PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which would like to see Pats do on draft days 1 and 2?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which option would you prefer after day 2 of the 2024 draft

• Drake Maye, LT and Devontez Walker

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • Jayden Daniels, trade 2nd for Aiyuk and LT

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Trade down select Odunze, Penix and LT

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
I figured Walker was a poison pill, but it doesn’t matter, as the poll has been declared invalid for failure to adhere to Patsfans.com poll posting criteria. RLKAG

Harrison Jr. Not really a fan of the QB's this draft and think it's a bad idea to put one in this position. Build up and draft one next year even if you need to trade up. Take the best WR in round 1, trade up with the second to get a decent lineman prospect, then just go best offensive player available the rest of the draft.

Pats should trade back. However, there are a few issues with doing so.

There are only 3 teams with multiple first round picks:
Minnesota (11 & 23)
Arizona (4 & 27)
Chicago (1 & 9)

Teams supposedly looking to trade up include:
Minnesota, NY Giants, Broncos, Raiders

I don't believe they could trade down beyond 8 and still get one of Odunze or Nabers.

I believe that the Pats NEED to get one of the LTs in the 1st or 2nd round.
I'd much rather take a QB later in the 1st or early 2nd than spend top 3 money on something that has been more miss than hit lately.

NY Giants: I don't think the Giants have the draft assets needed to trade up. Not when they traded 39 to Carolina as part of the Brett Burns deal. They'd have to give 47, 70, and a 1st next year.

Chicago: The Bears next pick after 9 is 75. They really aren't in the market to trade up. I could see them trying to trade back to pick up a 2nd round pick this year.

Broncos: They pick at 12 and then at 76. I don't see them having enough capitol to move up. Not after trading Jeudy. Plus, they're limited on Cap space.

Raiders: They have picks 13, 44, and 77. I think that's moving too far back. They Pats would have to package 77 with 44 to get back into the 1st round which would defeat the purpose, if you ask me.

Arizona: It all depends on if Arizona is sold on MHJ. If they are, the Pats may be able to make a deal to pick up 27 and 66. But this is more wishful thinking on my part.

Minnesota: 11 and 23 aren't enough to move up to 3. The problem is that Minny doesn't have another pick until 108. If they're sold on Maye or Daniels, they COULD offer up 11, 23 and Justin Jefferson. Jefferson is on the 5th year option so that would immediately free up cap space for the Vikings to sign their new QB to a deal. The Pats could even offer to Tyquan Thornton or Pop Douglas as part of the deal. That would give the Vikings a receiver opposite Addison. Having Added Jefferson, the Pats could grab one of the LTs and then grab a QB at 27 or they could reverse it and grab a QB if they like what's left and then a OT at 27. Yes, this is probably wishful thinking, but it's much more probable when you consider the 19M in cap space the Vikings would free up.

Do I have to pair Ayuk with Daniels?

Until we see the offers, this question is premature and unanswerable.

Pats should trade back. However, there are a few issues with doing so.

There are only 3 teams with multiple first round picks:
Minnesota (11 & 23)
Arizona (4 & 27)
Chicago (1 & 9)

Teams supposedly looking to trade up include:
Minnesota, NY Giants, Broncos, Raiders

I don't believe they could trade down beyond 8 and still get one of Odunze or Nabers.

I believe that the Pats NEED to get one of the LTs in the 1st or 2nd round.
I'd much rather take a QB later in the 1st or early 2nd than spend top 3 money on something that has been more miss than hit lately.

NY Giants: I don't think the Giants have the draft assets needed to trade up. Not when they traded 39 to Carolina as part of the Brett Burns deal. They'd have to give 47, 70, and a 1st next year.

Chicago: The Bears next pick after 9 is 75. They really aren't in the market to trade up. I could see them trying to trade back to pick up a 2nd round pick this year.

Broncos: They pick at 12 and then at 76. I don't see them having enough capitol to move up. Not after trading Jeudy. Plus, they're limited on Cap space.

Raiders: They have picks 13, 44, and 77. I think that's moving too far back. They Pats would have to package 77 with 44 to get back into the 1st round which would defeat the purpose, if you ask me.

Arizona: It all depends on if Arizona is sold on MHJ. If they are, the Pats may be able to make a deal to pick up 27 and 66. But this is more wishful thinking on my part.

Minnesota: 11 and 23 aren't enough to move up to 3. The problem is that Minny doesn't have another pick until 108. If they're sold on Maye or Daniels, they COULD offer up 11, 23 and Justin Jefferson. Jefferson is on the 5th year option so that would immediately free up cap space for the Vikings to sign their new QB to a deal. The Pats could even offer to Tyquan Thornton or Pop Douglas as part of the deal. That would give the Vikings a receiver opposite Addison. Having Added Jefferson, the Pats could grab one of the LTs and then grab a QB at 27 or they could reverse it and grab a QB if they like what's left and then a OT at 27. Yes, this is probably wishful thinking, but it's much more probable when you consider the 19M in cap space the Vikings would free up.
It's gotta be 3 R1's to move to #3. So Minnesota is really the only buyer, based on your layout. 11, 23, and 2025 R1. Whoever is there is a possible franchise transformative pick. Someone posted what the Bills got in exchange for trading with the Chiefs for the pick that became Mahomes. The Bills hit on every pick, and yet the Chiefs win the trade with Mahomes. The Pats brass better be damned sure that whoever they are passing on isn't the golden ticket to the Super Bowl.

QB and left tackle with the first two picks... they can go wild taking weapons after that.

Football starts at the line of scrimmage, if you get the QB and line right... you can figure everything else out afterwards.

QB and left tackle with the first two picks... they can go wild taking weapons after that.

Football starts at the line of scrimmage, if you get the QB and line right... you can figure everything else out afterwards.
Agreed but this is a deep Tackle class so you can conceivable wait until the 3rd round.

I want us to get one of the top 4 QBs. If we can get extra capital and still do that even better.

The unlikely but ideal scenario for me would be to trade down from 3 to 5 and still be able to get Drake Maye. Use 34 on the best available OT and then trade 68 and the extra capital to get back up in the top 40 for one of the WRs.

The absolute must for me is getting one of these QBs. Even if we suck next year, if we end up outside the top 3 we'll need to give up an absolute boatload to trade up in what is supposed to be a worse class. That would complete sink any perceived value we think we are getting by trading down.

I am sorry I was waiting for the Bo Nix option. I do not think he will be a bad QB
I think he can be a Purdy type of QB, stronger arm though.

I don't think it would be a smart move to trade down. Take a franchise QB at 3, period. You don't know if you'll have a top 3 again for a while.

Take a good WR in round2

Take an OT in round3.

I don't think it would be a smart move to trade down. Take a franchise QB at 3, period. You don't know if you'll have a top 3 again for a while.

Take a good WR in round2

Take an OT in round3.
IMO, waiting until the 3rd round for an OT would be a huge mistake.

We need our LT of the future.

We could keep these Tarheels together.

It is highlights like this that make me NOT want to draft Maye. Noticed how on each pass, Maye underthrew the pass and the WR had to fight for the ball. He won't get away with that in the NFL. Maybe? No thanks, at least based on these two highlights.

It is highlights like this that make me NOT want to draft Maye. Noticed how on each pass, Maye underthrew the pass and the WR had to fight for the ball. He won't get away with that in the NFL. Maybe? No thanks, at least based on these two highlights.

Good point on those throws. Hard to have a valid evaluation on two plays though.

I discovered a draft simulator this morning and wasted nearly all eight hours of my boss's day on it today.

After trying many, many different strategies I came to the conclusion the team needs to go QB and OT with the first two draft picks. No matter how hard I tried to pick a WR with their first or second pick - no matter what trade ups or trade downs - the QB/OT or OT/QB results looked better every time.

I was really trying to find a way make a WR earlier be the better master plan, but could not make it happen.

For example, one of the better ones was trading down to 7.
At that point the Pats have a choice of Maye or McCarthy, choose one.
At 34 I take the best OT on the board; in this case Suamataia.
By comparison the next highest ranked OT is Rosengarten, rated #87.
At 38 (via the trade) my choices at WR are Worthy, McConkey, Corley, Franklin, Wilson, Legette, McMillan, etc.

I'm not trying to suggest this draft simulator is flawless.
It just seems to me that WR should wait until their third pick.
The worthwhile OTs and QBs will be gone by then.

I discovered a draft simulator this morning and wasted nearly all eight hours of my boss's day on it today.

After trying many, many different strategies I came to the conclusion the team needs to go QB and OT with the first two draft picks. No matter how hard I tried to pick a WR with their first or second pick - no matter what trade ups or trade downs - the QB/OT or OT/QB results looked better every time.

I was really trying to find a way make a WR earlier be the better master plan, but could not make it happen.

For example, one of the better ones was trading down to 7.
At that point the Pats have a choice of Maye or McCarthy, choose one.
At 34 I take the best OT on the board; in this case Suamataia.
By comparison the next highest ranked OT is Rosengarten, rated #87.
At 38 (via the trade) my choices at WR are Worthy, McConkey, Corley, Franklin, Wilson, Legette, McMillan, etc.

I'm not trying to suggest this draft simulator is flawless.
It just seems to me that WR should wait until their third pick.
The worthwhile OTs and QBs will be gone by then.

I agree that OT is our biggest need after qb, but about 8 or 9 OT’s are expected to go in the first round. At 34, we’re looking at a project. There are a lot of good receivers this year. We’re much more likely to get a number 1 type of receiver than a future starting LT. This is going to be a long rebuild. I’d rather pick up a veteran that can hold down the position and look to draft a LT next year when we’re likely to have another early first round pick again.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back