an elite WR for the outside, and still hope a strong armed QB Spencer Rattler who, if things had gone differently at Oklahoma, could have been in the discussion of top players to draft.

The year we drafted Boney Thornton. And we had three separate meetings with Doubs. Ugh!
I'd like to see Thornton get an opportunity with a good deep ball thrower and offensive line before we throw in the towel on him. But this is year three, if he can't stay healthy or produce some this season it will be hard to hold out any hope going forward.

Doubs is a solid possession receiver, nothing special, but he's a consistent good hands guy. George Pickens or Alec Pierce would have been great options as well.

This seems to be the way to go, except for the expected feeding frenzy on the top QBs. People lose their minds about this position.

My rapidly diminishing hope is that this will be the course of action. Get a stud LT, an elite WR for the outside, and still hope a strong armed QB Spencer Rattler who, if things had gone differently at Oklahoma, could have been in the discussion of top players to draft.
Think Rattler, Penix and Nix have to be in play if they go QB with the second pick.

Not taking a QB at 3 definitely changes things for the whole draft. In that scenario I think we would be best served to maneuver ourselves where we can target Penix at the best value. The # of teams needing a QB becomes much smaller once that 1st round goes by so they need to factor that in.

IMO, waiting until the 3rd round for an OT would be a huge mistake.

We need our LT of the future.
A LT in the 2nd round is pretty much a pipe dream as well. Most of them end up playing guard or RT. We’d have to be extremely lucky looking at the data.

2 rookies started at LT last year and they weren’t in the 1st round.

A LT in the 2nd round is pretty much a pipe dream as well. Most of them end up playing guard or RT. We’d have to be extremely lucky looking at the data.

Last year was a terrible year for OT’s, this year is the opposite. Both Guyton and Mims can play LT. Guyton played LT last season, but he was protecting his QB’s blind side, as he is left handed. He’s also considered on of if not the most athletic OL in this class.

Yeah but we keep hearing that there could be as many as 10 tackles taken in the 1st round. That would have to be a record.

Joe Alt
Bo Nix

You're fired. We need QB, LT, WR with our first 2 picks.
I'm trying to wrap my head around how three people agree, that two players should fill three positions?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back